Between a Digitakt, Digitone, and monophonic Moog, which two (if any) would you choose and why?

Title says it all!

I have the Digitone right now and played with it for nearly 2 days straight. I learned a lot of the ins and outs… I built a perfected pattern, broke it down, and just when I built it up… I ran into some issues.

Namely, clicking on the bass drum during quick/full song sections. I understand that can be avoided by further sound design on the pattern but it’d annoy me a little to have one bass drum slightly different than all the other patterns during the climax of the song. Next, I just nearly added everything I needed to the main pattern and hit some voice issues… not sure if it’s a voice stealing thing or what but I tried my best to keep it below 8 at once, didn’t seem to work. Perhaps I need to look into sound locking some more?

It’d be unfortunate to have to return this because I really enjoy what I’ve been creating.

My dilemma is: should I keep the Digitone and sell my Moog to get a Digitakt? Or should I just scrap a few track sounds from the Digitone and MIDI track to my Moog Sub Phatty? I’m a big fan of FM synthesis, I’d have a hard time letting it go, but what I’ve determined is the Digitakt is simply more powerful… especially for guitar players.

What do you think?

Get the Digitakt. It can sound like everything because it’s a Sampler and you can record your Moog with it. Along with your Guitar. The SubPhatty has an awesome sound, i wouldnt ever think about returning it if i had one :slight_smile: Same goes for the Grandmother. Both were too expensive for my taste once they came out - but hell do they sound good!! :smiley:

Easy choice i would say. Get the Digi and never look back :wink:

PS: This advice comes from someone who hates FM, because it always sounds metallic - in a way :smiley: Keep that in mind :wink:

1 Like

Ok mate that is how I’m feeling. I have a few FM VSTs if I really need them anyway… which I do because I enjoy FM :slight_smile:

… with the Digitakt I can make my Sub Phatty polyphonic… :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Well, you can make poly sounds with that kit, but it’d involve a lotta careful sampling to make it sound like a polyphonic Moog.

Honestly I think any combo of those three would be a bangin kit with a capability/limitation ratio that could squeeze a lot of creative stuff out of you.

1 Like

I disagree. The only thing to take care about when making a Monophonic Synth polyphonic is to keep that Low End under control. Easily fixable on the Digi with the HP-Filter. And lets not forget that you can Pan the individually recorded Voices to make Room in the frequency spectrum if necessary.

What the OP is thinking about doesnt have true disadvantages. The only thing you loose is realtime control over the Sound you record. But even this opens up possiblities: Record the Notes of the Chord with different Sound Settings and you end up with a different sounding Chord every time you do this :smiley: Now resample these Chords with the Digi and use them on another Pattern - straight away, no hassle. Add sound locks into the fray along with Trig Conditions … you get the idea i think :wink:

Right, well I’m just saying, you’ll have to record the monosynth a bunch, it’s not like digitakt will make your Moog grow a fresh batch of oscillators.

So any poly Moog tones in this setup will be at least partially sampled.

1 Like

Yep, thats right. But whats the problem with that?! Do we live in times where people look at their Oscilloscopes and say: Nah, this is sampled, this is crap - only the real deal is the true deal? Or do we live in times where we actually make Music and use what we have in the best way possible?

Maybe its just me, but i never understood the purism some people are following. In the end its about making Music. And not about that damn gear at all! :smiley:

Oh haha no, I’m not trying to imply that at all- I’ve had it up to here with purists and nit pickers.

I just had a friend who misread some manuals and things and thought the right midi hookup would make a sub phatty polyphonic, and I didn’t want to lead anybody down that road.

Whiiiiich I guess can read as pretty nit picky :wink:
I’m all for meshing gear up and mangling sound by any means necessary!

1 Like

I have a DT and have sampled my sub 37, sub phatty and DFAM into it…sounds incredible…! And im finding myself going to the source instruments less. Butt there is nothing that compares to the hands on experience of interacting with moog instruments. They make you play them (more than just keys).

Not much of a fan of trying to make thier mono synths poly, there is simply tooooo much going on sonicly and the resault eats too much frequency spectrum and headroom in any mix.

Its better to let the moogs do what they were intended to do and combine them with something juxtaposing like fm for evolving chords and textures.

I have sampled a TX81Z and volca FM into the DT as well. For percusive snippets. But still go to the source for evolving poly chords.

DUDE…if i had to desert island pick one it would be the DT with some great samples on it but if you can make it happen…GET ALL 3…KILLER COMBO…

2 Likes