Analog Keys instead of Moog Sub37?

MPC-4000 (96KHZ 24 bit sampling) AK and Rytm… and Sub 37 and Pro 2 and Volca sample
Actually my set up is above–you need them all :slight_smile:

Tough decision in the end.

The more time I spend with Analog Four, the more I want the Analog Keys. Not to replace it, but in addition to it. Sound locks are a gift, but only get you so far when it comes to LFO automation, and 8 voices would be heavenly. Perhaps after OverBridge I’ll stop pining for the AK, as I’ll just record extra passes of A4 multi tracks.

I’m consistently impressed at the wide range of sounds the A4 is capable of. I think one of the reasons it is not a bass monster like Moog is that its capabilities are so vast and varied, that finding the section where the bass is good, means having to dig past all the other possibilities.
A bit like walking into a supermarket to buy a gallon of milk, versus walking into a convenient store. Far more aisles in the supermarket. (Not the best analogy, but you get me.)

Moog is dialed in for bass, no one will ever argue that, and sometimes at the cost of other sonic possibilities.
While constraints are great for creativity, choosing the solution where the limitations are going to be that of the user, than of the instrument itself often takes one farther.

With all due respect to the previous poster, Moogs do far more than bass - I don’t know where this story is coming from? Have you owned any Moogs at all? They are responsible for some of the best lead sounds ever made…

I enjoy my Analog Keys, but more for functionality over sound. Synthesizer sound is limited not just by programming limitations but also by components. My SH1000 is pretty rudimentary but has a filter+tone combination which destroys a lot of other newer, higher priced monos.

I can get sound out of the AK that I can not get out of other machines I own, and combined with the way it fits into my workflow (and OB, when it finally comes…) it makes it a winner in our house.

But in tonal quality, it doesn’t come close to the Sub37 to me.

Completely agree with Kotare, and this is also my dilemma. Sonically, for what I like, the Sub37 is superior and the paraphonic mode adds even more to an already versatile sonic palette.

I’ve played the AKeys extensively now for a couple of days in our local store. Much to love about it, but I can’t own both - don’t have space or coin. The Moog stays. It’ll have friends in my Tempest and Tanzbar, which both contain a certain dry yet suggestive quality, while I think the Elektron instruments are quite lush.

I’m not dogging on Moog. And yes, I had owned a Slim Phatty for two years. And yes, it was great for leads as well. I made no blanket statement here.
All I am saying is that some Moogs can only do so much , but in return do some things incredibly, conveniently, and exceptionally well.

Fair enough.

I mean there are Moogs, and then there are MOOGs.

Still sticking with it, in case you’re wondering. Which I’m sure you’re not. I just wanted to tell you for my own sake.

But what I’d really like, is just more tracks on the Analog Rytm. Eight at once is solid, but not enough.

How’s about unlocking all twelve in the next firmware WHOA OFF TOPIC but I said it and it needed to be said.

The Moog stays, though.

Don’t think that’s possible. Only so many oscillators in there. Think of the Chokes as dedicated sound lock tracks.
No one will judge you for having two Rytms :wink:

i usually think i am doing something wrong when I need ‘more’ of something.

I had somewhat of the same situation. I traded my Sub phatty for a A4. I liked the sound of the Sub Phatty, but I found within a week it was not enough. I also found it to be a bit to aggressive. I also had a WerkStatt which is a little beast( would get another) and that was great for getting that Moog bass. But everyday I spend on my A4 I’m so glad I traded it. Get a AK and a Werkstatt with the CV expansion board and your good too go.

Ha! I just sold my A4 and bought a Sub Phatty instead. Was thinking about the Sub 37, but it’s like twice the price and I don’t think I’d need the duophony or the sequencer, so I’d basically pay 650€ to have an extra keyboard octave, which is a bit much for that. I played both the Sub Phatty and to Sub 37 in the store and thought they sounded more or less the same.

It’s still of course the honeymoon period with the Moog as I got it just 2 days ago, but I’m loving it so far. I was getting a bit bored with the A4, the Moog sound is a new, yet undiscovered territory for me.

Well, I use only the Rytm and a Sub37, so in this rig, any additions don’t imply debauchery or dionysian tendencies just yet.
In principle, I agree, though. I used to have more stuff. Practically sold it all. And it’s true what they say, I’m a happier person for it.
But it does create choices, like the one that started this thread.

Sub37 is in a class of it’s own. That being said, I wouldn’t sell my A4 either. I suppose if I couldn’t have both, I would have to go with the sub37, it will be a moog classic IMO.

What I’m finding out now, though, is that the Sub37 sort of sits in another room when I work with it. It’s so sonically distinct that I have difficulty getting it to work in my mix. You can really tell that it’s in a different league, and not always in a good way when I’m trying to get it to play nice with my filthy dirty stuff.

It’s sort of like inviting a fashion model to a party where the rest of us are just the rest of us. It’s great to have that person there, everyone can appreciate the beauty and the shine, and this model character is nice and polite to everyone,

But it’s a context that won’t last. This model is just a guest, and eventually this person will leave to a place where others are equally beautiful, and the rest of us will enjoy our beers and cheap box wines, and we’re cool with that.

I wonder if I’m man enough to get this Moog to work with my music.

Lol I understand that. The OSCs on the CS50 do the same to me.

You have to either let it shine, balls out, or use a lot of filter (especially band pass).

Good luck!

I have both sub 37 and A4. I would get rid of the Moog before the A4. The tones you can get out of the A4 are to me much nicer than the sub 37. Sub 37 looks and feels just awesome and does have a great sound, but you have sooooo much more flexibility when it comes to the Elektron. Plus sequencer and the reverb is soooo good I use it on most of my other instruments and also use it as a send from my DAW. Along with the CV control? drum beats?..its a no brainer actually. I think you made a wise choice.

I love my AK and was about to get a Sub37 to supplement the moog voice. I realised if I saved up another 500 dollars and got a used Voyager instead. That’s the moog that gave me the wow whenever i play it. The sub37 was good for getting bread and butter sounds, but that third oscillator on the Voyager and the BPF/HPF was worth the extra dough… The thing about the sub37 that needs to improve is the feeling of the knobs. Other than that the Sub37 is a growling beast that is also fun to play.

Did you consider this new analog poly synth-

https://futureson.us

Poly like the a4 but with less menu diving and more knob turning… Just lacks a sequencer

Good find!
A 3 OSC Mono synth for $499!

Good find!
A 3 OSC Mono synth for $499! [/quote]
8 voices for 1499…that is ridiculous. i already preordered my prophet 6 though. :sob: