[FIXED] Still no proper backup?

Correct me if I’m wrong but there’s still no way to backup a project properly. I did a sysex dump of a project (c6 received ~4MB of data). Then I created a new project and transfered the sysex dump back to the Digitakt. All the patterns were transmitted but the samples were not assigned to the project’s sample slots.
Am I missing something?
How do I assign the right sample to the right sample slot?
Do I have to take notes by hand (e.g. 1: Kick ABZ, 2: Snare 123, 3: ClosedHihat 1…) for 128 sample slots!?

3 Likes

Transfer 1.1 supports sample transfer as far as I know.

Sample transfer works fine with the new Transfer App version (I backed up all my samples :sweat_smile:). What’s missing is the sample assignment.

4 Likes

Yeah it’s not ideal, it should be able to properly play your samples if you put them back on the machine but you should keep track ‘manually’ on which are used on your projects … I think they’re working on a better solution but that’s a guess.

As far as I understood it, there should be some form of hashtag assignment which should identify the samples and place them in the correct slots if you transfer the samples back with the sysex. Your experience indicates that this does not work this way. Would be great if others who have tested this could chime in :slight_smile:

from the manual:

A sample that is used in a sound or a pattern can be renamed or moved and still work as intended. This is
due to a hash function that adds a file specific value to every file, and this value is independent of the file
name or the file’s location in the data structure.

3 Likes

The hash function is working properly (otherwise the whole +drive wouldn’t work;). What is missing is the assignment of the hash values to the sample slots.

1 Like

im slightly confused, even though the samples are still on the machine the back up doesn’t link them properly to the project when restored?

Exactly.

1 Like

damn, that is disappointing. did you put in a support ticket?

1 Like

Yes

2 Likes

Well there goes my hope of backing up. I have about 11 projects x 128 = approx 1400 samples to write down the order of and name in the soundpool

Weird

are you people even reading to what you are replying ?
the hash tag is related to the position of the samples within the +Drive and has NOTHING to do with the particular problem bespoken here.

in fact the problem might be even worser,
i for my own can often even not read the necessary parts of the sample names.
at least not from the SRC page. not shure about the samples management page.
which is a mess of its own to me anyway.
even if possible it would take me huge amounts of times and nerves to track down those sample names

in that sense yes, you are right, there is no proper backup yet !
i had me fooled myself also, thinking the sample transfer is doing it.
but thinking now closer, No ist not !

Does anyone else want to test this?
I would but obviously don’t want to destroy all my backups.

@Ess @Olle
Are you able to test at Elektron hq?
If this is a real bug people are going to be very upset in future when they find all their restored backups are destroyed

Thanks so much :relieved:

It works fine for me. The samples get assigned every time. Contact support.

8 Likes

Ok good to know it works :v:

Yes we’re reading! And we are reading other threads too, where this problem was already discussed … Are you reading?

Hi, i could someone help me, cause i didn’t managed yet to resend a project sysex back into a new project. I don’t see in sysex receive menu, a place named “project” so i tried with first pattern, thinking it could continue to others but not. I really missing something here.
Manual tought mention project receive but don’t about procedure
Do i have to just load the project sysex in Transfer, and then it will appear in the Dt projects list?
OR, have i to play the sysex while just be not any sysex dump menu,received…, so the patterns and settings get written automatically into the new project?