Folktek Mescaline

I’ve heard of that a while ago! Just rewatched a few videos definitely has an interesting sound to it! Though all the demos I’ve seen seem to sell it as being a more aggressive sound than I’d be interesting in using. I dunno, the mescaline sound just immediately wooed me

Thats what I gather from the Mescaline. It sounds great in the vids but all the sounds seem to be the same-ish. How versatile is the Mescsline?

1 Like

Depends who is playing it … after some videos I think it’s inventor likes more the rough side of it but watch this …

But be aware … you might not like the optical colors :wink:

or this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrvQbyAU6ts

1 Like

That is, ultimately, kindof the problem with art-synths and the issue I’ve had with other Folktek things - they often look better than they sound, and have typically been priced so high as to be more art-pieces than music pieces. (But when they started getting into Eurorack with the Matter module, I happily grabbed one and have had fun with it).

Mescaline seems close to Folkteks Aether/Materia/Mentalis Triad which costs $4100.

The Dirty Electronics people who brought us the Mute Synth and Mute Synth II have a new series called Polytik. I think this too will cost around $400… Seems a little more limited than Mescaline (much fewer jump points) and still in that funky-little-art-synth category. I have their Mute Synth II. It’s fun. But limited. It’s nice to see things break out of the typical subtractive synth workflow. But … yeah, I’ve just burnt out on these things. You can often find some cheap little 555 based instruments on Etsy for less and still have fun.

Back to the Mescaline - one of the soundcloud demos reminded me a lot of ambient-era Hafler Trio which really really did pique my interest. I think it’ll be a pretty good bit of kit, all in all, but still a bit limited. But when you integrate it into a studio, you will get sounds out of it that are harder to get elsewhere.

2 Likes

That video is pretty inspirational! Makes me want regain my gumption and throw any aspect of pop appeal out the window and just make a noisy purposely experimental record. AND I DO give the instrument props for looking like it came out of some old sci-fi movie

1 Like

Yes.

I’m on the waiting list. I’ve no doubt I’ll get my Mescaline long before the Lyra-8 arrives. I think the two will complement each other well.

2 Likes

Greetings friends!!

Wanted to bring this post back because I’m seriously considering getting a used Folktek Mescaline.

Now that it’s been out for a while, what are people’s thoughts??

Anyone that has used one want to share?

Pluses and minuses / would you buy it again / other gear that sounds similar that you like better?

I have several other synths, drum machines & samplers - but this would be my first step into modular.

I don’t want to get too obsessed with modular like some of my friends…so the fact that this is self contained seems like a more “safe” bet.

To clarify, I am drawn to the Mescaline because of it’s sound!!

I also like it’s experimental nature…but I’ve become obsessed with the raw and dirty sounds that I’ve heard on Youtube.

I have not been able to match these sounds with either my current hardware or software.

That said - I gets another question would be - are there other pieces of gear that you can think if that sound similar??

(My second post here - glad to be here :slight_smile:

:see_no_evil::hear_no_evil::speak_no_evil:

4 Likes

I’ve had the Mescaline since the Kickstarter campaign.

I really didn’t get a long with it as I found the sound to be very limited and considered selling it many times.

However, recently I’ve managed to adjust and calibrate the pots at the back of the module and it has opened the sound pallatte up! This is now a keeper for me. It’s definately a very experimental synth.

2 Likes

@TobySD - I know, I know…I’m probably not being honest with myself…

@djd_oz - Thanks!

Care to elaborate on what the pot calibration helped with? I’m interested to know what you were able to get sonically, before and after the pot adjustments.

&, are the pots in the back for tuning of each synth voice?

(regarding it’s limited range. I am going into this with this assumption that it will be limited…but as I mentioned earlier, I love it’s raw and distorted sounds…
It seems to capture something that I’ve not been able to make before…and I’m still a huge NIN fan :slight_smile:

Im the opposite , trying to give noise a pop sensibility. I still cant beat taylor swifts pop noise style . Its a best seller https://theindustryobserver.thebrag.com/taylor-swift-once-released-a-song-of-white-noise-that-hit-1-in-canada/

2 Likes

Thinking to put on sale my Folktek Mescaline - an experimental modular system.

Wondering which price should I ask, since they are out of production and probably will never show up again. Can’t find it for sale, out of stock everywhere. It’s quite unique and more like an art object, so I guess will grow in price sooner or later. And I’m not in a hurry.

What do you think? What would be fair rate?

I’ll give you sixteen, but you have to accept before midnight. Whadaya think?

3 Likes

It’s already far after midnight here…

Other opinions?

I’ll go seventeen

edit: I’m hoping that’s dollars

2 Likes

What do you feel its worth selling for?

1 Like

It “feels” like it should be around 900$ or more. Just by comparing it to other modular systems I have… It offers a lot - sequencing, drums, effects, touch pads, “poly synth”… It’s a complete instrument with super unique sound and approach. But if I look at it from “rare art object” perspective, probably it should go for much more, and will for sure as soon as the time pass by.

Dont’ know… What’s why I decided to ask community for some thoughts.
Don’t want to let it go, but I’m not a collector…

When I read about, how people experience the customer service and general build quality of Folktek stuff, ‘expensive art’ is not the first thing, that springs to mind.

3 Likes

Just the ones at the back of the panel. It really takes sometime to experiment to get the correct settings. I can send you a picture of my settings if you like, just shoot me a PM.

Customer support is terrible, however I still have mine, If you also have some Eurorack gear, the Soundmachines NS1 Nanobridge is a great converter which will open up the system and will be able to do all sorts of crazy stuff with it.

In regards to the prices, checking the recent sold prices it is around $600 - $850 USD

3 Likes