A4 cv/gate controling Monotribe

Hi Forum!

i Want to cv/gate control my monotribe from my A4. ive been reading a little about what cables to use n such.

what i wonder is if someone knows if this cable works?
http://www.kjell.com/sortiment/ljud-bild/kablar-adaptrar/rca-video/rca-till-3-5-mm/videokablage-till-kamera-p37283

if not if someone could point me in the direction of one that does work?

Thanks in advance!

That cable could be modded or adapted. Darenager has a uk based monotribe mods site and has made breakout boxes if you can’t solder your own.

thanks for the reply!

by adapted you mean two rca to mono plugs?

Yes, adapters would be needed if you can’t do modifications. However, if you are going into A4 only, you’d need further adapters ! Cabling the two active signals into a 3-pole 1/4" jack would be most direct but least flexible

alright! but the cable in the link in my first post is a 4 pole.

maybe i will just buy it and try it!

Maybe this one?

The first one is right too. You need a 4pole 1/8" to 3pole 1/4" ultimately. You could do this by using adaptors or by soldering a TRS1/4" onto the right wires. There are no cables like this without adaptors or soldering. If you have other CV equipment your best off to wire up to 1/8" mono to retain flexibility, just like those shown in first and second elektronauts links

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Korg-Monotribe-Elektron-Analog-Four-Keys-CV-Gate-cable-/301568084559?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4636dbca4f

Thanks for The fast reply! Ok i think i get it now, does it matter If The adaptors are mono or stereo?

^Not really, it won’t help, but the electrons will find their way just fine. But the adapter at the A4 end goes from TRS/stereo 1/4’ to dual mono

you need to draw this out, by the time you buy all the adapters you could probably buy a soldering iron or a pre made solution as suggested above

So i bought a cable like the one in the first post. Should I just cut of the rca´s and solder all the cables into a dual mono trs 1/4"?

Now when i connect i only get the gate singal thru, only one note is tlaying. i just på rca to mono cables on the yellow and the white and put them into the a4.

Up!

You need to look at the monotribe 2.1 pdf to see which ring is unused
I think tip is , next ring isn’t and ring closest to ground is

The cable has three signals with a common ground
Two are needed and the earth from both should be connected to trs ground

If. You’d rather have tip as gate or ring as gate then you need to wire appropriately, depending on whether you wish to follow any protocol, but either will work as a4 can be configured

If the cable is three strands in a flat arrangement, it is likely that the central one is redundant

But you can test all connectors before cutting with an adaptor or easier still with a voltmeter

Even though this is a rather old thread, there’s probaply people coming from google or just looking for a cable that works.

I’ve recently ordered this cable from Amazon and solderd a TRS plug so I can plug it directly into my AK.
Thats the plug I bought
Good quality and easy to solder.

The cable itself is nothing special inside, but not bad actually and fairly long so any soldering mistakes can be corrected by cutting a little more off.

Since the seller still has it in stock, I thought I’d write a post about it.

For those of you, that don’t want to bother soldering, this cable should also work with rca to tr adapters.

The yellow rca plug goes to the tip and the white rca plug goes to the second ring.
In order for this to work with a Monotribe, you’d have to plug the yellow rca into gate out and the white rca into pitch cv out.

The cv setup on the Monotribe is straightforward, just hold the SN and Gate Time buttons while powering up, press step button 1 (led on) to engage cv/gate mode. Led off means sync mode is on.
Step button 2 is for v/oct (led off) or hz/v (led on), step button 3 changes gate from low to high.
Led off is v-trig.
Then you can calibrate the pitch, hold the play button and send a C4 until the play led goes off, then the same with C5.
Press rec button to save changes.

1 Like