Difference between MIDI channel in system and track menus?

So, in the manual it indicates that the MIDI channel set in System > MIDI Config > MIDI 1-4 is the channel the system receives MIDI on for that track and sends the DATA ENTRY knobs to… but how does this compare to the Channel setting on the MIDI track SYN page -> don’t the PC and CCs on the SYN page and the CCs on the FILT page get sent to this channel?

What happens if these two MIDI channel settings are different for a given track? Do both tracks get the CCs or does one override the other (and if so, why have this setting in two places)?

Just a bit confused on the overlap here and which bits control which other bits.

The Midi Config page determines the channel routing for incoming Midi. The Syn page for each Midi Track determines the channel Midi is sent on.

1 Like

That makes sense… so why does the manual say, explicitly on page 62:

MIDI 1–4 CHANNEL selects dedicated MIDI track channel that controls the MIDI tracks. It also sets the MIDI channel for the MIDI messages the DATA ENTRY knobs on the chosen track send. An OFF setting makes the track disregard any incoming MIDI messages.

This part confuses me - if the channel on the MIDI track is what sets the channel the track (and CC values) send, then what does this highlighted part mean?

Ah I believe I see. You can set the encoders to send Midi information to external devices simultaneous to Synth Track parameter changes. It’s separate because the setting is specific to which synth track is selected then manipulated. I only noticed this by accident the other day. The channel setting on the Midi Track still only refers to the routing of the Midi sequencer Tracks and the encoders wont send parameter change information when you’re on a Midi Track page.

Ah, huh ok. I’ll have to figure out under what conditions those send data and which CCs they use. It’s really not clear at all.

Thanks for the clarification!

You can turn this behavior off in the Port Config page by switching the encoders to Internal Only but I haven’t investigated the details of this feature when it’s active.