Business practices [compilation topic]

In all due respect, the part I don’t get is that you say your students bought DT and already have OT mk1, but if they would of known about OT mk2 they would have bought that instead… The OTmk2 is the same as the OT mk1 with some different buttons and screen… What motivated them to buy a DT if adding new buttons and screen on their already existing OT outweighs their decision?
Also, what’s a warning about a product release? Isn’t that what they did? It’s not released yet and they announced it will be…
On the third point I have a hunch we have to wait a little more and Elektrons new vision will become more apparent as it seems to be in flux right now…
:okej:

1 Like

Honestly I wish you the best, I guess I bit and really I shouldn’t get caught up in all of this. Music and people are what’s important to me, I’m super easy going and none of this stuff bothers me at all, I more really just wish to others that they not allow it to bother them as well, and just be good people and have fun making music! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

the ones who bought the DT don’t own the OT, and vice versa !
i’d say the 2 machines are mutually exclusive. (or at least, when you have an OT, the GAS for a DT is minimal)

same here, which is why i only visit these forums on rare occasions.

It’s absurd to me that people are whining about a well loved company releasing new product. People need a dose of reality and need to lose this out of touch entitlement schtick. It’s unbecoming.

Let’s say you go and you purchase a new 2017 car. Predictably, 2018 models roll out with some slight updates and a mild price increase. Has that car manufacturer breached ethics or committed shady business practices? Does your 2017 car cease to have utility or value? Oh but the lights are cooler and I like the new colors on the 2018. Well then I’d say you know your options.

Good luck finding any company that makes their product life cycle public information. And if this new launch seems slapdash, maybe we should be reminded of the fact that a retailer leaked in error and probably violated an NDA. I can imagine that may have thrown a spanner into the works.

Dear Elektron: thank you for making insanely good instruments that offer unending inspiration for years. Thank you for listening to the community when they are making sense, and politely disregarding them when they do not. Even though I’ve had my Octatrack now since 2011, it still has a unique feature set that no other instrument at any price can touch. That’s an impressive feat.

1 Like

this comparison does not work, however, even if on the surface it looks like it. the difference is that car manufacturers are EXPECTED to release a new iteration of their current models each year. Your exemple actually reinforces my point. Car consumers KNOW in advance that next year will bring an updated version of the car they’re buying today. So yes, car consumers are in fact aware of the product life cycle. And indeed, because a new model is released doesn’t make the older one obsolete. Sometimes it may make the older one more desirable. I’m not discussing that fact.

so, let me ask you this : car consumers are aware that their model will be upgraded next year. Still, people buy cars every day, knowing full well that a new, upgraded version will come in the next 12 months. What’s the difference ?

1 Like

We made our choices when we selected our purchases. Noone forced it upon us. a4 and OT are 6 - 7 years old so it makes sense they get updated. They will at least be supported for some time to come. If they had been discontinued, support may have stopped sooner, no upgrade path etc. Enjoy the gear chosen, play it until it dies or you get bored of it.

DARK TRINITY FOREVER.

1 Like

May the force be with you!

3 Likes

With the Analog Rytm, isn’t the new “sampling” feature something that is done within OB and not hardware sampling on the device?

Seems to be advertised as hardware sampling, on the device.

To not fall in cliche and put the Force from LG, instead this remix from him about Pressure from Gilb’R

1 Like

I guess we’ll have to come back Happy House Music now… as it was so more FUN than today.

Laurent Garnier, the man.

1 Like
2 Likes

One of , THE MEN … and he stays POSITIVE Everytime even after more than 30 years of music… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

There is nothing unique our even remotely unethical about selling off existing stock before announcing a refresh. This happens every day with watches, jewelry, computer hardware, recording equipment, consumer electronics, appliances, etc, on and on. FIFO.

Name one manufacturer in the MI space that tells you ahead of time what their product release schedule will be over the next few years, including EoL, manufacturing changes and enhancements to said products.

2 Likes

Yea. I don’t get why so many posters are butt hurt over some new gear. It’s not like the MKIs suck. They’re still rad.

Shit. Sell them and pay the upgrade difference.

Pretty simple

1 Like

To me it seems pretty obvious that the AR&A4 MKII’s got an increase in size because they are going to release a 3rd device that needed more space, and kind of tilts like a mixer would. Not an OT2, but a new thing, that may or may not feel like the OT is missing from the Trinity.

1 Like

Says Sampling capability, that’s it.

Yes and it is referring the hardware capability, not overbridge.
Id be interested to understand why you think it is overbridge or if you have seen a report - news on this.