-{ don't panic }-

So switched on the MD tonight to be greeted by space invaders!

Power on w/Function brought up the test menu & everything tested ok only I couldn’t exit.
Screen would hang then eventually display the weird symbols again.

Opened her up to have a look at the state of the components.

No sign of any resin or browsing of components so I just pulled all the ribbons including the one that joins the 2 base boards then reseated them.

Yey Bobs ya Uncle job done

Guess there was a bit of corrosion or a slightly unseated ribbon connector.
Might as well give the top plate a clean.

Get a local expert to evaluate the work

Stick her back together

Hope that’s helps anyone who comes across this in future.
Obviously if you’re still in warranty you might not want to do this. My unit is 2007 so figure I’ve nothing to lose.
Also if you do attempt this, when you refit the top plate, lay it on left side down first & gently roll into position so each LED falls into place, don’t worry about the buttons, they’ll sort themselves out.
Cheers

“This machine is OK” :slight_smile:

Monomachine makes me some of these oddities (sometimes) when i plug my a4 audio /midi in/out but it seems my A4 has a sort of? Grounding issue : every touchscreen around are fucked up when the unit is on… Oxydation on a4 maybe?

I have the same space invaders on the screen. Before I open it up, I heard that also the battery inside the machine could be the problem, so does anyone what kind of battery this is? Can you buy one in a normal store?

I would highly doubt it is the battery. The battery is usually used for memory.

This display problem usually happens when there isn’t enough power. This guy might have gotten lucky with the contacts between the boards. They might have gotten loose over the years. The screen is on the control board which gets power below in the guts that makes sound. I would check your power supply if you can.

Oxidation would take several years and A4 isn’t that old. The MD is a bit old but seems not old enough for this to happen.

highest quality expert check. cats have long experience with machinedrums.

1 Like

I now opened the machine. There were some tiny tin pieces inside but I do not think that this is a great issue. On the circuit board though there is some kind of whitish/greyish dirt. I have no idea what it is, looks a bit like chalk and it was relativly easy to remove. Now I am waiting till Monday so I can buy a battery and then lets see if it helps. It is a Panasonic CR 2450 3V.

Hey Satyr32 [/anyone else who might be able to help me],

How did you get the rotary knobs off of the MD? Just pull them hard, or…?

I need to open my MD as well because my FUNCTION-button got stuck (and out of warranty).
But I’m just a bit nervous of breaking something.

All best,
Morten

Jumbled characters on screen or boot issues are most commonly related to oxidization issues with the internal cabling and connectors. Cleaning the contacts and replacing the cables usually fixes it.

However, it’s a good idea to change the battery when you’re in there anyway.

If the battery is low, there will be an indication in the OS.

Pull them straight upwards (NOT at an angle) hard.
You can also use something thin in between to pry them upwards, but do not apply too much force.

Pull them straight upwards (NOT at an angle) hard.
You can also use something thin in between to pry them upwards, but do not apply too much force.[/quote]
Thanks a lot

To give a update: I changed the battery. Now my machine seems to be acting normal as it should, at least for now. So, yes it is true: do not panic.

What kind of battery is it?

Panasonic CR 2450 3V

Can also be another brand of CR 2450 3V.
I do not know if it is important but I looked that the new battery had also the same mAh which is 620, some are different and have e.g. only 570 or 590. I got the Duracell, which also was 620 mAh.

1 Like

I had the same space invaders problem with my MD. Opened it up, reseated all the cables, and changed the battery. It hasn’t had a problem since.

2 Likes