Audio changes in 1.05 / Restored in 1.06!

as always @mzero proving to be a valuable member of the elektron community. thank you for your time !

3 Likes

1.04 OD sounded better. New one, volume jump is noticeable and hyped sounding. But whatever! Don’t use it much.

Thank you @mzero!

I tend to agree, bit reduction sounds much more useful now and it’s easy adjust your current patterns to sound as before. But overdrive “jump” from 0 to 0.01 seems like a bug to me since there is no mentioning of this in 1.05 changes list.

I think you missed the point of my investigation: OD on 1.04 and 1.05 are identical. The only difference is that when OD is set off (0.00), then in 1.05 there is a notable volume drop - though that’s all.

There were some folks on a diff. thread saying it “sounded so much better”

so it sounds the same you say?

No, not me: The waveforms say: “It not just sounds the same, it is the same.” :smile:

No, really - look at the first pair of waveforms I posted: That’s the factory sample RS Don put through the overdrive at the same settings (including all analog volume and gain controls in my set up): top is 1.04 and bottom is 1.05. They are mirror images of each other because that changed in 1.05, the output was inverted. Otherwise, identical. They sum to silence!

I didn’t post them all, but I did this at 7 different overdrive settings, for each of 7 different factory samples. They all look like this: Other than inversion, they are the same waveform at the same volume.

The only setting that showed a change from 1.04 to 1.05 is overdrive set to 0.00, and there, the only difference is a volume drop of 3 to 6 db.

3 Likes

The lack of effect was probably most due to the amount overdrive applied at the very low end, like 0.01, is so small as to be perceptually hard to notice if it’s even possible.

Certainly, in 1.04, with OD set to 0.00, I never found any difference with the original waveform (other than the inversion). I’m not even sure at 0.01 you’d have heard any difference.

The only reason anyone noticed something in 1.05 is the volume isn’t smooth from 0.00 to 0.01. Whether that is due to them taking the OD out of the chain in 1.05, or accidentally changing a gain constant, we can only speculate. I’m pretty sure it is not intentional.

2 Likes

This can’t be accurate - if the overdrive is the same, why do so many of my patterns sound so off? The first time I hit play I nearly blew my ears out. I never used the bitcrusher before, so that’s not it, but something is causing my mix to be so off, with certain tracks now obviously louder.

I’m hesitant to make any adjustments in case the next firmware puts the overdrive back the way it was.

Waiting for an official response on this from Elektron.

If you adjusted your system volume based on a pattern or part of a pattern with overdrive off, you could have easily boosted your output 6db from where it would have been with 1.04. Then when you played a pattern or section with overdrive on multiple tracks, it would have been substantially louder than than before… but this bump is due to the increased gain to bring the non-overdriven parts up, not a change in overdrive…

As for accuracy - I hope I explained my methodology clearly above, but please ask questions if something wasn’t clear. 49 pairs of overdriven sample hits were identical in waveform (aside from inversion) and gain.

2 Likes

I think I understand now. So the workaround is to go through each track trig by trig and any trig with overdrive set to 0 needs to switched 0.01? Kind of a pain for heavily p-locked patterns.

I hope Elektron doesn’t revert it back later.

Update: Don’t bother! Elektron says update coming soon.

Well, I imagine that most tracks that are plocking overdrive probably have overdrive set to some base value, and the plocks are generally more overdrive. In this case, if the track’s setting for overdrive (non-plock’d) value is 0.00, just set it to 0.01. Done.

Now sure, if you’ve got a track where the track setting for overdrive is some high value, and you have plocks that set overdrive to 0.00 - yeah, ya gotta find those and set them to 0.01 to get the same effect as 1.04 firmware.

Hey this means my guess was right about volume drop from no overdrive in 1.05 rather than volume bump from overdrive! All my tracks have atleast a tiny amount of overdrive and my volume balance between the DT and my other synths remained the same. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I love seeing this kind of critical analysis! Now someone do this for the A4 and the MKII! Curious to see the waveform differences with the filter and overdrive!

1 Like

Nice thread, thanks for the info!

1 Like

Well apparently it sounds the same? If the waveforms null it has to. Perhaps the volume boost is playing a psycho-acoustic trick on you.

Nice one, Thanks !

1 Like

Really well done. I wonder if they changed the overdrive setting so that it matches Digitone?

Really happy about the tweaks to the bitcrushing. It was unusable in improvisation settings previously because of the jumps.

Just in case anybody misses this post in the OS 1.5 thread: Digitakt OS 1.05

1 Like

Retested with 1.06, results edited as an update at the top of the thread.

4 Likes

So cool! Can’t thank you enough! Gladly updated to 1.06

1 Like