CV Cables from A4 to Modular

doh! - didn’t spot text - i would still be checking before buying though, those are quite neat

1 Like

It says on the website:

Suitable for splitting stereo signals to dual mono outputs.

1 Like

That’s what you need.

some people may appreciate that linked or even a brand name btw

3 Likes

tidy solution right there, those weren’t around back in the day, having said that, the elektron pack offers a lot more and more flexibility, but those are an ideal size and look not too bad for once

1 Like

I’m really curious about how this would work. Is there anything on the forum explaining this workflow in detail?

You mean cv track acting as midi to cv converter?
You just send midi to the A4 on the midi channel of the cv track (you can choose a midi channel for each of the four synth tracks, fx track and cv track in the global menu).

How to configure and setup cv is detailed in the manual.

2 Likes

Reviving this thread, as I am considering buying a dirt cheap A4 MKI for use with my eurorack. After lots of reading I am still confused about one thing: if I buy breakout cables (6.35 male to dual 3.5 female) then does it matter if the dual 3.5’s are ts or trs?

totally

the dual TS actually need to be thought of as Ts and Rs taken from a TRS - they have to be split

you can use trs plugs if you solder your own, but the eurorack pointing minijacks cannot have the same tip signal, the rings would not be utilised

The official Elektron CV Kit is excellent value for this purpose btw, i ended up picking up a few sets as the flexibility is great for other use cases and the cables feel nice to handle - the breakout part is chunky, but it allows a mult use case as there are two taps per cv lane

effectively TRS to Ts & TS + Rs & Rs where lower case is 3.5 and upper case is 6.35 mm (note R relates to the source cable here, not a ring on the euro jack, it’s always got a tip and sleeve)

I added confusion here ^ …

The 3.5mm (euro) Tip signals shown with their origin designation letter are highlighted in the figure to draw attention to the fact that they must be different

If a cable has twin trs mini jacks, it is most likely a pair of matching(dup) TRS signals from the source, so you effectively only get a mult on the Tip source, and reject the ring source (i.e. one of the A4’s CV lanes)

hope this spells it out clearer

cvab

1 Like

I was in the same situation for finding an appropriate solution for splitting the Midronome’s two analogue clocks and after a lot of research and annoying trial and error the only solid solution that I found was this fella:

Seems like this is their 6,3mm to 2x 3,5mm solution:

Bought it from Amazon since I am located in EU, works like a charm

2 Likes

Thanks! That helps a lot!

@avantronica, thanks for helping out. So if I understand correctly, something like this wouldn’t work because it just sends the same signal to both 3.5 females?

2 Likes

not necessarily - there is nothing categorically implying it won’t, if anything it suggests it should, but not explicitly

there’s a slim chance it could be a random cable which combines T&R to each small t on both sides

that would be a weird cable, so the most sensible conclusion is that it’s a splitter as you desire, that would be my assumption actually, it seems most likely but it is not written … it is merely suggested or likely

i’d be inclined to go for it, but there’s a very very slim chance it’s not - it simply makes no reference to what goes where and nor does the photo indicate which side would be the left/right tip/ring which is a pita

my take is a 1/4" stereo TRS to Dual Mono 3.5mm TS must mean that there is a different signal on both female outlets

Don’t be confused by the labelling being DUAL TS in conjunction with my labelling

my labelling shows the signal flow from the source to the outlets

both mini jacks in my cable are obviously TS connectors (one is sketched as RS to show the source signal being Ring, that’s also why i have a dark ring on that cable), but the Tips of both are sourced from different ‘lanes’ of the 1/4" TRS

If you took my diagram and swapped

T for CVA

and

R for CVB

and

S for CVA/B Ground

it would be less ambiguous

I think you’ll be okay with that cable, but don’t expect me to refund ya if it’s a very random strange use case cable they are selling

:laughing: I won’t, thanks again for helping. The part that is confusing to me, is that I read about people who use ts females and also read about people who use trs females, like @arctor023 in the posts above. So that makes me think that it does not matter which kind of females you use, as people got it to work in both cases.

I think I now understand the principle you were describing: the stereo to dual mono cable seperates the stereo signal and sends Ts to one and Rs to the other.

1 Like

The one they use is a Dual TS, the one the suggest is more suitable for A4 is using the same lingo, but is implying Dual TRS female 3.5mm - so it’s not the same, even though the text suggests that possibility - the problem with shop links is they don’t always get every detail right

The colouring of the different outlets suggests strongly that Tip/Ring are directed Left/Right i.e. Black/Red but that is kinda pointless (the colour differential) if the outlets are stereo TRS(female) as they print

So that one is the least confidence inspiring, the mini trs splitter is right, but needs a headphone adapter on the TRS end for the A4 which isn’t ideal, at least the Elektron one screws on, like on Beyer headphones etc

There is no guarantee the printed detail is right in your listing too, but it’s not the second Hosa link which has been tested by any of us here - if that listing is correct, it’s not likely to work

The type of cable configuration is broadly like a mixer insert cable, except that you want the mono ends to be 3.5mm and possibly female

Elektron’s CV kit still gets my vote !!

1 Like