Analog Heat L/R levels uneven

I’m using it since a few days and noticed a slight level difference in L / R
Even entering in mono the L output is always a little bit quieter.
I just adjusted my mixer levels but then I was wondering if there are other cases and fount this thread.
I was hoping for a calibration procedure or something.

I investigate it and had an exchange with Elektron support.
A little difference between L&R is inevitable with drive circuits.

But what bothers me the most is that it generate lot of phase.
I use an imager and it’s visible.
If it was only a panning problem, the imager would show a straight line leaning on one side. But it show that the Heat produce some phase when the drive circuit is engage.
When sending a white noise to the heat the comeback signal is centered and have a low phase reponse. But, when I use a low frequency sinewave, the output become out of phase.
So it depend a lot of the material injected.

Elektron support told me that they are working on an update adding a user setting for manually adjusting the balance when needed :grinning:

2 Likes

I’ve also had this issue, tho for me the level differences have been considerable. Only choosing a preset or restarting the device fixes it

Has there been any news on this update?
I have a mk2 I bought new a couple of years ago. I get a noticeable LR level difference (up to 1.5 db) using certain drive circuits, most noticeably on enhancement. Which sucks because thats my favourite one.

Would love a post drive panning option to level it back out.

3 Likes

Did some (empirical) test/listening yesterday and this is exactly what I have found:
More or less 1 to 1.5dB difference between L and R.
I then loaded another preset I use on the Heat (saturation) and it was down to 0.1 to 0.3dB difference.
Funny thing is that this difference is always on the same side (do not remember if L or R though).
I had not paid much attention to this previously as I was using the FreqPan option but since I got a WORNG MidSide+ and am not using anymore the FreqPan on the Heat, it has become apparent.
Not worried too much about it though as my hearing is very bad :slight_smile:

It was due to the vast differences between the L/R channels my AH+FX exhibited after a week of use that I had to return it. Like, L was barely registering and R was clipping kinda thing. The levels were matched until the unit was engaged. :((

1 Like

Interesting read this. I’ve noticed similar disparity over time, went ott checking cables and source units but appears to be internal within the heat+ and follows similar circuits mentioned.
One thing I haven’t tried is a factory reset… anyone tried this to see if it resets anything?

I have no news from the support.
This may have been corrected on the AH+fx but no update since for the MKI & II.
I don’t think they’re doing anything now…

I now only work with Overbridge and mid/side mode.

I’m also having this issue with AH+FX. Actually with everything disengaged, the left signal is louder. When I engage HEAT, the right side becomes substantially dominant - to the point where I get “!!” on the right side only at louder volumes). Frequency Pan is set to 12 noon/0.

1 Like

Happened to me too, had to send it back as it was a damaged unit.

I see. I started a support ticket. Curious, on the damaged one did you also notice that even when input sensitivity was low, you were often getting “!!”

I have the same problem on AH+FX, left channel is slightly louder on most circuits. This is disappointing and I’m starting to question if this can fit my use case, mostly live use, also mastering. This unit’s screen suddenly went glitchy after a couple weeks after buying it new, so I’m getting a replacement, if that also has an uneven output I might return it.

Edit: just to show the brand new glitchy AH+FX after a week of use, all screens had these grey lines before I returned it:

I’m curious what yourself and others may be doing to work with this pan imbalance? I don’t mind it as much when playing live but for mastering it’s quite awkward to just pan the master a little to the right to compensate!

I just pan the channel with the AH on it.
Nothing goes on the master. Ever.

1 Like

Not great to hear about the screen becoming glitchy as well. I will be using it live in 2 weeks, for just four shows. I’m hoping it at least will last for those. I should clarify that for me, the output signal is balanced. It’s the input signal, actually — left channel is meaningfully louder without HEAT engaged, but the right channel is meaningfully louder when HEAT is engaged. Yes, I have tested it with mono sound and many cables, and different sound sources as well… Still, left is louder when HEAT is off, right is louder when HEAT is on… filter panning is set to 0… nothing else is panned…

I’d be curious to hear if the replacement also has an uneven output. Please do report back… and good luck!

1 Like

received an email notification of this thread, realised i started it nearly 7 years back, it’s gone from MK1 to MK2 and now AH+FX, still the same issue?!

1 Like

I just got a +FX and the right channel is ~1 dB louder than the left one… How about that firmware update that someone was talking about a year ago?