Digitakt vs. Octatrack

Ha, I didn’t even see your first comment until now I was just saying my thoughts, but it does seem like I replied to you… :slight_smile: I totally agree with what your saying… and yes, the forums gone haywire, and the wire is now short circuiting! :sweat_smile:

Doubt anyone with or without an OT will say the DT sucks. It’s pretty rad

1 Like

I’m gonna return my DT. I already have an OT and appart from trig condition and overdrive, DT adds nothing to the OT for me.

if the the OT were easier to use…it would be a simple decision.

1 Like

With the DT MIDI tracks, can I hook up an external controller and play through to an external sound module while recording sequence data?

2 Likes

Sweet thanks!

1 Like

The learning curve is steep but there are lots of videos on youtube.

+1

really like the cond trigs but can’t see a reason to keep this one (ok maybe the size when travelling) when there is an OT.

I never understood the difficulty with the OT.
It’s really easy to use, the basic stuff is extremely simple.
It just does a lot of things.

15 Likes

well, one (last) thing to add that I find also great is to have access to the sample slots with LFO. is there a method to do so with the OT? haven’t found one yet. thanks

exactly my opinion. can’t repeat it often enough

Spot on. Reading the FM and practicing regularly helps a great deal, though.

1 Like

Someone said they didn’t want to take a year to learn it.
It’s no piano that’s fer sure.

I would add that after a year though, you can be at one with the craziest sampler midi sequencing box out there.

2 Likes

Keep in mind also that the OT is much more flexible with the SD Card and USB for file transfert.

Sorry but the OT works w/ Compact Flash, not SD card. And you have to be really, really careful when you plug a CF card into it - the pins are quite delicate.

Love my OT, but might consider the DT as I monitor how it progresses w/ OS updates and user reports/posts. Let me clarify - I’d consider the DT as addition to my OT, not a replacement.

A tough one! Here are my thoughs as an Ex-Octatrack owner:

OCTATRACK
:slight_smile: Unlimited track length (for backing tracks)
:slight_smile: Scenes (come on, SCENES!!!)
:slight_smile: Multiple inputs (replaced a mixer in my hardware-only liveset)

:disappointed: No Trig-Conditions (update very unlikely due to technical and / or marketing decisions
:disappointed: Compact Flash not supported anymore (two cards died)

DIGITAKT
:slight_smile: OLED Display
:slight_smile: Trig-Conditions
:slight_smile: Easy way of recording and handling samples (from what I saw on dataline´s yt demo)
:slight_smile: small size (yes, I don´t have space anymore and carry my stuff to gigs on my bike most of the time)
:slight_smile: will be supported with updates in the next years

:disappointed: limited sample memory
:disappointed: extra charge for full overbridge (this is like DLC in videogames that are already on the disc but have to be paid extra to be unlocked)
:disappointed: mono samples
:disappointed: only one out / in (not sure about overbridge here)

I don´t mind the 128 Sample slots, I used 84/128 slots in my Analog Rytm and already produced and released one album, one ep and almost three hours of live sessions on youtube with it. I don´t feel a limit here.

2 Likes

I’m in the minority here. Had the OT for 3 weeks. Loved it. Easy to learn, but due to needing that extra cash, and honestly not being much of a “live show kinda guy” I am selling my OT and bought a Digitakt to use in conjunction with my op-1. And that’s something I use heavily (Op1)

I had an OT for a year and I hated it. Everything is a pain with it. Organizing samples sucked, I never got a good workflow. When I finally did wrap my head somewhat around the OS I was consistently disappointed with everything I tried to do. I tried to use it as a mixer for my other live gear, it was a tone and volume sucker, lost all my overhead, it’s a terrible mixer. I tried to use it as an effects processor, the effects are abysmally bad, like 90’s digitech stompbox bad. Just garbage thin digital effects all around. Maybe I just had too high hopes for it,

The DT on the other hand I instantly could get music out of it, the effects are nothing special, but they’re acceptable, certainly not as bad as the OT. Little things make a big difference, the button size and placement for one. It’s much easier to program on big square buttons arranged in 8 over 8 than it is in a 16 straight across. It’s just instantly more intuitive, much easier to make patterns with the sequencer laid out this way. The screen is a million times better, menu navigation feels simpler. The OT was needlessly complicated for my needs.

I honestly hated the OT I feel it was a half baked concept, or perhaps an overbaked concept, burnt to a crisp. I already like the DT better and I’ve only had it for three days. Of course there’s some minor bugs to work out, and I’m really hoping they follow through with software on this one. THe OT still has some pretty significant bugs and it’s years old. OT updates are vaporware at this point.

:confused:
To each their own I guess. I’ve found that the OT has been an instant source of inspiration for me; every time I sit down in front of it I manage to go off on tangents and make something interesting. The effects take a bit of work to get to sound good, and the reverb is certainly no BigSky (or Quadraverb), but I’ve found that doesn’t really matter for what I’m doing, as it quickly becomes a “whole greater than the sum of its parts” thing… I dunno, maybe I just clicked with it in a different way than most.

3 Likes