Digitone as a sounddesigner-tool?

Since i always love the potential of my synths to get some ridiculous strange or mad (call it whatever) sounds out of it and sample them for further mangling in my OT or AR, i was wondering if the Digitone is capable of providing lush pads, fx-sounds, atmospheres.

According to the manual there are different algorithms where i can choose from… in sum there is per voice:

• the algos
  • envelopes
  • 2 lfos
  • a basic filter
  • a multimode-filter
  • drive
  • 3 FX
  • the mighty sequencer with p-locks and trigs

but Elektron didn’t implement slides for the locks right now (or maybe never) - so one can have just a sharp change of parameters

is anyone using this machine for just this purpose? With all this options this machine must be a hell of a synth… and this is just an impression from the sound-snippets I’ve heard on various media-sites

1 Like

I don’t know that I use my Digitone just for the things you describe but it does do them rather well.

You can add to your list of what it has that can contribute to your soundscape - Overdrive, chorus, reverb, delay and some tasty tricks in the synth engine itself such as harmonics and detune!

Tasty

I think the trick here is to use all four tracks as part of a whole sound. There is way to make two or more sounds play with the same trig.

There is a way to make slides, explained in this video, from around 4:00. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53-qJJz8dtA

He’s using it for note slides, like on a 303, but it works with other parameters too. I’m trying it out now with slides between different harmonics and detune values.

Just heard from a dev (and on an open forum so I assume it’s not a company secret) – glide will indeed be implemented in a later update.

10 Likes

Great news!!! Please be true!!!

The sound demos on Elektrons site and soundcloud page shows very well what it can do. Of course so much other stuff is possible too. It’s FM so it can emulate real instruments and go right into weird noisy soundscapes and everything in between especially when further manipulated by the Octatrack.