A4 mkII questions

Well to be clear, in manual p.15 there’s a picture of “A4mkII structure”. From this you’ll get an impression that “128 Projects” is actually a highest level. Every project can have 4 globals, right? And if you load “project A” you’ll load also its global settings?

1 Like

that’d be handy - must look at this - but tbh i’m a one project kinda guy - reuse the tape, so to speak

I am closer and closer to buying A4mkII… :grinning:

Few more questions, if someone can clarify:

first, about USB-audio. Overbridge-infopage (https://www.elektron.se/products/analog-four-mkii/) says that you can “Use Analog Four MKII as a 2 in/2 out sound card (CoreAudio/ASIO/WDM)”. What that actually means? “2 out” means probably that you can route your main-stereo to mac/PC via USB, right? If it’s like that, does analog outputs still work? What about “2 in”? Does it mean that (in mac/PC) you can choose A4 as output device and A4 treats this signal like its analog L/R-pair? In other words, I’d like to know what A4 does with incoming USB audio; does it substitute its analog input, or what?

second, @Stickhit said “MIDI PCs can be used to switch patterns” (…). Is this normal simple Program Change message on some special channel (?)?

Many thanks for your help! I am a kind of a guy who wants to learn quite a lot about the instruments before I even have them…

Overbridge : FEBRUARY 2018 …

2 in/2 out = like a soundcard with 1 stereo pair of input and with 1 stereo pair of output

But with Overbridge you can get T1,T2,T3,T4 as separated + the Main outputs (Stereo) and the Inputs (Stereo) all separated… by the USB.

No Analog Outs work as expected even with Overbridge USB in used… (if i remember well…)

1 Like

Does this 2in/2out sound card feature work already? (Without upcoming Overbridge)
And still wondering that does A4 handle this “USB 2 in” same way like those analog ins?

btw. Just ordered my own A4mkII unit, so soon I can check these things in real life. One major reason to purchase this was having this lively forum. I really appreciate this!

2 Likes

Yes normal PC messages can be used to switch patterns. On the A4 Mk1 (and I suspect Mk2) you can set on which MIDI channel PC messages are received.

Per project, there are 128 patterns. PC 1 selects pattern 1, PC 2 pattern 2 and so on. It is not necessary to use bank select messages.

The A4 can also transmit the corresponding PC message on pattern change. Furthermore, when you switch the A4 on it will transmit a PC message corresponding to its startup pattern (which will be the same as the pattern at switch off).

Is it possible to loop envelopes on the A4 MK2?

1 Like
1 Like

And I thought I knew I knew the A4 front to back. I had no idea you could retrig envelopes and LFOs with trigless trigs. Super useful for the ambient music I make.

Thanks for posting that.

3 Likes

And add Trig conditions in addition and … :slight_smile:

thanks for the link, @William_WiLD

slightly off topic:
regarding lfo´s. to bad that the lfo´speed could be crossmodulated.
ie. lfo1 mods lfo2 spd and vice versa… this would deliver more complex modulation signals.

btw. is it possible to shape the lfo? for example interpolating the random lfo (generated via hold trig).
so instead of a stairsteps we would get smooth transitions from one to the next random value of the lfo…

get smooth transitions from one to the next

Slide parameters between trigless trigs does not the job ?

1 Like

thanks, i will try it.

also i found the following in an other thread:

will send an feature request anyway.

1 Like

Hi,

Having my first day with A4mkII. In general it has been what expected and more!

One question (which I have not found answer from manual):

Can I save a track sound straight to project “SOUND POOL”? I’ve just found a way that first save it to “THE +DRIVE SOUND LIBRARY” and then copy with Sound manager to Pool. Quite many steps if it’s like that…?

1 Like

@PLaine How about :

Yes + SND > Left Arrow : View Pool > Right Arrow : Yes : Name your sound / Tag
Done.

2 Likes

@PLaine Or…

Sound Manager > left Arrow : view pool > select slot > right arrow : Save TRK Sound
Done.

2 Likes

Hi again!

I have had my A4mkII for couple of days now. I like the sound a LOT!

But there are few down sides which make me even think about returning it:

This is the most crucial one: It seems to me that it can go out of tune. Sometimes more sometimes less. This is my first analog synth in many years and I am beginning to wonder that is this a “feature”, malfunctioning unit or a bug? I know I can be hypersensitive to tunings sometimes…

I noticed the same problem the 2nd time I used mine. But it was back to normal when I powered down and back up. It has not happened since (its been approx 2 months now, using it daily)

It happened to me once. I turned off the machine and back on again, and it has never happened since.

I’ve noticed that when I work a lot with sound locks, the instrument tends to sometimes freeze on that sound, and it’s spread out on all four tracks. This happens more frequently. It doesn’t overwrite anything, it just becomes the default selection for all four tracks - and it’s the sound I locked to, not the original sound on the track I was working on.

Turning off the A4 and back on again, also resolves that.

Perhaps the reason is the same, though. You work with something, tweak it a lot through p-locks or similar, and the machine just gets stuck in that tweak. Power it off, and back on again, and it’s unstuck.

Like one of them good old fashioned guru meditations on the Amiga.

it uses DCO so it should not go out of tune, this has to be user error (knocking tuning or similar) or a small bug.