DT pattern change to machinedrum

I know there are threads about this, kind of, but no clear answer. I just got a DT to replace my Korg emx1. I have my DT set up to be the master clock of my setup, which includes a machinedrum, analogkeys and minilogue. With my old emx as the master I had no problem with it changing corresponding patterns on all the other machines, but now with the DT as the master I’m having problems. When I change the pattern on the DT, the machinedrum waits an extra 4 bars/64 steps before it changes. With this, the machinedrum is also not changing kits that are set up on each pattern. All the corresponding boxes are checked on each machine, and this all worked flawlessly with my almost 20 year old emx. Leads me to believe the DT isn’t sending the right messages? Literally all I use midi sync for is the master clock and program change messages, so this is obviously a huge problem and frustration. Any ideas or something I’m missing here? Thanks y’all!

Help! I’m contemplating just making the machinedrum the master at this point, I can’t seem to find what should be a simple answer for this. I don’t want to program midi cc messages or whatever, I just want the program change commands to work in sync. Is that too much to ask?!

How is everything routed midi wise?

1 Like

Right now I only have the DT and MD hooked up before I get the rest of my gear setup. I have the DT as master going midi out to MD. Settings on DT are setup to send midi clock, and program change messages. On the MD it’s setup to receive clock and program change. I assumed that’s all that’s needed to simply change patterns in time, but the MD lags. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Two things I can think of off hand

Is the dt up to date firmware wise?
Are the md and the dt on the same auto channel?

My understanding of that stuff is limited still, but the DT auto channel is set to channel 1 and the MD control base channel is set to 1-4. The program change out channel on the DT is set to auto

And I do have the latest update since this bad boy is only a month old

That doesn’t necessarily mean you have the latest firmware. 1.10 is the latest for the dt. I ask because at one point the dt had a bug that caused late program changes.

Also, try changing auto channel to not be any channel from 1-8.

I updated when I purchased it just to be safe, but I’ll check again to be sure. And if the auto channel isn’t set to 1-8, what should it be set as? If I turn it off the MD doesn’t change patterns at all, and the only other options are channels 1-16…

I should also mention that when the MD does eventually change patterns, the corresponding kit I’ve saved for said pattern doesn’t change, it just stays the same as the last pattern.

I set my auto channel to either 9 or 10 on the dt. I forget which but I use the channel that isn’t default to the fx channel.

try this, in the program change menu on the machine drum set program change in to on and set the program change channel to whatever you have set the dt autochannel to

To my knowledge there isn’t a program change channel on the MD, the only thing in the program change menu is program change in,out, or off…

I’m using global slot 1 on the MD, with the base channel being 1-4. Those are the only channel options I see anywhere

Pages 60-61 of the manual.

That’s what comes up for me… I’m using the MD SPS-1uw mk2

And the os is 1.53b

You may need the latest firmware for the md. From the elektron site

1 Like

Interesting. Now how does one go about that without a USB port? Midi cable to my audio interface?

Also, thanks for the continued help dude, real life saver. I appreciate it