Convince me on why I should *NOT* buy an Octatrack

WE CAN’t Help u.

We don’t know what you already have. How long you make music in Home-Studio, Gaz is high regarding more than one piece of equipment including the OT or the only target is the OT. You want the OT MK1 second hand or the OT MK2… (there’s always negatives or 2nd thoughts because we all have in mind how the product could be perfect for us… but it’s in our head… we must achieve with what we have.)

We know nothing.
WE CAN’t Help u.

3 Likes

I get bored naming and saving things. Its not like an Ableton Live set where you can do a bunch of stuff and just hit save and turn it off. You have to be very particular about that or you’ll lose work. I think thats the thing that hurt me most about it - i loved what it did, and using it is a blast, so much fun using it in all its various ways, but ultimately all my work on it vanished into thin air - user error of course. If u wanna jam with sound potentially with a care free attitude about keeping that work, dive right in. If you go the other way, you’ll have a lot of organisational work cut out for you. I think its fun, dump your bounces or samples into it and jam and your tracks will end up in places you never expected. My only advice would be to always be recording out to a DAW or something, as a backup. Thats the point where the lack of 8 outs will frustrate you, and its ultimately what made me sell it. If the OT had 8 outs, or, it could actually record as an 8-track while you jammed with the 8 tracks - it’d be a box direct from heaven. But i always felt handcuffed because of this.

For this reason I think Elektron’s way of marketing it as a performance machine is spot on - its true purpose is to be smashing a 2-channel live set through a PA

8 Likes

Why is there so much confusion with sample time on the OT. Hear a lot of different stuff about this

Because it depends on the settings and the dynamic allocation of the available memory.

2 Likes

Is 1100€ worth for brand new MKI?
Or is MKII that much better? @ 1349€?

Finally…

2 Likes

Dr Cenk is on call 24/7

2 Likes

Because depending on what you do you might be better off with a 2nd hand MPC1K.

2 Likes

There are bugs acknowledged and unfixed for years.

Buy one though

3 Likes

If it’s GAS only, don’t get it. OT mastering takes time and some devotion. It’s not switching on and there you go.

BUT, if you have already some educated idea or plan, how to use it in your setup, try it. :wink:

2 Likes

this is amazing, haha

I have an Analog Rytm, about 5 vintage analog synths, and a shiny new 0-Coast by Make Noise. Super experienced producer. Do not have any issues writing music. But always looking for new creative ways to enhance the workflow

1 Like

Oh, and one more thing - if you do get it, and don’t like it, don’t let the ‘you just never understood how great it is’ crowd get to you. We are quite a few that actually found it accesible, but not that great… :wink:

Good luck in your travels.

2 Likes

knowing the RYTM inside out will help though no? I’m assuming theres many similarities if you’re already familiar with one Elektron box. I’ve always wanted a box to do live sampling and then doing crazy P-locks on that stuff on the fly

2 Likes

great post, totally something to consider. thanks for that

Its like an old school Texas Instruments way of calculating music. When you plug in a guitar you may feel like a rock star, but if you plug in an octatrack, you may feel like you’re back to school. reading the manual you wonder what that trigless trig means, and how many bars are really repetitive, and what happens to your FX tails etc.
What is when you used all the features, do you remember it the next week ? Managing your samples and organizing your set is complicated and not intuitive.

:heart_eyes:

3 Likes

well, minus all the terms learned from the Rytm. We also have trigless trigs :wink:

1 Like

Yes it will help. The sequencers share many options. The logic of p-locks, trigs, etc. is common to Elektron boxes.

The AR is more or less supposed to be used rhythmically. The OT on the other hand is a kind of a Jack of all/many trades. Just remember all those different functions, sampler, sound-mangler, mixer, FX, looper, midi-sequencer etc. etc.

If those “machines” inside the OT and the concept of using different machines for different tasks don’t make you scratch your head, go for it.

The most useres complaining about the OT to be too complicated just didn’t realise that the OT is a multi-purpose unit, which needs to be learned step by step and that the manual should be near by and read from time to time :wink:

1 Like

Ok then, for me it was and it’s still the octatrack. I use it only with oneshots short and long materials, i like it to get the groove model exactly as i want it to be. Trig conditions is a major option for me the way i work. I need to be able to sequence ultra huge long evolving sequence streamed from the card and making those even better… i can’t enjoy more in live performance to be able to use elektron sequencer on 4 bars and what i can do with it … when idea or emotions start to flow or speak out of my control … i just let go and i take so much pleasure. Nothing can give me that. Live performance also change the way i think track construction as it’s an experimental way to try takes and keep only the best parts.

I do feel then my music is even better as it’d more human and takes are kept as instant of playing. And not thinked as something who need to be important or different… variations naturally comes and born from esperiment and tweaking. Invaluable when something happen.

I bought an mkI new recently for 870€… 1100€ sounds crazy.