DSI Evolver - Sysex Dump and Programs

Hello all,
trying to figure out the logic behind its way to share Programs with a computer (I am on Mac BTW).
I dumped Program A128 and tried to send it back to the Evolver in another slot, lets say B128.

But what I found is that even if I am on slot B128 and send the Program, then it goes fine to B128 but when I try to save it on the Evolver using its internal function (Hold to Save) and I switch Programs then back to B128 the imported Program is not there anymore.
But it gets “automatically” saved on A128 though.
So I am thinking that Programs dumped from the machine carry the original Bank/Slot position.
And the only way to save the dumped Program elsewhere is to Hold to Save and while led blinks choosing a new position.

Any confirmations to this?

Thanks a lot in advance

you can see on page 48 of the manual that the program dumps include a reference to the bank/slot whereas the edit buffer does not include this, but is otherwise the same (assuming no tweaks since saving) - when I was doing stuff with the evolver (most synths tbh) I’d look to retrieve the edit buffer - it’d be easy to construct the brief midi message and save a midi file to playback whenever you need the evolver to reply with the current buffer

then whichever slot you change to, the buffer recorded/resent will just update that new patch - much easier in an editor

1 Like

Oh yes… Totally overlooked that!
Thanks!

When I bought the unit I have inherited the VST editor. Usable and easier way to edit the Program, even if it doesn’t have a “return to default” command for knobs/values.
So I’ll be using that for swapping and saving Programs.
But I always go through the “traditional route” when I buy a machine so I tried to understand how to perform this important step.

Next thread is about how it sounds :slight_smile:
Thanks mate

1 Like

Indeed it’s subtle (the manual reference was just to point you to edit buffer command), some synths will bake in the location, some will send a patch that can go anywhere… I like to work with edit buffers which most synths will send so I was most familiar with patches being as you wanted, patches with the location baked in can get you in all sorts of bother if you’re not careful

amazing mono-synth, super deep and flexible and it has a great midi spec