A4 mkii vs Prophet 6 Desktop

Oh, right. Get the prophet 6!!! My god it sounds lovely, and you can just sample it anyway with the OT, and then sequence it live! :)))))))

3 Likes

I just messed around with a prophet 6 a couple days ago for an hour. wonderful instrument, that.

1 Like

As much as I love these two synths I would say: trust your ears. Your personal taste should definitely play the biggest part in the decision (apart from knowing the technicalities like “this one has a sequencer”, etc.).

2 Likes

Can’t speak for the A4mkii, but I had an AK for a hot minute, and then I got a P6. AK was sold the next week. A4mkii may be multitimbral, but the two fewer voices kinda puts a damper on that. 4 monosynths in a box? I’m good. Unless you are using it for drum patches. I mean A4 is a cool machine. But if you already have an Octa, and are considering moving into high end analog, don’t mess around with a middle class synth. just do it. P6.

1 Like

I’ve had both A4mkI and A4mkII. I traded the A4mkII towards a P6 desktop and am very happy with the decision. The P6 has so much body/presence… so much better as a poly synth than the A4.

But I think the A4 still wins for mono sounds and in-the-box modulation/programming potential.

3 Likes

I agree with a lot of the assessments here, but just as a curveball, be sure to listen to all of the examples in the A4 Warm Pads/Chords thread. Amazing reminder of the power of the A4’s synth engine:

2 Likes

I am deeply grateful for your reply.
If P6 is sampled by OT
Does not sound quality deteriorate?
Is not it better to play a live sound on P6 in terms of sound quality?

Anyone who answered my question
I express my deepest gratitude.
The people here are kind and smart.
Thank you.

I bought OT mkii for the purpose
I want to transmit MIDI signals to my synths and play them automatically.
Therefore, the purpose of purchasing a desktop synthesizer rather than a keyboard synthesizer
It is.

I am designing such a band.

5 Likes

If you don’t modulate a “live” sound in any way why should a high quality sample sound differently? (44,1kHz/24bit should be enough for almost any human ear).

2 Likes

Thank you.
I fully agree with your opinion.
I got a lot. :grin:

If possible its always best to play and hear an instrument live rather than sampling.
As long as you don’t timestretch or pitchshift the sample in OT it should still sound ok

Sound quality depends on the recording, playback, and processing quality of the equipment. Be it analogue or digital. We can create unwanted clipping or damaging the sound with both technologies.

I agree with @tnussb that 44,1 kHz at 24 bit should preserve enough sound qualitiy of a P6 or another high quality synth. But the recording settings and the sound treatment have to be appropriate to do the job. There is a bit of recording/mixing craft to be applied.

There will often be differences between programming a sequence and playing live.

A keyboard with velocity, after-touch, mod-wheel, and an optional expression pedal would be played very differently by different persons. This would influence the sound too. If you want to catch such a performance with a sequencer, the OT would not support this, because it is a step sequencer. For such a performance a “linear sequencer” with more then 160 ppqn would be needed, to record that particular human feeling too.

However, often a techno-like style having it’s own sound character would be hard to be played in real time by a musician. Particularly the OT provides so many p-lock opportunities, which a single person could not control in a live situation. This also would influence the overall sound.

1 Like

Love that song and sound … maybe it’s my age and loving progressive rock ever since :wink:

There is a great gnarly bass-mid sound, which gives the track a special spirit and drive. If you want to have such sound in your band, I would say that this could be out of range of a Dave Smith synth. Since the gnarlyness appears to be very melodic, but not harsh, I guess it could have been created by the Voyager, which the guy in the white t-shirt is playing.

That’s a very good point!
Maybe it should be mentioned that the OT dos not record the correct note length. A DAW is actually better for recording the MIDI information.

Keep in mind, that A4 sound is weak and not that beast-mooglish style. So here is a big dilemma, or have many options for live playing and not juicy sound or have less options but normal analog-mooglish-powerfull sound. Heh…

It’s true that the A4 does not sound like a Moog … and why should it … it was never supposed to do it. To call it weak … well … there are some interesting threads here going into detail. But a P6 would also not sound like a Moog, wouldn’t it?.

Yes, the A4 can sound ‘rich’ poly, but you have to work for it. The P6 sounds ‘rich’ or ‘thick’ the moment you turn it on, and it maintains the ‘body’ of its sound over the majority of the keyboard range, where I find the A4 gets thinner in the bass (for poly sounds, that is)

Another bonus for the P6 is the trigger input which can be used to step through the sequence. Not sound related, but a really great feature.

2 Likes

I sample my P6 all the time, once I find a patch/loop/sound I want to lock into a track. That way I can use it for another sound! Of course you lose a little ‘something’ when sampling it, but in the end, in a full mix, it’s hard to tell.

Ok, fine.
Players wearing white shirts actually use Moog Voyager.
I do not expect a sound like the Voyager from the P6.
The P6 is a grand and giant pad sound. (Ambient)
On the other hand, the A4 sounded very weak, unlike what I thought.
Thanks for the advice.