Elektron Advice

Hi everyone, so I’ve decided I want my first elektron but the problem is I want all of them and can’t decide.
I use ableton exclusively and while I have dabbled in some hardware synths (ms-20, nord lead 2, minilogue, etc) I have sold all of them due to traveling/limited space and the fact that I would usually just turn to a vst instead.
However, lately I have been feeling very uninspired working inside my computer and I want a tool that can be my bread and butter but also an inspiring creative tool.
I have always lusted over the sound of elektron machines as well as the workflow.
The p-locks and trig conditions being the main draw to the elektron gear.
It’s difficult to say what I’m looking for sonically because I’m pretty experimental with my genre and sound explorations. I produce for other artists a lot and make a lot of hip hop, techno, house, industrial, etc.
I know from research that most Elektron users will straight away recommend the octatrack. It’s so amazing and I was about to pull the trigger but there is one thing stopping me and it’s the fact that there is no internal sound engine (if that’s not proper basically what I mean is there’s no synthesis in it/no ability to make sounds without samples). Obviously this thing could take me above and beyond with samples in a way that ableton couldn’t but I’m not sure if sample mangling is my main necessity right now as I like the sampling workflow in ableton pretty well. Also lack of overbridge/ability to export single tracks for mixing in protools is a bust for me.
I think right now the analog rytm is the most compelling, I use a lot of 808 style bass and subs and something about having analog drums in a modern box is enchanting to me, also overbridge is sick and the sample playbacks, resampling (that is if I get the mk2), and the fm abilities are beautiful. I’m also very interested in being able to run samples (even if they’re mono) through an analog filter/envelope. I’m just worried this isn’t the most “all in one” box and I’m questioning if something like the analog 4 or mono machine would be better suited for this sort of thing, but then they lack sample playback. I love the mono machine, one of my favorite producers Sophie use it exclusively and the outs for every channel provide a nice alternative to overbridge for getting individual tracks into your computer efficiently. I’m very big into sound design and that’s another thing I’m looking for, like building sounds from the ground up which maybe the AR isn’t best for.

So sorry for the long breakdown, I wanted to get out all of my thoughts/what I’m aware of so that I could get the most helpful answers from y’all. I’m also interested in the digitone, machine drum UW but didn’t mention them because I feel their strengths and what they lack have somewhat been covered above. I included a song I produced recently to give a reference for my specific sound. (Pls don’t dig into me for mixing/mastering I’m only 21 and I’m still learning) :slight_smile:
Cheers,
https://soundcloud.com/angelundercovers/skinny-boots-prod-neve

If i were you, Id be looking at the rytm, the a4 or the octatrack. All three of these have awesoem features and can be an all in one box (though you’ll eventually get them all).

2 Likes

It has a sound engine : its metronome ! :thup:

And you can generate sound internally with self oscillation and resampling.

You can also sample inputs without anything plugged and mess with a kind of white noise.

2 Likes

I started with the RYTM, then the A4, then the Octatrack.
If you aren’t put off by a massive amount of options but a lot of workflow study, the Octatrack is by far the king. If you have other MIDI based synths then you can do pretty much everything with the Octatrack (you can also manipulate sample like single cycle types to get synthesis on Octatrack too) that the RYTM and A4 offer.

If you want to start a little lighter on the the knowledge side, the RYTM is the best bet. It’s focused synthesis, simple sample manipulation and 8 voices allow you to do a lot and also get into Elektron’s workflow style pretty easily. I was able to write full songs on this unit very easily (especially as the “TOM” tracks are perfect as sample slot as one tom synth track can handle most of your tom needs freeing up the other two).

Personally, I’d get the A4 last as it offers the least flexibility in my opinion (just synthesis and CV tracking).

The one big caveat I would say about the Octatrack is if you don’t plan on having it as the central hub of your workstation/workflow, it might not be the right thing for you. If you are planning on it being the “studio Master” it will not disappoint. All you need is something like Expert Sleepers USAMO to record into your DAW with solid sync. I own one and am very happy.

The words “A4” and “least flexibility” do not fit together :wink:

6 Likes

If I were you, I would get a Digitakt you get sampler, sequencer and drums to boot plus the price is half that of other Elektron boxes and learning curve easier. Plus you can still use it to sequence other gear.

1 Like

The Octatrack is really fun and has a workflow that can’t be replicated with software(I’ve searched endlessly)

The Analog 4/Analog RYTM If you feel Analog can’t be suitably replicated with software(I don’t share this opinion

The Digitone for a nice/comfortable hands on approach to FM- more fun than purely scientific.

