Digitakt 0-Coast and MIDI config and control

TL;DR I need help configuring MIDI connection and control between DT and 0-Coast

I got an 0-Coast on Tuesday and have been trying to figure out how to control it from DT.

I’m a total MIDI noob but I’ve been searching for answers and have been trying things on my own, but have come up dry.

I connected DT to OC via the DT MIDI OUT the first night and immediately began controlling the OC with simple MIDI commands on Track 9, MIDI channel 1. I tried Track 10 as MIDI channel 2, which also seemed to work, no difference in sounds though. Currently, only pitch bend works to change the nature of the OC sounds.

I went though the DT’s manual and checked the MIDI config pages

MakeNoise created an Ableton Max for Live plugin to use for configuring the OC. I can’t figure out how to connect Ableton to OC. I tried using a 3.5mm mono cable from my MacBook to OC; seems to have had no effect.

I can’t find the OC listed in the possible MIDI connections inside Ableton’s Preferences > MIDI settings.

For the MFL plugin, should I try connecting Ableton to DT via USB, then sending DT MIDI OUT to OC?

I seems like the OC may be configured by default to allow a range of 0-0 for many of the cc parameters, and I’m betting that I need to open those up to be 0-127, but haven’t figured that out yet.

And lastly, I haven’t figured out the difference between the MIDI A and MIDI B on the OC. I’m not sure, but it seems like both can be sent over different MIDI channels via the same MIDI input on the OC.

0-coast is awesome little monophonic synthesizer with limited MIDI connectivity. You can send about dozen CC messages and you can send signals to its MIDI-to-CV converter, utilising two gates and two CV channels. This allows to play this synth using MIDI keyboard or external sequencer like Digitakt. Receiving CC is possible mostly only being in Program Pages. Check out the page 14 in the 0-Coast manual http://www.makenoisemusic.com/content/manuals/0-coast_manual.pdf
You can send MIDI data to 0-Coast using one of Digitakt MIDI channels. Check also MIDI section in Digitakt manual. Digitakt firmware can still be somewhat problematic with MIDI but 0-Coast is hardly pushing its limits, so probably no reason to be worried.

To connect 0-Coast to your computer, you need a midi interface some sort. Many audio interfaces are also having MIDI interface build in, so you may have it already in your studio.

2 Likes

Thanks for your response.

I have gone through all program page settings on the OC from page 13-14 in the manual. I’ve also tried assigning each of the midi cc channels (that are listed on page 15 of the OC manual) to the DT’s AMP page for the track. Changing the knob values on the DT FLTR page has no noticeable effect regardless of the cc channels that are assigned on the AMP page.

Still only the pitch bend changes the sound

Ive tried both with and without patch cables on the OC

Midi B channel is sketchy. It works sometimes. I tried learning midi 2 to midi b. Midi 1 to midi a. That was all sketchy. Usually only Chanel 1 would work. I reset the OC to default settings for that program page (3) to listen on all channels and then any track 9-16 could play notes.

I’m not sure what are you aiming to do with MIDI messages on 0-Coast. You can send note data to MIDI A because its normalized to Countour and Bitch section. MIDI B is not normalized, so if you want to use it for example for reacting to the velocity of your keyboard, you have to patch it manually to somewhere like Slope Time as in the examples of manual on Page 38.

2 Likes

:rofl: :joy:

8 Likes

Hmmm that’s interesting. I said I was a midi noob. :).

That sounds like maybe midi b was working but that I didn’t have a patch to utilize the signal. I’ll review page 38 tonight and see what that looks like.

MIDI is a wonderful thing and you can do so many things with it in your studio. Most of the parameters of modern synthesisers like Access Virus or Nord Lead you can manipulate with clever messages from the MIDI controller - to change sounds, patches, parameters of synthesis engine, effects chain etc. Digitakt is capable of sequencing most of these tricks (Elektron can not be considered to be the best on General MIDI integration).

Now, 0-Coast is a different cattle of fish regarding to that. It’s part of the new wave on small production, almost taylor made synthesisers (Moog Mother32, Pittsburg Lifeforms SV-1, Kilpatrick Phenol etc), that are using control voltages in the signal path instead of MIDI. These instruments are able to take some usage of MIDI signals, mostly for receiving note information and some modulation options, like pitch bend or aftertouch (also MIDI Clock, witch is very useful). Digital MIDI signals will be converted to analog Gate and CV signals. These synths do not have embedded MIDI into their DNA and are not designed for full external automation using Program Changes and CC messages, but rather encourage the ‘hands on’ (or ‘ears on’) approach. As you already know, 0-Coast is able to receive some CC messages in certain conditions but mostly you will benefit from using MIDI for note messages, clock and modulation.

For more information, there is good intro to MIDI technology in 6 tutorials by one of the smartest persons in the synth industry: https://youtu.be/5IQvu8zlmJk

I can’t wait to watch that series. Thanks.

I’m sure it’s buried in the DT bug post but just wondering if DT midi to 0-coast is buggy. I’m new to midi and learning more every day but it’s doing some unpredictable stuff, especially when sending out on 2 midi channels to midi a and b.

I can post details but I’m sorta figuring that there are known issues

I haven’t sent to two channels, but sending to the main channel is working very well for me. I also use some CCs for the arp and glide modes.

Ditto here, no issues with 0-coast - but I have default settings on the device, sans the MIDI A channel which I set via Digitakt’s MIDI CC controls as per 0-coast manual (which was super easy).

I can get the O-coast to recognize midi notes and the sequencer fine but can anyone advise me on how to set up the track tempo to sync with the O-coast? I just want to be able to get the arpegiator to play in sync with the Digitakt.

That’s working for me. I set up midi config in DT to send clock out. Have you tried that?

Maybe part of my problem is that I can’t figure out how to send cc. Regardless of the channel or the cc Values I send or change, I don’t hear any change to notes played.

Could you post details about the cc values you are sending and patch notes?

I won’t be able to be on this hardware setup until the weekend, so I cannot answer more from memory.

However, all CC values and MIDI implementation are in the 0-coast manual. You might also have to update the firmware for CC clock sync commands. Manual and firmware are all on the makenoise website.

I have the manual and have been referring to it all along. I’m trying to send the cc that the manual lists but don’t know what to expect from each or if I should hear any obvious changes when adjusting the cc values. If it’s totally patch-dependent, then maybe I’m trying to send cc that I don’t know how to use.

So the simplest trick you can do with CC is adding a glide to your sequence. This is how you can do it:

1. Create simple sequence in Digitakt on MIDI track A. Use different notes like C, F and G.
  2. Connect Digitakt with 0-Coast with MIDI cable and provided adapter to 3,5 mm jack.
  3. Activate MIDI channel 1 on SRC page by pressing FUNC and first knob. Number 1 will apear inside the parameter window CHAN. Now you should hear your sequence.
  4. On AMP page of Digitakt change the first CC command to be number 5. In the small box it should say now PORTA TIM.
  5. Activate the first parameter VAL1 on FLTR page by pushing FUNC and the first knob. Parameter window should change from crossed square to a circle.
  6. Turn the knob clockwise and listen how the sequence is changing with the glide between the notes.
    To remove the glide, turn the know back to zero.

For more info, see the Chapter 12 of the Digitakt manual.

6 Likes

Thanks. I’ll do that.

Thanks for helping with the Midi clock! though i have one more question, iv got that all working now but does anyone know a way to get it to play 16th e.c.t from sending it a normal clock? I’m lost :confused:

@Jbuckley92 did you figure out how to sync the arp at different rates relative to the clock? I’m having the same issue with the octatrack…