Creating drums like this?

Just wondering if anyone had a rough idea of how to create a stable drum like this on the RYTM?

Cheers

1 Like

Love that track!
Not sure what you are asking really. Stable? Good analytical listening skills and good working knowledge of your drum synth should allow you to mimic or approximate most things.

samples.

Sigha is one of my favourite artists. Such clarity with all his sounds.

Ehh I guess I just mean that the ‘clicks’ dont seem to drift if that makes any sense? My DFAM ‘clicks’ seem to drift a little and arent very stable. Not sure if that makes any sense to you atall. Cheers for getting back to me on this one anyway.

Might be to do with the oscillator(s) or envelopes not resetting on the trigger consistently? It’s common with analogue drum machines that when the oscillator/vca/filter is being reset on a new hit, because it resets from different positions in the waveform/envelope, and/or if the envelopes aren’t super fast, the sound you hear on each hit can vary, especially in the attack portion. Very obvious on an 808 BD, for example.

Samples negate that by playing back the exact waveform the same every time.

2 Likes

Cool. I have heard that. Cheers for the reply. Anyway of fixing this or is it just a common problem?

If the machine does it, I doubt there’s a way to change that behaviour. Maybe less aggressive envelopes would not suffer from it so much, if you have control over that - but that sort of variance is what a lot of people complained about with digital drum machines. Not having that natural variation or “life” in the sound.

Samples don’t suffer from that, like I said (and @Elektronot, more succinctly), so what if you sampled a hit that you’re happy with from the DFAM and played it back with the Rytm?

Nice yea thats a good idea. I may try that. Not even sure how you sample of the Elektron aha. Would hard syncing the two oscillators on the DFAM work do you think? Ive actually yet to try that. Cheers again

Depends how the patch is set up but hard sync might help. Give it a try!

You can sample directly into the Rytm Mk2, but not the Rytm Mk1.

Thanks very much

1 Like

the drifting clicks have to do with the sinus-esque waveform being at a different phase each time the amplitude envelope is hard gated open at the beginning of each note - this essentially results in a zero-crossing pop that has differing amplitudes based on the phase of the wave when the gate is opened. When I patch this type of analog bass drum patch in my modular system I will re-sync the oscillator with the trigger source for the bass drum if I want consistency of click/attack at the beginning of the note, so the relationship of the sine phase to the trigger stream stays constant. I don’t believe there is any function on the analog rytm to allow re-syncing/re-setting the phase of the analog oscillator, pretty sure I have seen this discussed before on this very forum (I consider this a serious design oversight personally)

Cool, thanks for the reply. I seen a similar video with Tobi Neumann to what you’re explaining. Im just not sure how I would go about this on the DFAM? Do you have any idea? Cheers man!

look for a ‘sync’ input for the oscillator - if there’s no ‘sync’ input there’s no way to externally reset the phase of the oscillator

looking at the DFAM panel it does not appear there is an external sync input for either oscillator, only a hard sync switch to sync one oscillator to the other

things like this are why I have lots of modules, no semi-modulars, and very carefully selected standalone pieces

I even have a VCA module that can be configured to wait for a zero-crossing in the input signal before opening up after receiving a gate - it was designed specifically to address the types of problems we’re discussing here. However, it is kind of a band-aid solution and can introduce its own issues (WMD digital VCA)

Bas**rd!! Hard syncing them wont keep it stable then no? Cheers for the detailed reply.

no problem! unfortunately the hard sync between oscillators won’t really help you here unless you can turn down the sync oscillator to LFO rates and use it to also clock your sequencer - you need to be re-setting the phase of your bass drum oscillator using your trigger stream, so every time the bass drum is triggered the oscillator is at the same phase at the beginning of every note

also realize that even if you have a sync input there isn’t exactly much standardization for how they work and for analog oscillators the reset behavior is a fundamental part of the design - fancier designs may have more than one type of sync input though, which is pretty cool (tbh oscillator sync is something I need to learn more about so not much more to say on the subject)

Nice, cheers man! I have the dixie ii. May try make drums with that. Could you give me a patch example maybe? I dont have stackables and got the make noise mult so not really sure what options are there. Also got the Batumi and an adsr just incase thats what I need. cheers again

sure here’s a basic patch diagram, but while creating this image I see the Dixie panel has re-labeled the sync input as ‘flip’ ?? wtf? my dixie is not labeled ‘flip’… is this still just the sync input? that is odd

I actually really like to use the Korgasmatron for bass drums - interestingly it can also be crudely re-sync’ed by pinging the audio input with your trigger stream

Ah yes. Envelope and oscillator retrigger. DFAM will not do this, as it does not have those functions. And that is exactly why I love my DFAM, drifty analogue envelopes.
Conversely, I pretty much always set up my OT to emulate drifting oscillators or envelopes because I dislike the exact same ‘‘click’’ every time a sample is triggered.
Not sure what gear Sigha uses, but it would appear he uses samplers and maybe drum synths that have osc retrig plus env retrig.

right before I fell asleep last night I wondered if you can re-sync the Rytm filter self-oscillation in this way - the Rytm has an impulse machine that will ping the filter, so it may be able to be crudely re-synced the same way I have patched up the Korgasmatron many times, thus achieving a consistent behavior at the beginning of the percussive tone. You’re limited to using the filter as an oscillator of course, but it may achieve the desired effect, and sweeping the pitch on a self-oscillating filter often makes for a great kick

1 Like

Another option would be saturation or compression to mask the perceived click drift.