2 Likes

To start with a simpler Elektron gear with synthesis, midi tracks, and Elektron sequencers specificities I’d recommend Digitone, even if didn’t try it enough.

4 Likes

Analog Rytm Mk2 user here. I purchased it after feeling similarly uninspired by a purely Ableton workflow. I think the synthesis layers are worth investing in. I feel like you do get some special punch with the engines. I always end up layering samples with my synthesis layers, and to be honest I never use the cymbal engines. Still, I think the bass, toms and closed hat sounds are worth it. MIDI linking the AR with Ableton (AR slave, Ableton master) is solid.

I’m someone who wants very produced music and I’m worried that mixing inside the OT will have limitations. Is this false? Does anyone mix their songs in the OT? Is it dynamic ?

I record everything inside OT. I have no really finished stuff because I have no time for it now but I think its doable. Dynamic it can be.
Easier in a daw for sure.
You can record internally up to 8m30s (16bit) or 5m30s (24 bit) premixes / tracks a mix them, reading them from the CF card.

Well… if that’s the only thing stopping you: load a few single cycle waveforms and you’re good to go. (works with Digitakt too).

I personaly would recommend the Digitakt as it’s super easy to use and yet has all the main Elektron goodies. You can always switch to the bigger, more featured and more complicated Octatrack later.

1 Like

Honestly you’ll be well served by any of the devices you’ve listed if you’re just looking for a ‘box of tricks’ to inspire you next to your DAW. I think for that purpose I’d like the MonoMachine or Octatrack best myself, but you may be different. I’d recommend picking up the box that excites you most and if its not 100% your thing in the end flip it or trade it for something else :slight_smile:

Some of my thoughts on boxes I’ve owned:

I think the Rytm’s synthesis isn’t that deep. I’m eagerly anticipating the dual VCO. It’s got some great kicks and snares but most other sound engines don’t have that many options in machines. The real star is its master distortion and compressor. Its so tasty to put reverb before compression and go ham on the distortion. Its the box I’d sell first if I had to.

The Digitone is amazing fun to program and is great at making anything from deep EDM bass to subtle textures. It is however the box I found hardest to use fully standalone. Requires practice to get the most out of the 4 tracks. I assume this is also true for the A4 which I haven’t had my hands on yet.

The Octatrack is amazing for me as a ‘pre-DAW’ master brain. I record stuff into it. Mess around with FX. Record the internal tracks and then use more FX. Mess around with scenes. It did take me some time to get used to the idea of a ‘sampler’. I used it as a sample player for a while and really felt like I wasnt getting the most out of it.

Monomachine kind of feels like a synth Octatrack to me. It’s harder to grasp then more recent Elektron boxes but it has a lot of depth for crazy sounding stuff. Still need to get to know it better but I really like it so far.

1 Like

Yeah- it’ll be difficult to multitrack the OT and, while some have found it comfortable to do most mixing in the OT- I wasn’t one.

However- when mixing a track inside the OT you’re able to inject a sense of life sound-dynamics that would be difficult to replicate in software(maybe Traktor? Or serato? I don’t know what I’m talking about in this instance)

Composition on the OT is also a trip.

The alternative to the OT is the Digitakt, which-while fun- would probably be superfluous when using Ableton(the sequencing would be cool)

Sure. Just watch what you’re doing when you’re recording, and the OT is great for finished tracks.

However, all the Elektron boxes have enough going for them that once you know them, you can make finished stuff with just the one box, with no need for external processing. Their quality in terms of just pure fidelity, is world class.

1 Like

I dunno- there’s something really special about Elektron sampling- it’s like a magical tear in space/time

That was my thought regarding obtaining the Takt

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uxw00dk92I
I think this video made me reconsider the digitakt. is it just me or does it just sound so much punchier than the octatrack?

MD uw mkii > ALL

3 Likes

Confirmed!

The greatest Elektron!

After listening to the track (which is IMO a piece of art), I would suggest that you need a sampler to play vocal and voice performances and percussive stuff and one or more melodic instrument voices. The instrument could be a synth like an A4, a Blofeld, a Virus, a Novation Peak, or one of the excellent semimodulars (0-Coast, Lifeforms, Dreadboxes etc.).

But if you have the money to afford OT+AR+A4 and even a DN you would have much experimental possibilities.