Octatrack: Help me to love it

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: OT audio routing

:elot:I HATE YOU
Oh but I really do luuurve you :heart_eyes:

I wouldnt say you wasted your moneyā€¦its more like you invested in something thats going to get better as you learn it. Iā€™ve had mine for 3 years and it still surprises me with new ways to create.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: OT audio routing

This again???

1 Like

Feature Request:
Elektron sends a personal therapist along with the Octatrack who stays and counsels the buyer through all their emotional torment until they know they want to keep it.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

**Thread starter:
This is not personally aimed at you, just a joke as this seems to be a reoccurring theme. Usually if one doesnā€™t sell and makes it out of this phase, the OT tends to become one of their favorite pieces of gearā€¦

3 Likes

Push the faders as high as they can go, so the pretty red lights flash. Everyone knows when the pretty red lights flash, it means it sounds better.

2 Likes

If you dont like itā€¦ I get The Octatrack

if you sell it LetĀ“s Go

or change for a New K-Mix (Keith McMillen) plus $$$$ difference

Only had mine a couple days but I like it :slight_smile:

I can see it has specific use cases. It might be dangerous to think of it as an all in one box - I think I prefer the Swiss Army knife metaphor. Project to project, it can take on new meaning and serve different purposes.

A lot of this always comes down to budget and pre-existing gear, how things generally fit into whatever studio setup is going on.

As an A4 and AR user, Iā€™m finding the OT breathes space into the middle of those two boxes where previously things were getting a little tight. I can offload A4 tracks to the OT, resample everything for transitions, and personally I kinda like the OTā€™s fx, particularly with LFOā€™s and in combo with whatever fx on the sound being piped in.

As dumb as this sounds, thinking of the OT as an eight-track is maybe the most non-conservative approach to getting the most out of it. Maybe using it as a four-track or heck even a two track- gives you then an intense amount of options rather than the limits of the full 8. But again it depends on the project and studio.

Something I havenā€™t tried yet wondering if someone can confirm - what is the max neighbours that can be chained? 3 per side?

ie track1 -> 2 NEI -> 3 NEI -> 4 NEI?

1 Like

Yes. Split into two. Tracks 01 to 04; and Tracks 05 to 08. Canā€™t have a Neighbor machine on Tracks 01 and 05 as no previous track to listen to.

Track 01 Static/Flex/Thru/Pickup -> Track 02 Neighbor -> Track 03 Neighbor -> Track 04 Neighbor

Track 05 Static/Flex/Thru/Pickup -> Track 06 Neighbor -> Track 07 Neighbor -> Track 08 Neighbor

2 Likes

You can use track 8 as a master effect, and also Recorders to add more serial effects. They can be set like a Neighbor :

Track 1, Nei 2-3-4
Record T4 with Recorder 5 trig, play it with track 5 with Recording 5.
Record T5 with Recorder 6 trig, play it with track 6 with Recording 6, etcā€¦

You can Record Cue too, and make a kind of send - return effect.

3 Likes

You donā€™t have to love it.
If it never really clicked with it, you donā€™t have to force yourself at all costs, sell it and move forwards.

troll

The OT is the only Elektron I have ever owned, I sold my first one in 2014, and Iā€™ll never do that again. At this stage, the only thing that I find to be somewhat problematic is the pitch shift algorithm is not very good, but it is there. Even Liveā€™s looper device doesnā€™t have pitch shift without changing the playback speed of the loop.

The OT can be many things. I think one of the magical things about the OT is some of its ways of working as it applies to a personā€™s workflow seem only to emerge after a considerable amount of time.

2 Likes

Could you give an example of that?

For me, an example would be this:

It took me a bit of time to discover how I wanted to link various patterns with different parts. Right now Iā€™m usually not using more than four patterns per bank (each bank is a separate composition for me), so Iā€™ve linked each pattern in a bank with its own part. But obviously Iā€™ve still got 12 patterns left in the bank to work with if I have four patterns used. I donā€™t necessarily need to use them, but they are there, and my individual way of using this structure is still emerging.

Another example is the gradual process of discovery Iā€™ve experienced with integrating the use of pickup machines looping my bass or my tanbur with OT sequencer and the various things it can do with both preprogrammed sequences and sequencing the audio Iā€™ve just live sampled.

I hope these examples help.

2 Likes

Whatā€™s your workflow for sampling instruments? I have so far only failedā€¦ are you sampling while you play something else and then slice while you play everything together?

you can have a pre-sliced flex machine assigned to the recorder buffer, so there is no need to slice the sample after sampling it :wink:

1 Like

I use pickup machines because Iā€™m a string player used to a looper workflow, but I do want to explore other live sampling techniques at some point. What part didnā€™t work for you? Are you sampling directly to flex (manual or recorder trig) or using pickups?

What if the battery run down?