CV Cables from A4 to Modular

I want to use the CV Outs of my A4 with out using various adapters. Currently use an insert Y cable with 1/4" TRS to Dual 1/4" mono then adapter to go to 1/8" for eurorack modules. If someone makes a 1/4" TRS Y cable to 1/8 mono cables I wouldn’t need adapters but can’t find such a cable anywhere. Anyone have a source?

I make these, it takes 2 insert TRS cables and gives all 4x 3.5mm broken out, it is labelled for easy identification of the outputs and has a 3mm hole so that it can be screwed down to a surface or case if required.

1 Like

Mono jack to mono mini jack cables is ok for the A4MK2 though right? Because it has seperate outs for A,B, C and D?

And also, it wouldn’t matter if it was a stereo jack though would it?

1 Like

@Dapifer yes the mk2 has separate TS jacks for each output. I’d stick to (mono) TS personally for mk2.

2 Likes

Gold plated mono mini jack to jack cables seem to be impossible to come by though.

I think these might do the trick for the ARMK2?

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=282441217616&category=41459&pm=1&ds=0&t=1496384628000&ver=0

That’s handy, because if you mix and match metals you run the risk of galvanic corrosion - search it - if your eurorack is nickel plated (which I guess 99% of it is) then you are probably better with regular jacks - now as to what they’ve put in the back of the A4MK2, I dunno

probably not much to this either way you look at it, but why introduce extra cost for less choice

Ah, I was under the impression that the A4 connections were gold plated though from Darenagers post further up.

Is there an issue with using high quality mini-jack to jack adaptors to send CV from the A4mk2 to modular gear? Why would that put any extra strain than a jack to 3.55mm jack cable?

yes - for Mk1, but Mk2 ??

Look at this (deliberately wrong) image and ponder what would happen to the socket if you leaned on that cable - let alone try to avoid the bulk of it

1 Like

Ah, I get you now, but I mean the other way about, I can see a large jack cable going into a Minijack adapter is putting a lot of weight on it, but the other way round where I have a eurorack cable going into a 1/4 jack adaptor of decent quality and into the back of the A4? Maybe I have misunderstood if that’s what you’re referring to.

I haven’t followed all the thread above - but if you’re angling for something like this I don’t see the issue, nor the massive need for quality tbh
… but better things last and don’t break off inside (as has happened to some !!)

adaptor

edit: none of these are gold plated

Yea I was one of them and feel like an idiot, 4 days into owning the A42 which is why I’m being cautious now. It was obviously a dodgy adaptor, but I decided to not take the risk of even a good quality one, bought these instead…

https://matttechmodular.co.uk/product/3-5mm-to-6-35mm-cable-120cm/

Fair enough - but FTR, when you pick up the Elektron CV splitter (handy for all sorts btw) you get two of those cables, braided, sturdy with Branding - nice - but much more useful for the Mk1 analogs

1 Like

Hi all,

Waiting on an A4 Mk1 to be delivered.

Can you point me in the direction of the correct cables so I can control a semi mod synth using the CV out.? I can see it must be some sort of splitter cable but I’m just not sure what to get.

Thanks.

I’m wondering if two of the below cable would work to extract the 4 CV outputs of the A4 or if I need the CV splitter by elektron.

Also can I use the A4 as a MIDI to CV converter using a thru cable from the Octatrack and be able to sequence the modular using the Octatrack? or do I need something like the mutant brain or the cv.ocd

That cable should work.

Yes. Midi out from OT to A4. A4s cv track will act as midi to cv converter.

1 Like

so MIDI arps can be a thing? wow

There’s not enough info there to know that, it may be a headphone duplicator with dual trs.

It says 2x mono mini jack to stereo jack.

So it should be trs to 2x ts.

2 Likes