Digitakt + Nord Drum 3P

Sounds like a nice Combo for that mighty ND3P !

One question, though :
Is it possible to real time record multiple midi tracks using live record with Digitakt?
I mean, when I set the 3P to send each pad midi data on different channels, will I be able to real time multitrack-record midi during a performance? (Kick on track1, snare on track 2, HH on track 3 ect…)

Not possible with Octatrack, seems like it is only able to record midi on one track at a time… don’t know for Digitakt. would be so nice!

Up!

No!

1 Like

:sob:

You killed my GAS in the egg :wink:

1 Like

You could just record to a single midi track then just copy and split after capture. Obviously you are limited to 4 notes per step but anyway…
It’s a workaround if you are determined on that set-up.

just the opposite: you’ll need a multitrack recorder! :grin:

Hi. Thanks, but how would you split easily?

Phew thank you the feeling is back again :smiling_imp:
For a moment I felt like a void :wink:

Squarp Pyraming, i am going to get you ! :wink:

If you record your beat/performance as midi on a single track you would copy it and separate each individual note so it would be on it’s own midi track/channel.

It would be very time consuming and a total pain but in the clutch it is an option!

You could also perform one pass of each drum sound, switch channel then record the next but it would hardly be the drumming experience you are after.

Only give these suggestions as a last resort, it’s a shame the DT doesn’t have multi channel recording…

To be honest you would be better off just programming the beat from the steps and forget the pads!

Great recorder! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Yeah I think Elektron boxes where not made to work that way…:disappointed:

lazurus here…

I’ve got a 3p - currently use a Circuit to do midi looping live, but i’m a limited by… full quantize only; only 4 midi notes on drums (3p is 6notes in global, one per pad); no trigs; and limited live editing.

I’m GAS’ing for a solution to create some programmed variation after I’ve played/looped in some bars on the Nord 3p.

I don’t see what the issue is for the above poster? Could one not run the 3p on a single global midi channel? I’m only ever going to need 3 poly per step on the global midi channel, as I’ve only got two hands and a foot pedal.

If i wanted to modulate one of the drums… I could use a separate channel on the DT? ( The advantage of running the midi pads as separate channels on the 3p is that the separate pad parameters can be edited live… you can run both global and seperate at the same time… currently I use a NovationXL to tweak the 3p like a mixer)

The big question is… What choices would I have to edit the sequence, if i had different notes on one global channel looped in the DT? i.e. each note is a different pad. Could I micro-time or trig a individual pad, rather than all the notes on the single step?

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - bit of a noob here…

I am very interested in the ND 3p. But do you guys also hear a lot of noise from the outputs?
Here is a discusion about that. Or should I wait for the Nord Drum 4p?

It’s noisy but only if you use a long reverb, with a hiss on it’s tail… so either gate it on a mixer(I use a k-mix) or use a send on a mixer for external reverb instead (3p has only one stereo out)… There are different reverb types to chose from so you have a choice between noisy nice vs crap clean. I like the reverb, it’s lush, but it’s no way as complex as an TC M3000, eventide, empress, blue sky.

IMO: For drum sounds, really long reverb is not useful, for percussion like sounds i.e. pans, xylophone etc… they add a lot of character, and this becomes a weakness.

If your playing in a traditional band live and using the 3p as alternative/extra drums, you don’t hear the hiss above the other live instruments.

If you don’t need reverb, it’s not a problem - or you could just get a 2p, as the delay/reverb and external pads are the main difference… (if you can find one 2nd hand)

At the end of the day it makes percussion sounds, particularly the attack/velocity of the synth, like nothing else i know. A distinctive unique character, that I can recognize. (it also has really good pads)

2 Likes

yes. It’s noisy as fcuk. Then again, just kill the reverb and you are good to go. Here is how:
https://www.norduserforum.com/nord-drum-forum-f27/removing-reverb-from-whole-kit-in-nord-drum-3p-t15153.html

2 Likes

I think the Nord Drum line is dead. Nord pulled the 3 after having it’s own page and showing as forthcoming from many retailers.
Sadly I think the honeymoon is over, but I would love to be wrong!

I personally love the NDs and will champion their existence until the end of mine :heart_eyes:

1 Like

so now that you synth sluts have slagged off my baby… can anyone answer my Digitakt question? pls++++

It’s kind of hard to understand your question.

You have all the usual modulation/modification available on MIDI sequencer except re-trigering. You can micro-time the steps, not the notes in Digitakt. Use Individual Channels for tweaking the individual voices of 3P.

“IF” Overbridge comes out a nice way to work would be to trigger the samples in the Digitakt with the Nord Drum 3p and record at least multitrack. Haope that would work. So the Nord Drum 3p gets at least the Addition of playing back samples.