A4 parameters translation for synth cookbook

ok… i did a bunch of work using the “calibration” section of welsh’s cookbook.

i wanted to find out what filter frequencies correlates to a4 settings…decay, attack and release times and LFO frequency

i don’t know if this has been done.

i think i did a pretty good job with everything except attack times (nature of measuring attack is HARD…because its starting silent pretty much…i think maybe .5 has to be subtracted from all the times) and I could definitely take the LFO frequencies further up… i’m just tired. lol

but here it is…

again i think everything is really close ballpark figures.

i self oscillated the filter and moved the cutoff around and recorded the various pitches in melodyne :slight_smile:

release, decay and LFO rate was pretty easy and scientifically done

anyways…i hope it helps anyone…

sorry its not so neat

peace

1 Like

Hey this is nice useful info! Thanks for doing this, Copied it into my A4 doc folder for reference.

This looks handy, nice one. Been meaning to try these book!! Is it worth getting both volumes?

Cheers.

thanks for sharing, but the LFO rate is tempo synced so Hz is pretty meaningless without reference to tempo (for the same rate the values at different multipliers should be double/half and so on)

void and i had a poke around the envelope numbers a while back, these are obv not tempo related

the keytrack affects the filter frequency, so it’d have to have been off in the test, but if it’s set at 32 it will follow key track and osc tuning, then you just need to tune the filter to the osc, something like 52 (from memory) gets you in the region, also discussed somewhere on the forum

@playrecords i’m pretty much a noob and the books have me understanding the basics and i feel like i can make a solid patch. the book was like practice but you could get the same thing from just backwards programming the presets i suppose…

@avantronica thanks for the LFO correction…didnt know that about it being tempo synced. i just followed the directions of what welsh gave in the book. and the reason i gave the filter numbers and so forth was for the recipes in the book that call for the frequency number. yes key tracking was off. i thought the cutoff numbers were useful info to know anyway

peace

Also I believe, that some parameters do have higher resolution than the numbers that can be seen in the display.

The most obvious example would be LFO depth, between (0) and 1 you can actually hear the modulation kick in softly when e.g. modulating OSC pitch.

I think it can also be observed, when twisting the encoders there’s this little animation on the knob graphic in the display. So the animation does occur and the value doesn’t change I’d assume in the background the finer resolution is in effect.

I’m not sure which precise parameters are being affected by this…

Yep, Quite a few parameters are 14bit (as opposed to the 7bit values most easily read from screen), mainly depths and filter /osc freqs (listed in manual), it’s easy to see on a midi monitor, the graphics are quite helpful, but precise readout options would b nice :+1: