DT / DN pattern sync and pattern scale

Hi!

First post here! Thought I would share a problem and a workaround I couldn’t find anywhere else. Maybe there is a better way to solve this?

Setup:
Digitakt (master)
Digitone (slave)
Sub 37 (midi received from DN)

Scenario:
Pattern change while DN pattern scale is 1/2x

Problem:
When changing pattern on DT, DN loops through the pattern 1 extra time before changing. Also having trouble changing to odd time signature resulting in patterns being off beat.

Workaround:
Make sure that the device clocking 1/2x the tempo is the master.

Anyone else had similar issues? Is this expected behaviour?

Cheers!

Hi man! I have the DT and DN combo aswell. It is behavior what I should expect because when the pattern of the DT is finished it goes to the next pattern on the DT if you have chosen to switch. If you synced the DN to switch aswell it will switch after the pattern is finished. So while the DT is at a faster scale the pattern would finish earlier.

I think there are several ways to deal with this situation. I assume the Pattern Length on the DT and DN is the same length.

1. In the Pattern Length on the DT you can set the CH Len twice as much the Pattern Length. The. The DT goes twice through the pattern before it changes. If your Pattern Length on the DN is not the same as on the DT then make the CH Len halve of what the DT is set.

2. Time it right. The DT does two cycles in one cycle of the DN if the Pattern length is the same. If you change pattern on the DT in the first cycle it switches before the DN switches. So time it so the DT is in its second cycle.

3. Don’t do receive and send program change messages and time them yourself so they sync at the same time.

Hope one of them suits you!

Hi there. I’ve been trying these methods to sync my DT with my DN but I can’t get either method to work. My pattern length is 128 and my DT is the master. The DT has one track at half speed and the DN is playing all tracks at half speed. For some reason I can’t get this to work by doubling the length of the ch. Length on the DT when the pattern length is set to inf. This also causes my DN to skip 1 16th note on, even if program change is disabled. I’m so confused :confused:

@Humanswan, can you post a picture of the division page of your track in the DN and
DT?

Also which one is the master and which one is the slave?

Thnx

Here is the digitakt

And the digitone

The digitakt does have one channel that is at half speed playing a long sample. The digitakt is the master

Unfortunately you can’t use inf settings if you want them to change together.
Chng setting only works properly when changing manually it changes late when receiving program change… you will have to set the same master length

3 Likes

Seconding @DanJamesAUS. INF settings will mean the pattern never ends and so it won’t switch. Try to work out exactly how long you need it to run ahead of time :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I haven’t tried half the Chng time on the master device to try to make it change in time,
it might work ? but found just setting the master length better for me in the end anyways

1 Like

Thanks for the response. I’m still having the issue of my patterns on the DT being a 16th note late even when both the pattern lengths are set to 128? Any ideas?

For some reason it does this 16th note skip even when program change isn’t enabled.