Digitakt - modulate bpm rate via cc?

hello,
anyone knows if its possible to modulate the bpm-rate of the digi via cc? interesting stuff would be possible… thinking of a lfo modulating the bpm-rate. :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

It is not possible.

1 Like

Not directly… And not by cc, it would have to be midi clock…
Maybe indirectly if you had a device that can send it master clock and you’re able to modulate that devices clock output somehow…

1 Like

I think you might be able to midi control the tempo in Ableton?

This is a brilliant idea- will have to try. Thanks!

1 Like

The DT’s tune parameter is like rate no?
And DT doesn’t change the rate of sample playback according to bpm either right?
I’m thinking you could play with modulating the tune parameter for samples, or sample an entire pattern and play it back as one sample while modulating the tune parameter.
Just some options to explore…

2 Likes

True!

You could set samples to loop and modulate pitch and it would play in wobbly glory.

Or if you’re doing a beat- resample it and then modulate it. And then you’d have that pitch mod element which would get REALLY weird.

1 Like

My moog delay has a two cc options for tap tempo:
MIDI Tap Tempo A
Any CC Value = a tap
MIDI Tap Tempo B
(value > 63) = a tap

I haven’t used it much but I think it’s a brilliant feature as it allows you to just throw down some locks on a sequencer and get different relative tempos precisely programmed that go beyond midi clock…

2 Likes

I’m still going to try to assign Tempo in Ableton to a CC value. Midi control the BPM from DT- which could get really weird when I slave the DT to Ableton

Edit: could try to do this if I have a composition already in Ableton and alter the speed of said arrangement.

I love the mad scientists on this forum

1 Like

By all means go for it! :slight_smile:

Edit: I’m a happy scientist, it’s pretty much the same thing though!

1 Like

Is there a thing which generates midi clock and can be modulated by lfo etc…? because if there isn’t, maybe there should be :thinking:

would be absolutely trivial to test out on max or puredata…

3 Likes

thanks for all the input, guys!

@Open_Mike maybe i dont get it but changing tune on all my tracks would change the pitch of my audio. Just like changing the bpm rate on dt manually, i would like to change bpm rate from lets say 120 to 60 and back to 120 bpm by using an lfo… But without any changes in the pitch.

Good idea to do it with an ext midiclock. but then still the bpm rate needs to be adressable for lfo on this 2nd device.

As i understand: Bpm-rate will not be send via cc but is included in the midi protocol, is that right?

No you got it, I was just offering a different yet similar flow where the pitch would indeed change…

And yes, you’d have to be able to modulate the other devices clock source…

I’m not an expert on full midi spec, but I believe midi clock is the only truly bpm specific feature, but some devices could incorporated tap tempo or maybe even tempo to be controlled by external cc or maybe sysex…

Thanks.
Just googled midiclock devices and of course these are pretty expensive and dont offer lfo mod bpm rate👍.

Btw is it possible to mod bpm rate with other elektron devices.

1 Like

Not OT or Rytm…
I’m sure there’s a way to have a modulated midi clock sent to a DT, but I’m not gonna go looking for it, and who knows how well the DT will respond. :slight_smile: A software solution seems more likely, but really it could be any sampler/drum machine/sequencer that does have a cc for tempo and also outputs clock…

3 Likes

that would be really great.
that’s a beauty in modular when clocks or clock dividers can be modulated

1 Like

Rather than finding hardware/software that has an lfo built in that targets tempo, I think it would be more likely to find hardware/software that outputs midi clock and also has a cc for tempo, then you would modulate that cc from the DT or from software…
I think @Ryan might be looking into this using ableton…

1 Like

We had a similar discussion last month:

2 Likes

Just tested out Ableton. You CAN map BPM to CC. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

3 Likes