Finding it hard to love my new RYTM

Hey there nauts…

I bought a new AR MK2 a month ago and, try as I might, I just can’t get into its sound. I find myself only using samples with it… I love the workflow… the sequencer, retrigs, conditional locks… all amazingly awesome. I just can’t get the sounds that I like from the analog engines.

If all I’m using (enjoying) is the sample side of things, is there any point in me having the RYTM, or would I be better off with a Digitakt? I just bought a Digitone and am head over heels in love with it… so a DT would look good next to it :slight_smile:

Anyone else been in this boat? Thoughts?

3 Likes

Look into the synthesis behind your fav samples and try to replicate it on the rytm.

4 Likes

The Rytm is a beast.
I would recommend buying Collider on iOS if you have an iPad before making any rash decisions as that app really opens up very quickly the sheer wealth of sounds from each of the machines, with as little user effort as you like, the randomisation options really allow exploration into areas that a user may not have thought of or even imagined.
It’s a fairly small outlay that has the benefit of helping you make up your mind.
Failing that I’d still say keep at it.
I had a love hate relationship with the Rytm for years, it’s only now I’ve finally fallen in love, and I mean about 10 days ago! 3rd Rytm too!
I think that machine needs more than a month to prove itself although it sounds like you are attracted to the DT form factor, but would you be as attracted if you didn’t have the DN?
Sample the DN, also use the DN to control the Rytm etc.

Or sell it. :joy:

2 Likes

I had that same issue. I ended up selling it to get a Digitakt and I’m very happy.

I’d try to push the engines to make the most bizarre sounds you can get. Try to make snares/BDs from the different sounds. The impulse machines are fun.

I hope you’re able to find the sounds you want from the synthesis engines, but- if not- the digitakt is :ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand:

2 Likes

I think the AR sounds real good right out the gate.

But to kill it takes sharpening.

4 Likes

yeah, I must admit… the form factor is super-appealing! But it’s more that it’s all of my favourite things about the RYTM (sampling, plocks, retrig, sequencer etc), and the stuff that’s missing (performance controls, scenes, analog engine, individual outs) is the stuff I don’t use (yet)! I appreciate that I’ve only had the RYTM for a short while but I have been putting some time into it…

If you cut your losses now before you start to use the features on the Rytm that are not in the DT then you won’t know what you’re missing I suppose😄

No doubt you have spent time and if you are hankering for the DT then you’ll have a nice wedge of cash left over I’d imagine.

What drew you towards the Rytm in the first instance?

Also, if it’s a sampler you are after you would do yourself a disservice to ignore the daddy, the OT! But that’s another story…

I assume you dont make techno, as the rytm really is a one-stop techno powerhouse.
Probably other genres are possible on it too, but once i turn it on im making techno if i want to or not :slight_smile:
Boom boom boom

7 Likes

Have you considered the immense power and creativity of the Octatrack?

1 Like

Does it sound good though?
Seems you like the workflow.
I’m only using the OT as an effects box, no sampling.
I only use the RYTM for drums, but now it has the DVCO, might use it just as a 3 voice mono synth.
Typically I use the A4 for bass lines, leads type stuff, but with the DVCO I was thinking about using it for drums.

I think its safe to say most of us have been there.

My advice is to keep at it. I’m still discovering new stuff about my rytm, and I’m already years into the machine.

In time you will learn to coax better and better sounds out of the synthesis engine. It takes time to build the experience and judgement to make the best of the sounds IME. And in the meantime, by all means use the samples, and especially resampling as you have the mk II!

This is ”just my opinion man” but I think the digitakt is much much more a one trick pony than the rytm.

Nothing wrong with only using samples! They sound amazing through the analog engine, and you’ve got loads of great performance options via the pads.

2 Likes

Hmm… prob should have said… I also picked up an Octa from a fellow naut, but I’m a bit reticent to jump in due to the complexity of it… lol :slight_smile: I love the idea of it but the learning curve scares me a bit…

You know it’s a weird one… I’ve bought and sold a fair bit of Elektron gear over the years but I feel that it’s only recently that I’ve properly fallen for the workflow. And now it’s clicked, I really do love it. Conditional trigs are just amazing.

I guess I’m just still working out which pieces are gonna be the ones that’ll work for me. The DN is insta-love. The Octa is still an unknown at the mo… and the RYTM is frustrating me due to my inability to get it sounding the way I want (I’m not a synth novice btw…)

There probably isn’t much to be gained from grabbing something else! Except that I have this nagging feeling that the DT will be fairly immediate and then I can just get on with my music and enjoying the pleasures of the lovely Elektron workflow!

1 Like

Learning curve on OT is way over hyped.
If you ever learned how to use Ableton Live, then you’re already miles ahead.

8 Likes

Yep!
Can’t agree with this enough, the OT learning curve scare is tish and pish.
It’s as hard as you make it and listening to others about how hard it is has already affected you. Don’t let them in…

Try programming a vhs video to record the A-Team in 1986 while you’re away, THAT was farking hard I tell thee…

25 Likes

It can take time. I’ve been a long time Rytm user, and at first I didn’t like many of the sounds. But it came down to learning the nuance of the machine, knowing when to use a 1-shot LFO as an envelope to add dynamics that aren’t part of the machine’s standard synthesis path, learning the compressor, and learning the depths of the velocity/aftertouch/breath modulation parameters, the use of scenes, and the performance macros.

Try finding sounds in the presets that you like and see how they are constructed. The AR808 pack was one that turned me on to a lot of tricks I hadn’t thought of before. Once you learn a few tricks, it’s easier to visualize others, and that really opens up the sound palette

7 Likes

Yeah, I haven’t really dug into the performance stuff yet… it does look very cool!

Id like to add, if you try to make what you can with the rytms “limited” sound engines, you are really doing yourself a favour as a sound-designer. At least if you are making music on a DAW on the side.

Since what you can do on the rytm is quite limited (its vast, but its not an open analog synth), you learn to be more creative with what youve got, and so learn to build more from smaller blocks.
Ive gotten some great “aha” moments of sound design from this machine. Really made my DAW made music more spacious and personal.

Its really a great machine (speaking of the mk1, the mk2 cant be much worse), but of course, if you like to use samples im sure a digitakt and some sort of pad controller would be more portable.

2 Likes

That’s a good point actually… maybe I’m trying to run before I can walk… I haven’t checked out the presets because I’ve been trying to make my own. I’ll definitely do what you suggest.

Haa :slight_smile:

4 Likes