Coloured trig keys for MK1?

Someone posted this excellent video, which apart from showing why the Rytm needs to have a pattern select mode like all other drum machines, also shows these very nice 808 themed colored keys. Any idea where he got those?

I emailed him but never heard back…

Stickers

Its pretty easy to pull the keys off and paint them.

1 Like

I would need to open the machine to pull the keys off , right?

sugru?

Yes pull the knobs off then the faceplate.

I suck at painting stuff… I guess a spray can will give the best results.

Someone could make a few bucks selling custom coloured keys! Between OT, AR and A4 mk1 owners there’s got to be a few people wanting to get away from the utilitarian grey…

you could probably get someone to 3D print them pretty cheap tbh.
I am unfortunately not yet cleared to use the 3D printer at our local makerspace or I’d offer!

Thats not a bad idea. Im in the process of getting a monomachine repaired and questioned the technician at Elektron about custom keys and he said to look into digikey/mouser for custom stuff. That must be the standard used on the boxes(at least the silver ones).

1 Like

If anyone finds suitable colored replacements, post the link here :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s a really cool touch for the Rytm mk 1

Nope

you shouldn’t need to - all the buttons are similar - they just have different sized caps, that’s all, they can be carefully removed (with patience) using tape protected pliers - no need to risk taking the faceplate off

there should be a few posts/threads with pictures of folk doing this in-situ

use a thin paint(primer) which keys well - you don’t want stuff flaking off inside and getting into your pads etc

if in doubt - run it past support

Personally I’d use stickers , if you choose to sell in the future you’ll have the option to remove them
Or maybe ask elektron if they sell the caps and you could just snap them on and have a spare set if you paint them.
If they’re like the octatrack buttons , they’ll click off quite easily but there is limited space between caps/ holes on the case .

Might be worthwhile using uv paint / clear uv layer ?
I’ve often been tempted to put an entire sheet of clear adhesive mask over the top , I haven’t got a nice circular cutter/blade though , i’d Get annoyed if I cut the button holes imperfectly.