Any DSI Evolver love?

If you feel like that about it, I say go for it. Even if the price is a little over the odds, you will be able to sell it and not lose out too much if it doesn’t work out.

I think it’s pretty much perfect for that!

1 Like

Dear lord.

But thank you, all the same :slight_smile:

1 Like

This one 's been on my radar for a long time, as one of those special, characterful creations I’d like to try someday. Def not a bread 'n butter type synth.

Yeah, I’m thinking I’m done with bread and butter anyway. Doesn’t seem to take me anywhere I want to go. Hence the more experimental lure of the Evolver. Might be a mirage, tho.

I’m thinking I’m gonna decide right after lunch :slight_smile:

I say go for it. I have wanted one since day one. If I find one in a good price range I will be getting one myself. They don’t pop up that much which to me speaks for the synth

Just for ref, I tried out a Minilogue XD now at lunch. As lovely as it is, it did remind me that it’s exactly this kind of familiar sound I’m not after anymore. I really am looking for something that stands out, not just because the way I use it but just because it’s a quirky creature on its own.

I had it for a long time. I sold it just because I wanted to consolidate stuff and have a simpler set up. If I didn’t have to, I wouldn’t have. Makes awesome leads, crazy thick basslines for just about any genre. It’s bread and butter sound by design is HUGE (bass, leads, etc. and of course odd fx too).

Some examples.

2 Likes

Oof. That’s some strong and heavy stuff, man. I love it.

1 Like

Subjectivity is a strange thing, always seemed anything but this to my ears, if anything I have a diametrically opposite recollection of the Evolver vibe - one of the most warm and comfy filters to couch all that gritty VS side - if anything throwing the VS digital waves through the lovely filter just reveals how musical and truly analogue the filter is - far from digital sounding imho - I wouldn’t lean too much on the digital highpass filter though

The Evolver is one of those keeper synths and its hybrid nature is its strength - perhaps the sound design possibilities are so extensive that people end up in different territories with it and form a different opinion, but I was surprised to see this assessment

The desktop unit is possibly taking experimentation down a particular path, but I can’t imagine a keys unit could disappoint - that is a synth with so much under the hood, it needs some time to see its possibilities

There’s a lot of love for that synth and it was one of the first instruments restarting the analogue boom following the real digital years

It’s well named, it honestly demands constant tweaking (evolving) - it’s not a set and play affair (to me) it’s a sound playground and the sound it produces is sweet and warm to my ears - it has a phenomenal spec for a mono (especially when considering how much you get in desktop form)

It’s still going strong for a reason, it shouldn’t be such a risk especially if you’ve enjoyed what you’ve heard from it - you can do so much with just that synth, no need for extra gear if you want to noodle away on it as the sequencer and onboard delay can add so much - but you’d need patience to allow yourself time to see it for what it is and whether it works for you - the only fair criticism of the desktop version is the ridiculously small print under the double functioned encoder array - when you get to know the synth it’s quicker than you’d expect - so the keys unit will remove that obstacle

This document should really whet your appetite if you want to know what you can explore
http://www.carbon111.com/evolverguide.pdf

should’ve been in here - so may merge this once you decide after lunch :wink:

check out the chat in the link for other opinions, mostly glowing I’d imagine

8 Likes

Thanks :slight_smile: I’m off to a meeting now. Gonna pretend I’m present and say some clever things in the conf room, but in realness ponder this instead.

I shall leave that meeting and the room in question with a decision on the synth while my actual task at work, most likely far from being as accomplished as it could’ve been :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Clearly our priorities should be deciding on our gear investments, anytime anyday! :smile:

1 Like

So true. It was a very (un)productive meeting, all depending on your viewpoint.

I shall purchase this Mono Evolver, and go forth to places to which I have not been before. I hope :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback, all.

@avantronica - time to merge.

5 Likes

Good stuff, hopefully it’s what you are missing. Give it a good explore mind, it’s deep and if you master the seq you’ll have even more fun exploring

Merged here now. :thup:

2 Likes

Relevant to what?

If so, you should just buy it and try it. In my opinion, the Mono Evolver Keyboard is the optimal form of the Evolver.

2 Likes

Yep, so I’ve been told, including the Poly which many love but still don’t seem to convince in the same way that the Mono does.

So I’ve gone ahead and pulled the trigger now and am preparing the deal with the seller. Good times.

If you can get a copy of the evolver editing software there’s a great randomize patch function that creates patches based on relationships with other patches. I sold my evolver years ago, but while I had it I spent numerous evenings mutating patches that way.

4 Likes

get the evolver if you can… maybe you like the sound you can Poly chain evolvers and more…
youre right the mono evolver keyboard is from what i hear the HOTTEST! i have one in the studio and is not just a lovely sound spacecraft the sequencer + the modulation possibilities you can make some really original stuff a lot of this is hardwired and 4 osc this what makes this synth sound FAT and… sounds real good if you want all the evolver power try to get the MEK and add the desktops or poly rack if you find one!

don’t think it has been referenced but this is an excellent resource for Evolver demos, etc: http://www.trippler.net/music/DSI_Evolver/dsi_evolver.html

believe it or not, I used those demos to decide and pick a desktop unit up back in 2003, as well as for inspiration on what to do with it.

3 Likes

Enjoy! I owned two desktop Evolvers before finally getting a MEK. I am obviously a fan. The MEK layout of extra knobs (with on deck mod wheel, aftertouch and I love using an exrpession pedal, and sequencing mod galore) really opened up playability of the Evolver Engine. I just love riding the delays/tuned feedback lines.

As a sound design setup, I quickly land in new places every time. MEK would be last synth out the door if I needed $$.

1 Like

That’s great to hear. I’ve sealed the deal now. Da Evolver is on its way. Seeing as I’m without synth for the moment, timing’s pretty convenient. This and my Blackbox and life is good.

2 Likes