Analog Heat L/R levels uneven

Hi guys, I recently got the Analog Heat, mostly for running stems through it.

Has any body noticed this problem? :

When checking back in recordings of the Heat, I noticed a weird thing where the left channel is considerably lower in volume than the right side, up to 1dB lower.

This is visible in the inout view meters of ableton, but also visible on the Heat’s display panel itself.

In this case, Heat is connected using 1/4 jacks, not USB.

To check it wasn’t some stupid user error,

• I’ve swapped cables L/R
  • Tried different cables
  • Used different outputs on the sound interface (Motu)
  • Used different audio file sources to test

The problem was first brought to my attention by a mastering engineer friend, and I thought it was a setup problem with cables, other hardware etc during recording one track.
But testing it now using clean audio files, it’s definitely a problem coming from the Heat, affecting other projects.

Grateful for any advice!

Pretty sure I’ve noticed the exact same behavior with mine but haven’t done much testing beyond swapping cables and have perhaps kind of been in denial about it since it otherwise sounds so good. :frowning:

1 Like

Yeah the Heat certainly sounds amazing, however I can see this L-R thing becoming quite annoying in the long run, as it adds extra steps/time to correct the audio digitally, especially for a pedal that costs north of 600 euros.

Trying not to state the obvious, but I’d certainly open a support ticket and see what they have to say since everyone is still under warranty. I was curious, so I tried to find pictures if anyone had opened theirs up to show the board, but can’t find any yet. I’m wondering if there’s any internal trim pots?

For now, maybe trim the gain of the left channel going back in a touch more or turn the right side down a little? Can you try the USB side of things? Interesting to see if this in an input or output issue and/or where in the signal path it’s happening. Doing a combination of just USB or analog in to USB out might help to show it?

1 Like

Dear Elektronauts.

I have an issue with my Heat.
I’ve checked the forum, nothing similar, except somebody’s having trouble with a panning Round FUZZ when used in a certain way.

So my thing is, it doesn’t matter what I plug in to the Heats inputs, the Left Channel Input-Indicator/Output is more quite then the right one. I’ve done some test, going from the RYTM, no panning straight into the Heat, Left is more quite, on the Rytm I had to Pan hard left to get it even.
Even if I change the TS-Cables L/R to the opposit Input, no sucsess, it remains the same, Left is more quite.
I worry because I think it must have something to do with the unit itself. As well with overbridge on the Graphics, there is less power on the Left Channel.
I made sure I did not use the Filter panning, that is centered.

Do you guys have an Idea what is going on there?
Thank you very much for your efforts.
I hope some of you guys are having fun times at NAMM.
Regards

Anybody resolved this problem?
Any answering from Elektron?
I also noticed that recently…how you correct it?
Thanks

Also noticed this ;(

1 Like

Oops sorry for delay, I haven’t checked messages in ages.

So after messaging support, turns out my L/R levels problem was a hardware issue, which apparently affected some batches of Heats.

The unit was sent back to Electron for repair, and a few weeks later, I received a new one!

3 Likes

Interestingly (probably unrelated, but similar situation), I picked up an out-of-warranty secondhand Octatrack and noticed the master outputs also had L/R volume differences + also some degradation of sound, muddy and slight clipping even at very very low volume.

Was advised it might be oxidation of the outputs, so I opened it up and gave the main ports a good clean with contact cleaner spray and some cotton buds. It fixed the problem. Not completely, but say 95%… which is still ok as it was bought for gigs and I expect it to get bashed up a bit anyway.

2 Likes

Have noticed this issue as well.
Would like to know which batch or perhaps I just take it back. I have a Mk2 Heat. Levels in the right are 1-3 db lower depending on algo or how hard you drive it. Does not matter if via cables or over bridge.

1 Like

Same here - every machine I have ARmk2, DN, OTmk2 seems to put out a hotter right than left signal. The mixer measures it as well - even before reaching the heat, so I have to pan the signal slightly to the left. Is it a bad luck that I have like 3 different faulty units or is the problem somewhere else?

2 Likes

double checked - it’s just a mixer issue

7 Likes

Does anybody resolved this problem? I am having the same issue! @elektronauts ?

1 Like

There is a function on the heat that changes the output of L/R a little. Not sure what its name is anymore, but maybe you have that engaged? Is it also happening when you initialize the Heat?

Hi all.
I received a MK2 and notice this issue.
I have a 1 db uneven level on some effect and more especially on the enhancer when the effect is engage.
It could be more prononce, like 3 db when I active the bell filter.
I notice that is cause unequal level under 200 Hz.
I think it’s not a major issue and it’s due to the analog components of the distortion circuits.
Best way to correct it is to apply and imager after the AH and reduce the stereo image of the bass section. You can use you default DAW utility plugin or Waves Vitamin, Ozone imager …

I just checked all my takes from AHMkii, they seem OK. I did notice some earlier ones were skewed but looking the present I used then, looks like I had the filter FRQPAN on. Just worth checking…

3 Likes

Hi, I noticed this too, mainly round fuzz which to me is perhaps acceptable becuase its a very unstable circuit but then i notice the same problem with the enhancement circuit which is obviously lower gain. I get about a 1 db difference between l+r which makes a really noticable panning effect. This is really annoying because i’d like to use this circuit for bus processing but 1 db is quite a lot. its not just the panning either, i think one channel is also driven harder than the other. Is this a fault or an acceptable effect?

Check the FRQPAN setting.

thanks, its at zero/centre, its like that with the filter disengaged tho anyway

I noticed the same thing today. I reduced input sensitivity which helped however drums didn’t sound as good! I’m ruining a Modor DR2 into it.

1 Like