A4MK1 vs A4MK2 - worth it?

For those of us that have made the move from MK1 to MK2, in hindsight, was it worth it? Why (not)? Mind you, I’m not looking for absolute truth, but honest opinions.

I had an MK1 for quite a while but never really gelled with it. I dabbled with the presets, but to be honest, I find they don’t do a good job of showcasing what the synth is capable of. When MK2 was announced I still jumped on it and let the MK1 go. MK2 cost me a whopping €600,- on top of what I got for the MK1. Still I have no regrets, because for whatever reason I find the MK2 UI so much more inviting that now I spend most evenings designing at least one patch. Maybe I’ve gained a better understanding of subtractive synthesis, maybe the expense has made me realize I need to put in more effort. Long story short, even though it doesn’t sound all that different I’m happy with my purchase.

I’ve posted this a few times now:

I bought an MK1 for £750 new in October. I heard a fair few comments (such as yours) which made me feel like I’d made a mistake, so I bought an MK2 for around £1300. I figured I would try out both and see which one I liked the best.

After a week of testing them side by side, the MK2 went back. I thought it was great, but I REALLY couldn’t justify spending an extra £550 on what essentially amounts to a fresh coat of paint. Don’t get me wrong, it felt better to play, just not half-a-grand better. I didn’t notice any significant difference in sound through my KRKs, except when using the overdrive. I definitely wouldn’t say there is a HUGE difference in sound, it’s very subtle to the point where you would never tell once it’s been sloshed with effects in the mix.

My verdict? If you have the extra cash to spend, the MK2 is the better product. The interface is better and the new Overbridge features should be great when they come out. Personally, I wouldn’t sell a perfectly good MK1 for one - especially when the difference in cost almost pays for a Digitone. :wink:

Keep in mind that I’m 23 and don’t have a great deal of disposable income. If your financial situation is different to mine, you might think that the tweaked hardware is more inspiring and therefore worth the extra dosh. It’s all subjective.

6 Likes

is there not lots more sweet spot in the new filter on the mk2?

I never had them side by side. I honestly can’t say.

With my ears (and relatively cheap monitors) I couldn’t really hear a massive difference. Definitely subtle changes, but not enough to distinctly say it was ‘better’. The new encoders feel much nicer to filter sweep with, though.

1 Like

There is a thread exploring opinions on sound differences …

I think i would be able to make a full comments on that when i have tried the next OB version… But for now my answers would be 70% consistent as i do think if USB speed is improved on every channel at 24bits ins and outs… with a better sync than OB 1.15.0 it must count in the upgrade worth it or not question.

2 Likes