Best circuitbending targets?

Yea I know done Casio SK1 and Yamaha Vss30, lots of Casio Sa minikeyboards, bunch of Texas instruments Speak and Spell/Maths/Read, still need to do my Yamaha shs10 keytar, Roland Tr505, Alesis Hr16, …

But what was the coolest circuit bent thing (in terms of sound and play functionality) you have ever done?

I went through a savage circuit bending phase about 10 years back. I circuit bent everything I could find at car boot sales. I often found I got the most out there results from speaking toys, just the cheapest shittiest talking toys. Some of them were shit, but the odd one would just go mental with only a couple of bends, problem was they never really lasted very long, very temperamental.
Got rid of pretty much all of it apart from a speak and spell, a Gameboy and a couple of old Yamaha PSRs.

1 Like

I stopped bending years ago but things still work, only blew up an old crappy Realistic drummachine. I want to start bending again especially my SHS10 as it has MIDI! Been dreaming about circuit bent choas but controllable in a setup with hardware!

Yeah a Vtech talking Apple and minilaptops I did also, much fun.
A gameboy you can’t circuitbend I guess? Only the masterpitch putting a new clock in it I think. Have 2 old grey gameboys also, wanted to make some tunes with LSDJ or Nanoloop but never bought such a card yet. Or midines on the old Nes!

The PSR series are not that great I prefer the PSS’s! PSS has some sort of really nice 2 operator FM chip in it.

Yeah, the gameboy is just modded with a better audio output and a backlit LCD for use with lsdj not circuit bent in the traditional sense.

The PSS was definitely better than the PSR, but I got some really crunchy (if a bit limited) results out of them. I seemed to be able to get them clipping and distorting in really musical ways.

Hmm, I guess it‘s somewhat of a… standard pick (?) but I really enjoyed the Monotron Delay.
I configured it so I can read the direct delay signal coming from the resonant filter. Nice and crunchy, because the delay chip comes after the lowpass in the signal chain. Oh and I added a resonance potentiometer to it, which makes it go funky with the delay feedback.

A very functional and humble mod, but the plain functionabilty somehow impressed me.

1 Like

I’ve tweaked my Yamaha fb01 , changed a few capacitors and things in it , it’s a bit more loud / distorted and all details were off the net , though the main site people often use is heavily criticised if you search a little more on gearslutz.

Korg volca beats seems to be marked to make it easy to add individual outs.

Cool mods on that monotron delay, i still have it, need to bend it also, but it just went years ago in the box because I found it too noisy at that time :slightly_smiling_face:

Oh wow and is it even noisier when you directly read the delay output! Drive the input a bit and it even has a crunchy overdrive.
Approaching the good Basic Channel territory very fast!

Volca beats BOOMS with decent speakers but with indiv outs you need to add a breakout box, hate those things, I like to put all the bends and mods on the original casing.

I love that kind of shit, have plenty of records from Deepchord. It’s weird the older I get the more noise I like, bought a Lyra8 few months ago

1 Like