Advice for playing small shows in Europe?

Hello,
So I’m an American traveling to Europe this summer with zero itinerary/plans (Netherlands, France, and Germany so far) and I wanted to take my digitakt with me as I’ve been writing a lot of compositions strictly with just that.
I would say it’s like a blend of acid house/minimal techno/experimental just to give an idea. I can post a link but I wasn’t sure if that was allowed in this forum. I can speak French so I might spend a lot of time there.
Anyway, this may be a stretch but if anyone knows of any places to play or has any advice I’d love to get an idea of how to approach this. I’d also love to hear any of your personal experiences if you have done something like this.

In my experience, most places book out way in advance, like almost half a year or a year in advance. Other than that, I’d say meet people and jump on opportunities as they present themselves. Also, knowing someone there is probably the best thing you could do.

1 Like

filter your soundcloud or bandcamp. have only finished projects, songs etc. make some business cards with your name, email and links in a clear manner and hand them out to small bars. ask around, be friendly but not pushy. i went to berlin a couple years ago and found places to play at least once a week.

2 Likes

Delete please

1 Like

I agree. Also don’t be worried if not too much happens until toward the end of your trip. Maybe you’ll spend time hooking things up toward the later stages. And also look forward to a second trip. Sometimes the first one is all about making acquaintances. I stayed in Amsterdam and Utrecht for a while and there a lot of little venues doing things if you can search them out. Some may have sort of open mic style things or jam nights which can be a great way to meet people. Also just go to a tonne of gigs. Also a funny thing I do sometimes is go to music universities and look at the notice boards to see what’s happening in town

2 Likes

Utrecht highly recommended. Amsterdam is of course more international and also worth some time to stay. This brings me back to the thread where I proposed to get elektronauts together. Maybe keep people informed where you are in real time in the summer. The locals can get back to you and try to find something together with you. So… If you are close to the “Ruhrgebiet” or Cologne let me know… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, in Utrecht you have ACU (among others). They often have independent/experimental musicians from abroad. If you want some help in/around Utrecht just send me a message ^^

1 Like

Does that apply to others as well? :wink:

1 Like

Sure! glad to help you out if i can

1 Like

Cool, will visit Utrecht in the summer with a friend and some machines to jam in the surrounding nature. I will definitely get in touch with you.

1 Like

I recommend watching rammstein videos on YouTube for european style gig tips. I advise some kind of fire resistant gel

D3EFB565-ED4C-41F0-8F38-3CC8D55B827183F3A4CB-352A-41B1-BF98-E691F6B46002

2 Likes

Thanks! I will drop by Utrecht for sure then and let you know when I plan on doing so, I would love to get together with other musicians

1 Like