DSI Tempest

Would you like me to put the beta somewhere in a public dropbox or something? I could do that…

I don’t own one yet but I’m sure the other users not able to get into the forum would love that?!

Have you tried it out yet?

Cheers L

It’s now starting to feel like the machine I thought I was buying originally.

:slight_smile:

Yes played around with it yesterday. It’s really good! The arp fills in notes in the sequencer when you hold the roll button. This is really flexible, you can mute/edit steps afterwards, which is really cool to build melodies for people who can’t play that fast like me :slight_smile:
And because you can set the pads to a certain scale (like a-minor), the arp also is in that scale when you press multiple pads. Really useful.
The copy sequence feature is also implemented very well. When holding the copy button, you can select (by using softknobs) what to copy and what not (the sound, the sequence, the FX etc). It’s not something you are forced to choose everytime, just a setting you can make while holding copy so it’s really unobtrusive, which is good!

^ sound fellas…

Managed to get onto the forum now. Was saying I needed to wait for some confirmation but I pressed send again and got the mail. Playrecords there too. Possibly will have a unit this week.

Finally got registered at the dsi forum. Thanks to tsv for his help there. Much appreciated. Lot’s of cool info and tips on there for sure. Will defo give the new beta OS a try. I’m a bit confused though. Seems there are several different OSes running different parts of the machine. If I load the main OS will it update the others or do they have to be done individually ??

For instance in the system info I can see

Main OS: 1.3.0
Voice OS: 1.2
Panel OS: 1.3
Sam OS: 1.1

Also really bugging me this one and I can’t find a clear cut answer, but can I do an empty reset (like on A4 with function + power on = list of reset options) ?

I’m done with the demo presets. I deleted all the demo projects but there’s still stuff named and set up as if they were there. Is it possible to just wipe absolutely everything and start afresh ?? I realize the samples will stay in there but everything else I would like to get rid of. Any tips on that would be swell.

You have to do each OS separately. But the main OS is the one that changes more often.

From the forum:

Received this from DSI a while back:
“There is a way to format the Tempest’s Flash drives and reload the factory sound banks. To do so, press and hold both “Shift” buttons and press the “System” button. The “Debug” menu will be shown on screen. Navigate to the menu item labelled “Format Flash Drive”. Select it and format the drive. After doing so, you will need to re-load the factory sound files to the Tempest.”

Cheers

1 Like

Nice one. Thanks again tsv. What i’m trying to do really is just have a blank template project i can use as a starting point each time i want something new.
Think i have it sorted the way i like now.
Really growing on me this machine. Got lost for a few hours today in 16 tunings mode and using the different scale settings. Brilliant ! Used to have an old Korg workstation keyboard that did scales too. Getting some real interesting chord/note combos I might not otherwise have come up with. Can’t wait to try out that Arp :+1:

Cool. Yeah I recall making one of those. I think you have to do it all manually but I could be wrong.

Glad to see the new update. I’m jealous now of course because I don’t have one!

:slight_smile:

It really does sound bloody lovely. Despite what seemed like obvious short falls when I first took it out of the box, the synth engine more than makes up for it. I don’t own any other poly synth (analogue or other) and had my hopes up that it would do my beats and poly lines when I needed it to. I think we’ll get on just fine Tempest and I

And also thought I should say this:

That while the distortion circuit is a bit crappy (and I did admittedly give it a bit of a hard time earlier on in the thread) I am starting to find a few sweet spots for it. Not on any of the beats but on big synth lines and pads. It can definitely lead to nice tonal variations over more slow attack and sustained sounds. Not so much the punchy beats stuff. So I guess it does seem to have it’s place after all.

I’m feeling much happier with the Tempest now than I was last week. And I still have much to explore. Happy days again :joy:

Good to hear your enjoying yourself. As mentioned above a blank project can be created manually. Or I believe on the DSI forums, people have upload blank kits, and project templates.

Have fun making music.

Hmm… I’ve done something now and not quite sure how to fix it.

Sequencer is playing only 8 steps. How do I get back to 16 steps??

Surely I can have odd/even time sigs this way no?

Anyone any idea how to change the number of steps in a sequence ?

Ok found it in the Edit Mode.
Sequencer has to be stopped to change Time sigs/Edit step number it seems

sb six your future garage video makes me want this so bad… ive been hovering over the buy button for like two days now but it’s just so much cash to drop at once!! i’ll have to wait and see what the second new elektron machine is first!!!

1 Like

:astonished: SB Six… Only just made the connection between the vids on youtube and your name here. Those are deadly vids. Watched them all when I was in pre-purchase mode. Bloody good stuff. Certainly helped me decide on getting the Tempest. Nice one!

i am surprised these come up for sale as much as they do, they are great.

they arent the most fun out of the box, but take time,

i like mine a ton, does everything i want i to do, sounds amazing too,

Heres a video that makes me want one of these soo hard…

anyone know where i can get that 1.3.12 OS? i really want to turn quantize off!!

I think Dave Smith intentionally puts horrendous presets on his synths so only people that want to program and come up with new things end up using and liking his synths .

The Gearslutz posts about the Prophet 12 are a fine example of this…

to be honest i am blown away at how good this thing sounds. i’ve hardly even used it as a drum machine. mainly using it as a polysynth and damn… really eager to check out the tabletop prophet 12 and the polyevolver if i get the chance.

i’m currently running it through the a4’s effects and it just blows my mind. gonna try running it through the OT a little later.

16 tunings mode is just fun to play. i wish the a4 had something similar.