Ableton live 10

That’s where I’m at. There’s certainly features I wish were there that aren’t, but between the Push updates, new synth and some of the smaller stuff, I think it’s worth it. I realize it’s completely different, but the new synth will keep me happy and not GAS’ing over the Digitone for a while. Elektron needs to come through with the Digitakt Overbridge update and I’ll be good for a bit. Already buying some new outboard gear soon.

Edit: I should add I got both Live Suite 9 and Push 2 when they were on sale as a combo for a really good price. Had I paid full retail I might feel different.

2 Likes

Does anyone know if the upgrade price I’m currently eligible for, is going to be the same after the release ?
I can upgrade from Live Suite 9 to Ableton suite 10 for 200$ but I’m note sure I want to do it right away.

It’s 20% off the upgrade until 6 Feb so no, price will be changing shortly.

4 Likes

I’m a long time owner of Live 9. I think the 20% discount only applies to new Live 9 buyers, right ?

1 Like

No, you get 20% off of the regular upgrade price, too. It’s €199,- now and will be €249,- soon.

3 Likes

Yesterday, forced myself to use Push 2 after a break. Still I tend to revert to mouse and desktop a bit too often - why I’m having the Push hardware, again? Drum bus and echo are actually great additions. Some tweaks for the actual software as well - especially one little thing: naming your input channels!

1 Like

I cannot for the life of me fathom WHY THE F*CK they will not add the “Fold Notes” feature on Push’s step sequencer when they have it on Live and should be totally doable…

So maybe in Live 11 we’ll get naming for MIDI channels too… :neutral_face:

1 Like

I love Live 10 it’s so much better for recording automation in then version 9, made a full track yesterday in no time at all by playing the session view clips into the arrangement with Push 2 and Launch Control. It was the most fun I’ve had making music in years! Felt almost like I was jamming on hardware though this one was all ITB.

6 Likes

Just ordered the L10 upgrade, I find the upgrade quite costly and would like to see cheaper prices for longterm-users, but the next discount will be maybe in summer? Don´t know, but it´s too long to wait for me.
Since I bought L2 I skipped some chargeable upgrades, but L10 feels mature and complete to me.
What I really liked about L9 is that it lasted from 2013 so 5 years, cause I hate when musicsoftware companies charge for even small updates evrery year (ableton did this too in the early years). Think L10 will have a similar life cycle as L9 with some nice free updates…

3 Likes

I’m thinking about re-ordering the Live 10 Update after having cancelled my pre-order.

I’m also considering getting BitWig instead.

Does anybody that would post in this thread have any measure of one update vs the other?

Edit: I’m most missing the drum bus, and capture. Also the new M4L devices- like: envelope, look cool.

I don’t know what’s up with Bitwig though-perhaps it will be more inspirational to me to work on.

@Ryan

Well ultimately only you can tell which one is for you, have you tested both applications?

I would be interested in Bitwig if I wasn’t as happy with Live 10 as I am…

1 Like

I’ll probably dl the bitwig demo tonight and give it a test

1 Like

i’ve been test driving bitwig for the last few days and i really like it.

i rarely used the session view in Live, and so, i like the emphasis on the arrange view using bitwig. it’s also new and Live has been my daw for over a decade, so the overall novelty of bitwig is a joy.

let me know if you have any questions about bitwig.

If your at all into controllers with Mpe, poly aftertouch or whatever I would try Bitwig. It’s the reason i’m considering switching at least. Been using Live since 2006 though so it’s a bot hard to make the leap.

Yeah- I’ve heard about MPE but haven’t tried it. That’s like those Roli seaboard things, right?

I might have to invest into that as I’m dabbling with similar things with certain ipad app keyboards.

1 Like

Yeah- I’m watching a video on it now. Everything being on one screen looks really really good and the interactivity between session and arrangement looks ideal!

2 Likes

Here’s a good list of MPE compatible softsynths.

http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/ls-recommended-sounds.html

5 Likes

Alright- cool, I just checked on their page. If Ableton 10 comes out tomorrow, I’ve got until about the 20th to determine if I’m going to pay to upgrade Ableton or if I’m going to use that money to switch over to Bitwig.

And it looks like the P2 can work for controlling Bitwig- so that could be cool!

Ditto, I’m a lil’ unsure how the subscription to updates is going to work out for them.

I just purchased a license from someone w/ 11 months of updates for $180 USD. Hopefully they’ll be releasing a lot of updates between now and then.

As for Live, I plan on holding onto that to open old projects and eventually get a monome grid again for plaing Live using the M4L device, re:mix.

But for now, I really prefer the way Bitwig deals with arranging/editing audio over Live.

Yeah- that’s what I’m thinking.

The way I figure it, you’re only paying for what you want- I presume you could hold off on paying for upgrades with Bitwig- fall behind the current and reup your 12 months of upgrades whenever you see an upgrade that actually appeals to you. It could be after 18 months, it could be 2 years.

I don’t know what Ableton’s going to include in Live 10. But after playing around with the Beta, I’m not impressed.

I’ll probably redo my Pre-Order. From what I’m reading I’ve got until 02/20 to partake in the special offer or to return it.

If I have to make a decision, I might as well have both programs to make a decision

1 Like