Elektron woes

have you got an example of a piece of music you made that clearly suffers due to phase cancellation and utilising overbridge how you desire?

but every other innovative asset of this machine works perfectly?

sorry, i’m not digging at you personally. but there’s a level of privilege and expectance in this forum that seems to be used to infer the machines are unusable… when they’re clearly weapons of mass audible destruction in the right, open minded, hands.

probably will regret posting this, just bored of the moaning.

9 Likes

That’s not the point. I purchased the product based on promised functionality that they failed to deliver. That’s not entitlement, unless you think that getting what you paid for is entitlement.

Having individual outs is key for the tracks to be properly mixed and integrated with the rest of my setup. Currently I can’t do that in hardware or software so that makes this device useless to me.

3 Likes

whats the issue with individual outs exactly? Sorry just never heard of this.

1 Like

i didn’t use the word entitlement.

if you buy any complex tech product as soon as its released expect to go on a journey of development, firmware updates and frustrating software bugs.

but stating its unusable seems extreme to me. maybe you can adjust your setup and make the most of the master outs.

There are stereo and if i try to mix to mono i get phase cancellation and part of the audio is lost, if I use a stereo splitter i lose amplitude and then have to boost the signal, greatly increasing the noise floor. In addition when the audio is panned across the center (if i have both left and right plugged into my mixer and linked) it completely phase cancels in the center. This cancellation happens before it reaches my mixer because if I flip the phase on my mixer it doesn’t resolve the issue.

1 Like

As you well know, you’re willfully confusing the intended and advertised specification with what you believed it may or should be.

So effectively you’re restating something you’ve covered elsewhere extensively in its own thread

In addition to that the other part of your post is already being covered in other threads so this thread may be merged to avoid duplication

4 Likes

Interesting, hadnt heard about that. Must be annoying.

Well let’s say I’m using my tracks for drums, a synth lead and a bassline. I want my drums to be in the same group and compressed with the rest of my drums that come from other sources. I want my synth lead grouped and treated with other leads in Ableton etc. If i have to just use the master that means in other for things to get mixed properly, the a4 has to output all sounds of the same type, otherwise it will sound disjointed from the rest of the mix.

nightmare

2 Likes

Very. I tried a insert cable and a splitter and both had the same issue. The only thing i haven’t tried is a mono sum cable with resistors, but because my mixer is xlr in only, I’d need to build it.

Covered and not resolved. Wilfully is not a fair assertion because people made a lot of suggestions that I tried and didn’t work with my setup.

Additionally, I feel like I’m respectfully voicing the fact that 2 years into supporting this company by owning almost every product in the line, I no longer feel served as a customer and am dissatisfied.

1 Like

What made you sell the Mk1s if you were happy with them?
Id be curious to know if analog keys behanves like your Mk2. I have the keys, but never hit this issue, having said that never used the individual outs.
Also, dont expect huge things from Overbridge, especially in terms of solving any latency issues you might have in your setup.

Modular lol. And latency with overbridge meant I could never get either of them sync’d with soft synths. Which pushed me to go hardware only for a time, but now I’m back to a hybrid system. I changed my entire workflow to accommodate Elektron gear and at the end of it all I’m very disappointed.

what about panning drums hard left, bass hard right and recording the lead on its own in an ableton audio channel?

unless of course you want it all live, but sacrifices have to be made sometimes

I tried overbridge for a while and gave up on it actually after a lot of testing. I bought an Arturia audiofuse which works well getting my sounds into DAW when I need it. But my DAW needs are very simple. Most of my fooling around is on the hardware only.

1 Like

Not having a go but if you knew OB was ropey from experience why have heightened expectations for the Mk2?

Having said that, I bought the A4Mk2 believing OB was ready! My bad! Was the final straw when I realised within my returns period and I sent it back. I knew Elektron wouldn’t hit the Feb deadline they set and figured I’d just sit things out.

2 Likes

Right, but that’s only a partial solution. If all 4 tracks need different groups I need to record individually which leaves no room for modulation over time unless i record the whole song one track at a time. The way it works right now I’m limited in what I can do with it. Which, for something that costed me nearly 2k after tax, it’s pretty unacceptable. I haven’t even turned it on in weeks, patiently waiting for overbridge to solve my problems and now it looks like I’ll be waiting even longer before I use it or selling and never buying Elektron again.

I guess I was a fool for buying into the hype.

3 Likes

Been there myself plenty of times!

1 Like

I actually owned 2 digitakts. Bought one new when it dropped, returned it because of the crashes. Bought one again used, and sold it again because it still had software issues and that lack of file transfer from the digitakt to the computer really bothered me.