A4 + OB + External Midi Keyboard (Rec notes on A4)

Hi all !

i’ve a little problem by using this setup .

I’ve several midi tracks like this:

• Midi track with OB Vsti

• Track 1 in ableton: External instrument device, midi to A4 track1, audio from A4 track1.

• Track 2 in ableton: External instrument device, midi to A4 track2, audio from A4 track2.

etc…

But when i play a track with an external midi keyboard, the sound is ok from the armed track in ableton, but if i want to record in the A4 sequencer, nothing is recorded; I can just play note or record a midi clip in ableton but impossible to record the notes played in the A4 sequencer.

Does anyone know how can i do ?

in A4 , there is an option called receive notes… check if this is on… also midi channels need to be set accordingly… midi channel 1 out of ableton into channel 1 in your A4

Thx for your reply !

The strange thing is that i’ve tried yesterday to use the A4 without OB.
Just set a midi track with a External Instrument: midi to A4 (channel 9 auto channel). In this case, the A4 can record the incoming notes but not when using OB…

Hi Mainro, I have the same issue than you.
I try to record the notes send by the A4 VST in the A4 sequencer but still without success.
On your side did you succeed to make it? If yes, how?
Thanks.

I have everything set right. Midi channels receiving input from external keyboard from live. On the AK it’s set to receive notes. But no luck recording on either grid or live recording modes. It plays all incoming midi but doesn’t record it. Am i forgetting something?

I’ve tried the same with AR and it doesn’t record incoming midi either…

Edit: Whenever you send midi using the Elektron midi interface… the one that states (Elektron Midi) it will record. If you send it through the midi channels that only have the name of the machine…meaning the ones OB shows it will play but not record… hope this helps… @atomictag has it figured out this way apparently :slight_smile:

That’s how you do it also with OB, i.e. 4 MIDI tracks sending MIDI to A4 Track 1, 2, 3, 4 and another MIDI track sending MIDI to the Auto channel (9 by default) for live recording (“Track” must be set to ON in Live Preferences for the Analog Four MIDI interface input).

I usually setup an instrument rack in a MIDI track with 2 chains - one with the A4 VST and another with an external instrument configured to send MIDI to the Auto channel via External Instrument. Then change the “key” zone of the rack so that only the chain with the external instrument receives MIDI from Live. This way the A4 VST MIDI track doubles as “Overbridge control” and “Live recording” track. As a bonus, this method allows you to preview sounds for the track selected on the A4 in realtime (try double clicking on the active track to open the sound browser and send MIDI to the auto channel with this method).

I think it would be nice if by default the OB VST plugin sent MIDI to the auto-channel instead of Track 1 (as it is now) - which would make things simpler and clearer. Maybe something for a feature request?

1 Like

Ah, you can also changing patterns by sending MIDI to OB on Track 16. See this post here esp. @CarlMikaelBjork really cool video

1 Like

Hi !

i have tried it before and it works

you have to set receive note checked √ on port config then

1. You need to set on LIVE REC mode (REC+PLAY)
  2. after 4 counts, push the PLAY button on midi track in the ableton which suites on the track you want to record, (so you’re like doing live record from ableton to a4)
  3. it is only 1 bar , so you need to repeat that step again for another pattern.

hope you enjoy!

Cheers