Digitakt "Kit" Structure. How is it different?

i too am hoping for a copy/paste kit function.

not a complete deal breaker for me, but ugh, a lot of unnecessary actions to perform something that’s a mainstay across all elektron devices.

2 Likes

Maybe not you, but I am constantly making changes to sounds across multiple different patterns that share the same kit on Rytm, and Analog Keys, just as a I did on MD and MM.
Hence my concern about this change in workflow.

Kits are elegant. The DT is simplified.
I think we can have a simplified Kit implementation that is also elegant.

1 Like

I’ll even settle for a copy/paste multiple track sounds function and just do 4 at a time (like how we can copy/paste multiple trigs).

1 Like

I’ll copy something I wrote on that matter on another thread:

I guess you can use the sound manager to copy the sound to your the library and then copy it to the other pattern. Don’t have a Digitakt for now, but it seems pretty straight forward in the manual (page 25):

“EXPORT TO HERE exports the active track Sound and saves it to the selected slot.”

Just select the slot you want it in (i.e. the slot of the sound you want to replace).

Not as straight forward as loading a full kit, but kind of a workaround for now. The only problem being it will take loads of available slots for the same sounds.

1 Like

So I’ve only had a quick demo in a club but i think this might be a good set up. When working across multiple patterns for a more complex sequence, not having to save kits for tweaks to sounds that evolve or morph means you don’t get lumped with many (redundant) iterations of kits - kit-1, kit-2, kit-n etc. as I do on the MnM. I guess the difference is that previously you don’t need to save the sequence; just the kit; the opposite of the DT

Either way, It’s a damn sight better than the OT and Parts. I’m forever struggling to remember if a change to a part that i’ve made is critical or damaging to my project and whether or not I should save all or ignore.

i purchased my AR back in early 2015, and this is totally new to me.

I’ll often copy pages or a single trigger, but never multiple trigs. This is very cool, need to figure out a time to put this to use.

Thanks for the heads up on this one!

In case it’s new to you, too.

copy/paste multiple triggers

2 Likes

you can copy/paste sounds on DT same as on AR: hold TRK, press COPY/PASTE

2 Likes

I never got comfortable how kits worked on the Rytm and Analog Four. In theory it was logical that the patterns and the kits where separated from each other, kind of like a sound source and some midi notes, but in practice it was hard for me to keep from messing up the “wrong” kit. After a while on the A4 and AR I always created a copy or a new kit for each new pattern to avoid problems.

On the Digitakt they have glued the kit together with the pattern and that’s a good thing if you ask me. Less confusion and frustration for me if I ever buy one.

7 Likes

There’s no connection between the sound manager presets and the sounds in any pattern. Loading a sound from the sound manager is basically just a copy/paste operation into a pattern audio track.

3 Likes

I also like the structure, copy paste kits will be more than welcome though

1 Like

I am happy that I can copy-paste the whole pattern. This allows me to do variations, introduce new parts etc.
Deleting a whole track to add a new sound and pattern (clearing both the sound and the sequence data) is a pain though.
would like to be able to hit FUNC + TRK + Play (Clear)

Also the different behavior of FUNC + Play (Clear) depending on which mode you are in is dangerous… Already accidentally deleted the whole pattern a few times.

is it just me?

1 Like

Supposing you now have 2 patterns… one original and copied to the other (pasted), and the other being a pattern variation…
Now what happens when you make changes to sound parameters in pattern 2? (not p-locks)

Those changes are only held in the 2nd pattern (kit).
Those parameter changes are not carried over to other patterns, since each pattern has its own kit.

And that is the workflow issue.

I avoid that mistake on AR/A4(K)/MM/MD by naming my kits based on the patterns that referenced that kit.

Kit1 : “A1-A4”
Kit2: "A5-A8

Kit7: B9-B12

and so on…

3 Likes

oh yes, I get that (although it does not bother me much in the way I plan to use the DT I see why it is an issue).

I was referring to this:

[FUNC] + [PLAY] (while in GRID RECORDING mode) clears active track.
[FUNC] + [PLAY] (while in no mode or LIVE RECORDING mode) clears pattern.

I often clear the whole pattern when I only wanted to clear a track.

I wish there was a 3 key combination instead - e.g. FUNC + TRACK + PLAY

1 Like

Does it not have undo like the AR? Just hit the same key combo again. If not, feature request!

1 Like

you are right - just tried this! it works.

1 Like

an issue for some. it’s an upgrade in my world. love me some kit per pattern goodness.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

This is definitely feeling like an issue to me as I’ll often have multiple patters for one track and want to switch between them on the fly.

Assuming the compromise (which assumes ‘perfect world’ when you’ve got your sound set sorted and can copy/paste patterns to duplicate them), what happens when changing patterns on the fly? Given the same samples in memory etc. is there any interruption to audio playback when switching patterns? If there is, this is probably a deal breaker for me…

No interruption with any Elektrons when switching.

1 Like

hell no.

1 Like