Anyone else feel almost a bit "spoiled" by Elektron gear?

?

The joy of possesing a beautiful instrument, i mean in its solid form? Like a guitar for example?

The pride of possesing a classic device, like an old synth or whatever that means something important to you? That I understand too

Yes there’s this… but there is even more. Like convenience and reliability on stage for example. The list goes on, but the point is that “hardware” is not going away anytime soon and for very good reasons.

1 Like

P-Locks were not actually ‘invented’ by Elektron, their roots can be traced back to trackers and before that on things like the Roland MC-4, MC-202 (in a limited fashion) and so on.

However what Elektron did do was to vastly expand on these earlier concepts and more importantly implement them in a (so far) unsurpassed user interface, the hold step and add/edit/view a p-lock is a very intuitive and barrier-less mechanism which is a joy to use.

13 Likes

Please elaborate :wink:

Sounds interesting.

So you’re saying Elektron is the Beatles of electronic instruments?

4 Likes

That‘s literally what he said :joy:

2 Likes

Volca Sample for cheap p-locks.

Plus it has some nice sequencing features you don’t get on Elektron like active steps and instant pattern change

2 Likes

Though Elektron boxes excel at recording step modulation, they are not so hot on recording continuous modulation.

It would have been nice if conditional trigs could only be cancelled by a subsequent conditional
trig. It would then be easy to have say the filter frequency at one value for the first 4 bars and modulate to a different value for the next 4 bars.

Still, you can’t have everything in life

1 Like

I had this realization recently. I traded my Digitakt (my most beloved piece of gear) for an MPC one after a solid 2 years with the DT. I guess I just thought something new would spark some creativity. I was wrong…

I immediately missed the DT and could not vibe with the MPC at all. There is something so great about working with Elektron devices in general. They really open my mind to what I can do. No shade on the MPC it just was worlds apart from how quickly I can get going on a DT.

Well I upgraded to a Black RYTM Mk2 after moving the MPC One on to someone looking for a vinyl sampling workhorse. Felt like the right thing to do. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Been diving into the akai force as a do it all and midi sequence brain for the last couple of months. It has some mojo. Yesterday switched on the elektrons for a jam… first time on quite a while. It was like coming home to family. Sure the Force is cool, but for speed and focus and interface, elektron is still on top. Now considering how to integrate together.

1 Like

Would you mind going into some specifics about the differences? One seems like a great alternative to DT but I’ve never had an Akai.

Not really, since I’m not really into how Elektron synths sound right now, and can use the OT with any midi capable synth. It’s just the best utility device ever made, and I have no need for any other sequencer or sampler ever. So not spoiled, but extremely content.