DSI Tempest

and i’m convinced pads are the best way to play basslines now
i used to use the korg padkontrol to do something similar but ended up selling it because there was too much latency controlling softsynths back when i had it

New beta OS out today with Freely assignable LFO added. Pym says there’s a new feature coming that wasn’t requested that should be lots of fun.

I’d love to see a random patch generator and even a random beat pattern gen…

Too little too late for me. Sold my tempest and got a Rytm.

I’m so glad I did.

The only thing I miss about it is the fact that it was a nice 6 voice poly synth.

But poly wasn’t programmable with the sequencer anyways

New tempest beta OS??? Where???

dsi forum
:alien:

agree 100%

Thanks

The whole “weak / not (ph)fat” thing is, in my opinion as Tempest owner, due to people not understanding how the filter and or the voicing works.

Put the kick post filter and it will kick like a mule. Also make sure it’s voice not being stolen.

There is a small issue with Osc 1&2 not being as loud as 2&3 but that can be worked around.

1 Like

Are we really responding to posts from almost 6 years ago, and still debating whether or not the Tempest can make a decent kick?

It’s over, man … So over. :wink:

Cheers!

3 Likes

:joy: didn’t even realise it was from 6 years ago.

1 Like

i really like the the tempest but it also demands much from the user :grin:

Hey folks,

For those of you who might be interested… People have been asking me for years, how I do polyrhythms on my Tempest, since the sequencer doesn’t technically support a scale-per-track configuration. The answer is, I designed these templates, years ago, but have never shared them with anyone.

Anyway, someone asked about Euclidean rhythms again recently, on the Tempest forum, so I decided to share my templates. You can read all about how they work here, and download the templates if you’d like to try them out.

https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,4201.0.html

Cheers!

6 Likes

Good riddance! :wink:

Hi am in the fence to buy a Tempest that comes with a issue. The voice 6 doesnt work as it should, sounds muffled and “gags” specially noticable when i program a kick using the filter and the envelope.

Calibration doesnt work so i guess this is hardware related so my question is if anybody know how much would it cost to repair this? Im guessing it would require a new board, and it seems that the synth voices are atached to the mainboard so i am guessing that this would be a expensive fix?

Don´t know anything about synth repairing so any help would be much apreciated.

PS: already sent a email to dsi but since it is holidays i am haven´t got an answer yet.

My advice would be “do not buy it”

Definitely do not buy one that has known issues

It’s not really a drum machine but a poly synth that is disguised as a drum machine so it really only does both these things half well

It’s feature set is not very modern by todays standards so it certainly isn’t worth the price either

Get a Rytm Mk1 or Mk2

Even a Digitakt or Digitone are far superior and allow you to make a far more diverse and interesting range of music

It had so many problems that users had to make a petition to get DSI to make essential bug fixes

They have dropped support for it as far as I know

DSI make some great synths but the Tempest was not one of them

2 Likes

Don’t buy it. You don’t want that kind of trouble with a Tempest, believe me.

4 Likes

Yeah, in my setup is also redundant. I have AR MKI which i absolutely love, would love it more if it could sample so it has crossed my mind to upgrande to the mkII. I like the dave smith sound and what atracts me in this machine is the fact that i get a diferent polysynth, plus a diferent performance drum machine. But yeah, AR is not that bad as a performance drum machine innit? -and i also have a AK… :grimacing: :wink:

I actually have the tempest with me already. The guy that is selling it told me that i could try it at home before making a decision. I can work around the limitation of having one voice acting weird, but it does makes me nervous thinking that it can get worse, specially in a quirky, unstable machine. So my plan would be to get this one at a discounted price (around 400/500 euros cheaper than the price of a used inagoodstate machine), use it as is, sample it some sequences out of it and then fix it, knowing that i could do it and that it wasn´t that expensive.

But your reply´s are much helpfull and i am very likely not going to make the deal. I guess you guys make me realize that this might be a byproduct of being bored in the holiday season and wanting to buy something, and then letting all the fatty food that was ingested to stop me from thinking clearly.

Still, and since this is a machine with so many issues, i think it is valuable to know how much it costs to fix a machine with this problem so if any of you guys know it would be awesome. I will also post back here once i get a reply from the support at sequential.

:fist_right:

1 Like

I had the Tempest many years ago

At first I liked it but after coming from using Elektron gear I got bored of it quite quickly and there didn’t seem to be any attention being given to it from DSI

Just before I sold it I plugged in a midi keyboard and jammed out some stuff using it as a 6 voice poly synth rather than a drum machine

It did sound good

Most sounds here are from the Tempest

https://soundcloud.com/cockur/tempest-lanthanide

I’m not sure what’s up with soundcloud links here any more

They used to play from the thread now they just link to the site :man_shrugging:

Really nice budy! Did you use only the analog osc or the wavetables?

If you think it as polysynth with 6 voices, 2 dco + 2 sample based (im guessing there is also singlecycle wavetables), 2 lfos, 2 filters and 5 envelope generators and a generous modulation matrix it does sound good. Adding the sequencer and live modulation possibilities, its hard to beat. But that is the theory. I guess that in practice most of the users are annoyed with the workflow and bugs. But there is also happy users out there.

I just sold a jomox 888 so im kind of burned out of quirky drum machines. Lets see what the guys in sequential say regarding the possible fix for this problem.