About prices differences and VAT

One thing that still baffles me is why $759 and €779 when the Euro is much stronger than the Dollar? €779 is equal to $965. In sterling the same £699 is $980. How come we paying more in Europe? Anyone aware of why such a big discrepancy?

3 Likes

There’s this thing called “Value Added Tax”…

4 Likes

Ok, so USD prices don’t reflect VAT while the Eur and Sterling do?

We get screwed in Oz as well.
It’s always cheaper to buy from overseas for us aussies

3 Likes

That’s a bingo

1 Like

Gday mate

940189C8-61F5-46D0-8EBA-F924D8D3A08C

3 Likes

so VAT = $200 ?

In EU, VAT is around 20%.

Grabbed it for 620 euros VAT free.

2 Likes

Where did you find it at 620?

On elektron.se ! If you have a valid VAT account, you can buy VAT free.

1 Like

Ah. That would be 660 by my calc in the UK.

Thomann has best I can find at 647 euros with valid UK VAT exemption.

Did you order form outside of Sweden? Swedish VAT is 25%. 25% of 779 euro is 195.75 and 779 minus 195.75 is 583.25. Nice discount if you’re in Sweden :sunglasses:

VAT here is 21%.

Ordered from France.

your calculation is wrong. Vat is addional to the manufacturer price, the manufacturer price is 100 % and from that you add 25 %. you have to devide 779 device by 1.25 which is 623,20 euros ( the manufacturer price) . 25 % are the 155,80 Euro.

1 Like

VAT is 20%.

1 Like

germany has 19 and spain 21 % VAT

VAT rates vary across EU countries. It’s added at the rate in the source country.

$ prices exclude tax which varies from state to state, so when you go to america and buy a bottle of water for example the price excludes the sales tax/vat as we know it in the uk. So if a bottle of water in usa is £1.00 on the shelf it is £1.20 at the til/check out based on uk vat.

So if you imported a Digitone at $ price the courier will charge you uk vat on top of the $ price plus a handling fee. And the online price is minus state tax which is usually around 11.75%

So the difference is negligable when you add this in.

The prices are similar there is just a bit of boring maths involved to work out the difference. I know that based on 22 years marriage to an accountant and having to help her out after having to retire fro my job…

Can i also add maths is not a typo it’s how it’s pronounced so if you’re going to steal out language america, use it properly :smile:

3 Likes