Digitakt + Nord Drum 3P

Thank you, will experiment with this.

1 Like

When I had these paired up (a while ago), I remember the unit getting confused whenever i switched from controlling it locally and externally. As long as I only used one it was fine. Not sure if that helps at allā€¦

Unless you want to send note and cc data from the NDā€™s pads and knobs, turn local off when sequencing / controlling with midi out from another box. As mentioned above, ND3 receives on 7 midi channels simultaneously (on the 6 parts and its global channel), but only sends on its global channel. Lets say you want to have all six parts playing melodies with different modulations etc and you want to input notes and other midi from the ND3. With ND local on and cc receive off, change the ND global channel to the corresponding Midi channel in your sequencer assigned to the given part. Record notes and data and when done, change the ND global channel to the midi channel assigned for the next part. Likewise for the other parts. Then switch local off and CC receive on the ND, make sure each part is set to Ch in the Midi menu, then sequence/modulate from the master device.

3 Likes

Can anyone successfully get the Digitakt to send CC44 Delay Rate and CC45 Delay Feedback to the ND3? I seem to be able to send CC messages for a lot of different parameters, but not these. What gives? any help out there?

Since itā€™s a global effect, it has to be controlled by the global midi channnel (10). You might have to use an extra midi track for this.

2 Likes

Righteous. Thank you!!

Hi. Got a 3P a few days ago and recording live midi into the DT was the first thing which came to my mind cause this would be a very great combo. Iā€™ m still working on this :smile: but more on latency issues. A workaround for the Global MIDI Channel Problem is to filter incoming midi events(notes) in your DAW. Iā€™m using Ableton so Iā€™m sending the 3P MIDI to 6 MIDI Tracks in Ableton (MIDI in -> CH 10) and MIDI out to DT on CH 1 2 3 4 5 6 but with a scale midi effect on each channel to let only the specific note for each channal pass through. It works but I have some latency issues ( Iā€™m working with an E-RM Multiclock, which make things even more complex). Today I buyed a midi soloutions event processor to do the note filtering outside of the computer. I will try next week so I can tell you if it works.

Cheers :whale:

OK, I almost got a brain damage but it finally works! Had to deactivate Overbridge because of the latency prob.

5 Likes

Nice! Youā€™re playing is tight enough to play it as a midi live looper. :+1:

1 Like

Maybe with some practice I can turn of quantization while recording

Iā€™d turn of quantize, then incrementally quantize as needed (Iā€™m presuming the DT has the same quantizing options as the OT)

1 Like

It would be great if someone could provide a template file with proper Digitakt midi settings to play with the Nord Drum 3 in this way. (Iā€™ve found it to be quite tedious and fussy). Also, Iā€™m sure many of you have seen this demo by RMR: https://youtu.be/tQSN9ZTB0nc

Yeah. Elektron implementing renaming of Midi CCā€™s would really help here. We could have a project on an Elektron box with the parameters each cc was adjusting on the Nord drum labelled on the cc page, and saved with the project

3 Likes

But also just go through the manual and set up the ones you want to tweak. It doesnā€™t take too long. Itā€™s more finding the ones worth tweaking.

6 pads / 6 channels, + 8 parameters = 48 settings to program in. It is tedious, even if I want the exact same parameters on every channel Or, is there a way to copy & paste cc settings btwn channels?

Yes, in the same way you would copy a sound between audio tracks, then just adjust the channel afterwards.

Of course. You copy each midi channel settings on DT with TRK+Copy

Iā€™m not sure there are so many settings worth tweaking on the ND3p tbh.

Which would be the priority ones, folks?

The Digitakt + Nord Drum 3P combo is flat out amazing. 8 sample tracks, 6 midi tracks controlling the ND3P and two more midi tracks left to control something else or add more CC controls towards the ND3P + having the power of P-Locking to enjoy with the Nord.

As for parameters, according to the manual, there are 36 midi cc controllable parameters on the ND3P:

The DT does 8 midi CCs per midi trackā€¦so it wonā€™t be knob per function :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve experimented with two approaches:

1. Map the most important parameters per sound/track to the Digitaktā€™s midi CCs ā€” what the most important parameters are, sort of depends on which sound of a kit weā€™re talking aboutā€¦eg I like to have control over decay, pitch and maybe noise level on the kick/bass drumā€¦on the hihat itā€™ll be noise, filter cutoff and resonance etc etc. on pads 5/6 I like to give myself control over the main tone parameters, because Iā€™ll use those pads as melodic/hang drum/gamelan voices.

2. When I have the Nord Drum 3P physically next to my DT in my setup (currently not the case), Iā€™ll map the DT to the most important secondary functions of the ND3P so that I can access those without the shift/lower level button combo.

Iā€™ve had some time away from the Nord Drum 3P and sort of forgot what an amazing and beautiful sounding drum synth that thing is. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Yeah I love the combo, and I love the idea that when I receive DT II, there will be 16 CC mappable, that I can rename, and save as a preset (seems there are some bugs to iron out unfortunately).

That will increase the level of spontaneity and bliss! I get a bit lazy configuring CCs each time. But I love sequencing the ND 3P with p-locks, LFO etsā€¦ makes it even more alive.

16 velocity levels will also help, as the 3P reacts so well to velocity - to me itā€™s one of its strengths. 2nd LFO as well.

Yeah :slight_smile:

3 Likes