Finding it hard to love my new RYTM

Hope this cures you

Yes and no.
For example, the snare sounds like ass here imo, which sounds like it’s using the machine (which is hard to make sound good imo)
Overall some very cool sounds there, but many of those rely mainly on samples and not machines, which was OP’s argument.

Overall though, I think the combination of machines and samples is quite powerful and can create interesting results. If alone to add that extra creativity when manipulating sound, I currently have the mk1, which sadly can’t self sample etc, that feature alone would make things SO much better as it enables quick layering, which is really what most ‘good’ sounds make heavy use of.

Synthesize a quick bottom kick, sample it.
Synthesize a quick top kick, combine with previous sample, sample those again, etc.
This allows for immense control, something I would kill for atm.

I’m only in (to AR Mk2) one month to using it. Very awesome machine! For me it’s an upgrade from my Digitakt (I didn’t really decide yet if I will keep Digitakt for additional sample tracks, portability, and MIDI sequencing).

Personally I don’t think the analogue machines in AR are ‘all that’ on their own, though I didn’t spend all that much time on them yet (I’ve got other analogue modules and gear and some of those I really like for making drums from scratch already).

I think the strength of the machine lies in the awesome sequencer (a lot easier for me to handle than digitakt, partly owing to kits and some nice touches like the way func+mute works on AR).

Sonically, AR’s ability to layer the machines with samples and pass the lot through nice sounding analogue filters and overdrive, as well as to self-resample (this was such a needed addition to Mk 1) really brings the goods.

Would I like per channel compression and EQ, and a better reverb? Well, that would be nice, but we have individual outs on AR, so hey :smiley:

John

Really awesome stuff. I don’t own the AR but I’d say it’s a good companion for your style of music and you just need to work it a bit more out. How long have you been using it so far?

You have great advantages over the Digitakt - even if you just use Samples:

• you have 12 Tracks (still only 8 at a time, but sometimes handy for off-beat sequences)
  • you can layer Samples on top of the analog Engine
  • you have Scenes
  • you have Performances (i already loved these on the MK1 - they are so damn handy in live situations!)
  • you have quick Performance controls
  • you have individual Hardware Outputs

And you can sample / resample as well. So - even if you dont like the Sound of the Rytms analog Engines (which get used quite fast, im with you in that), you have so much more Performance Control on the Rytm MK2 compared to the Digitakt - while the rest is (almost) identical.

If you wouldnt have the Rytm MK2 already, i would prolly recommend the Digitakt, yes. But since you already have it - use its advantages over the Digitakt and keep it! Nothing wrong with that. And who knows: Maybe one day (by accident) you layer a sample over an analog engine and it sounds great?! :slight_smile:

Just my 2 cents though :wink:

4 Likes

_emphasized text_I feel like everyone else and want to just have all of them but that’s a lot of money.

I owned the mk1 and loved it but then got rid of it to get the Digitakt when it first came out. I got rid of the Digitakt before I really gave it a fair chance. I’ve had my eyes on getting another one but ever since the mk2 releases I’ve been contemplating going for that first and saving up for the digital boxes after.

I’ve always thought I’d try to keep the Digitakt and digitone with some other synths as a separate setup away from the OT and the rytm and hopefully A4 mk2’s for the most part. I’m always rearranging my setup so I can get a good sound from everything.

I’ve found that I usually only use one Elektron device one at a time with a few other synths or drum machines and have fun that way.

My issue is never finishing anything. I always feel like I’m either “learning” the machines or just always making groves that sound great and save them as small snippets of good fodder for later but never really make anything more than that.

I already know Digitakt is an excellent box that is very capable and has a quick workflow, which has had some great updates since I’ve sold mine. The Rytm mk2 is a beast which can hold its own especially with resaming itself. I know it’s a personal preference but I can’t decide which to go for first. And it’s not a matter of money but I have found in purchasing past Elektron machines together I never felt like I focused as much attention to each individually as I should have, lack of focus and too much excitement of having them all I guess. Lol.

I’ve only ever kept my trusty Octatrack as it’s the baddest Swedish army knive ever created. The rest of my set up has been narrowed down as well but I’ll be expanding with the rest of the Elektron machines again. I’ve settle with the Octatrack, MAM MB33, Malekko Manther, a keystep , DFAM, TR8S which is what I currently have on the table ready to go now.

2 Likes

Hm… Rytm was always a love & hate relationship. It has amazing low-end, BUT you have to handle it (envelopes, low-cut) otherwise it gets very fast muddy. Especially when you use the bottom machines (BD,SN,CP).
Kicks are huge, BUT you need to carefully adjust it and use some tricks (that are explained greatly here in the forum) like peak filter, one-shot-LFO to pitch and so on. Snare = meh, Clap = ok, Toms = meh, Hi-percussion = ok with the new machines.
The Filter with the overdrive is a huge point of the machine. Its like having 8-12 Overdrive pedals and can bring the sound nice to the front.
I sold it at the end because I had enough options for designing drums (DFAM, modular, Digitone) and just needed a jammable Machine and I love TR-Drums. So the amazingly improved TR-8S fits this spot much better. But I still think Rytm is a amazing drummachine. Its what you need and how deep you want to sink into it.

Funny, I get some great imo snares.
I want to mention something I dont hear much here, and its very powerfull.
Velocity Mod. 5 parramaters with + or - amount you get some very interesting changes in your sound (turn off vol to velocity) with only adjusting velocity (on the first page). Its like another performance mode .
:point_right::ok_hand:

3 Likes

knowing when to use a 1-shot LFO as an envelope to add dynamics that aren’t part of the machine’s standard synthesis path

Oh my goodness. I just tried this on AMP volume. It’s absolutely insane how much dyanmics this creates.

I set the volume to like 63 and then modulated it with the above mentioned exponential LFO.

This, for me, is the #1 tip for the RYTM I’ve ever received.

It’s like a different - better - machine!

I’ve updated all my kits with this, and they are much more lively now.

Everyone, stop what you are doing and try this now!

6 Likes

I use this trick all the time, really makes up for the lackluster amp envelope!

The box is as creative as you are. Dig deep, try anything and everything.

1 Like

If you have trouble liking the AR, I’ve always found the A4s synthesis just feels very natural for making drum sounds for me. A4mk1 and a drum sampler of your choice is a powerful and in some ways more straight forward if you are really interested in synthesizing your own drums. A4 + DT is a pretty brilliant combo and I’m sure it would be great with other samplers too.

3 Likes

I second that.