Ableton live 10

New wavetable synth looks and sounds awesome.
Lots of Serum influences

4 Likes

Ableton team should focus on workflow enhancement and effects. Thatā€™s what a DAW should mostly provide. I would prefer if they cut the price and stop giving us new instruments, which people donā€™t really need.

I mean wavetable synths have been around for a while with Massive and Serum.

Users have been asking for major improvements in the mixing workflow, arrangement view (comps), and the piano roll. I donā€™t know why they waste their time on a new wavetable synth. What have theyā€™ve been doing these past 5 years ?

2 Likes

Every daw has pros and cons.
Havenā€™t tried Live 10 yet, donā€™t feel the need just yet as happy with live 9 suite.
Serum cost nearly $200 and the wavetable synth looks similar so pretty sweet add on I reckon. If I didnā€™t have Serum I would be pretty keen to upgrade to Live 10 for this synth alone.

1 Like

Thatā€™s funny, I had a Push 1 and never really vibed with it. Felt like a slow and awkward layer of abstraction. Great for drum racks but for the rest Iā€™m probably just too used to keyboard and mouse.

3 Likes

To tell the truth I still need a keyboard for much of the time and thatā€™s where my KK49 MK2 comes in. But I really do find it a blast with push on one side and a keyboard on the other. And Iā€™ve had countless fun sessions with mates far less clued up on computer music playing ā€œpass the pushā€ building up songs a bit at a time.

If NI builds a Bitwig template that replicates the features they have with KK and Live then that may turn my head enough though.

My ideal controller would be a MPE push. Itā€™s the big thing Bitwig has over Live for me. You could also actually replicate multiple track fader action on that sort of surface too (for example).

same hereā€¦ never really flowed. maybe its different with push 2 as its easier to see whats going on . only thing i liked is the p_lock feature for drums. almost like on a elektron box. but i always found some new problems and missing features every time i tried to use it.

2 Likes

This is the thing about Elektron machines - the actual physical buttons - while in some ways they actually feel cheap, the plasticky type feel is quite disconcerting the first time you touch them, but then it all makes a world of sense. You donā€™t ā€˜pressā€™ Elektron buttons so much as you tap them, itā€™s an amazing balance between something like a touch screen and a physical button. The buttons on Push you very much have to press, and I know it sounds like a small thing, but itā€™s that really light-to-the-touch tactility Elektron employ that I think actually really speeds things up. You tap around. But with Push - aside from the pads, everything is a press as far as navigation is concerned. I think if Ableton can try and embrace this tap-style interactivity, not neccesarily the same plastic button consistency as Elektron, but maybe making slightly raised touch capacitive buttons for Push, I would rekn it would take the device an insane ways further for speeding up its workflow.

6 Likes

Good point. Its a some kind of a sexual/fetish thing I guess. I never thought I would ever get an Octatrack and make music on this not to mention Midi sequencing as I was devoted to Logic and plug ins. But I have to say, that its quite an opposite. The physical touch is very important and I agree - with Push, you have to press those buttons hard and for me it looses the flow and the instance of creativity you get with Elektron. Push is more what PC is to Mac users. I canceled my Live 10 upgrade and like the workflow with my Elektron pieces. On the other hand, more complex and less loopy compositions - for that the Logic/Live is much more suitable. To be able to see 6min composition in a graphic way is a must.

4 Likes

I just tried recording midi using my continuum and it is indeed a pain for any MPE device. I guess theyā€™re market does not contemplate people using MPE devicesā€¦

Well MPE just received itā€™s ā€œofficial specificationā€ (whatever that actually means) so this could result in Ableton now feeling able to implement properly. Wouldnā€™t hold your breath though. NI need to get their finger out on it too.

2 Likes

It would be nice if aftertouch came to Maschine but thatā€™s neither here nor there.

I canā€™t wait for MPE in Kontakt though.
I think there are some Reaktor 6 utilities I can use to get my linnstrument running.

2 Likes

Yeah MPE users is really a Niche, therefore I donā€™t understand ā€¦ Everything that advances technologically on the playability, the feeling should be carried loud and clear by all ā€¦

I hope things evolve the good way on MPEā€¦ :thup: itā€™s so nice !

1 Like

@J0n35y I installed the public beta early last week and itā€™s been smooth sailing the entire time.

@nfim , I didnā€™t really like Push 1 all that much, Push 2 is kind of a different beast though. The screen update and pad changes alone made it feel much better.

@HotLoveDrama The Ableton 10 update feels like they are focusing on the workflow. Nested groups, labelled IO, Multi Midi Clip Editing to name a few. Thereā€™s quite a bit in the release notes, I attached a PDF copy if anyone wantā€™s to review it.

Live 10.pdf (90.7 KB)

I should add that was the release notes posted 8 months ago. Since then there have been a stack of release notes with each new beta version (Iā€™m not sure if there is a comprehensive list yet). Signing up for the public beta is quick and easy, and the beta installs alongside the version installed on your system so if things were to break, you can just reopen your old version.

3 Likes

Itā€™s release 10. Itā€™s the release candidate probably so they want to make sure nothing crashes at the last minute. So far so good for me. I canā€™t wait for that sample library my suite is coming with.

2 Likes

Are there going to be extra features on the official release that werenā€™t included in the Beta? I just requested to cancel my pre-order today as, mainly, the new step sequencer didnā€™t work as well as I had hoped(tried to use the pads on push- I just canā€™t stand trying to find notes on that thing). The wavetable was cool, but not cool enough to keep. Echo was cool, but I donā€™t really see myself using it. Iā€™m just going to miss the drum bus and capture, really- and maybe the max update(though, I just donā€™t have the time in the foreseeable future to learn/use that)

Also- since Iā€™m buying the Digitone, I needed to limit my spending

1 Like

Did they already charge when the order was placed? Because I donā€™t feel comfortable spending $930 in so short a timeframe. It would be worth spending the ~$70 to wait until there is something that actually suits me as a means to curb superfluous spending.

Though, if Ableton wanted to sweeten the pot and offer the update for less than $230, Iā€™d certainly invest in it.

Otherwise- Iā€™ll wait and spend the money when I know the money will be well spent.

Eh- unless you can adapt the sequencer to work with a keyboard opposed to exclusively on the Push- Iā€™m not gonna risk cancelling afterwards(and I already put the DN on my credit card)

1 Like

I hypothesize that the new OB for the midi capable devices might eliminate any need for the Ableton Step Sequencer. 12 chord capable midi tracks+12 onboard sound files. Should be solid enough

You can cancel the pre-order, just email them itā€™s no problems

3 Likes

Just upgraded from 9 suite to 10 suite.
Thought I would take advantage of current 20% off deal before the official release on the 6th.
Have Push 2 also, and new features look pretty cool

3 Likes