Abelton Live 8 for DT/DN?

So, I have the Digitakt and the Digitone, and I just got a computer after well over a decade of not having one. The last time i was computer literate i was running MSDos on a computer that maybe had a 350 meg hard drive. I feel like i am walking on the moon over here and its awesome. My question is: I have an iMac from 2014 with 8 gigs of Ram, and i have access to abelton live 8 for free (its legit, not pirated) but before i dive into all that business…
Is anybody out there running that version? does it jive well with the DT/DN? Id rather not buy the newest version if i can avoid it…
looking forward to getting started one way or the other, but just checking to see how it ran for people.
thank you!

Live 8 is good. Don’t have DT or DN but the effects and looping abilities you have in live 8 standard will get you into some trouble. I don’t sync with live 8 I just record audio loops and warp away. The compressor and EQ8 can get the job done for you.

If it helps I have Live 10 and it doesnt sync perfectly either. I always have to adjust and move the recording closer to the downbeat just a bit.

I would just try 8 since you have it anyways and upgrade if you need to later, dont see a problem though, its just a matter of sending clock info and that has been around way before live 8.

2 Likes

The main thing is get the audio there with the warp markers setup. I try to limit my loops to 4 bars or less so it’s easier to time stretch. Once you have the warp markers setup correctly for each audio track loop you can get a good session going. It’s nice to have something you originally made as 92 BPM boom bap turn into something pop like at 110 and then garage / two step at 128 all because you had your warp markers setup correctly.

umm…woah…
that sounds cool, but I’m still learning how to walk. lets get more into this once I’ve fallen on my face a few times.
thank you for your response

1 Like

Just play with 8 for a while. The main thing you probably will want is to press play on ableton and have it play at the same tempo on the DT/DN and it does do that.
Another setup would be to do the opposite and press play on the DT/DN and Ableton starts at same tempo which can also be done.

1 Like

i should have clarified my intent with Abelton… Im really just looking for a good way to record, and mix shit. My idea is to pencil out my progressions in the DAW, and record it nicely, but play it live on the machines. That is to suppose i ever play it live…the only way I’ve ever, EVER, felt comfortable performing live was behind a drum set. This is more about just recording my business, and editing my business so that i can show you all my business…
Currently i have the Elektrons running into a mixer and running an IPhone with a Blue Mikey attached into headphone splitter in the headphones out, recording with the Voice Memo app on the IPhone. it works, but its really touch and go…
thanks for the responses

Yeah you can do all of that with Live 8.

-Sketch out and record a full loop and different sections then transfer them to DT via USB.

-Sketch out patterns on DT/DN and sync tempo to Ableton then press record to have it in your DAW

If you want to send your DAW loops to DT then you will want to make sure the tempo and loop is edited correctly since there is no Timestretch, but all of that is possible with 8 as well with most other Live versions.