A second new machine? [Analog Rytm launch, January 2014]

If you want the best sounding drum machine you have to go analog! It doesn’t mean it’s like a 808/909 that would be to limiting!

So what’s inside the 'beat’box…

How about analog/digital/hybrid sampling machine drum with velocity sensitive drumpads and step seq? Not sure a keyboard makes sense on a drum machine!? This would, of course, be a direct competitor to the Tempest, more than anything else out there…[/quote]
yeah… you’re right… they should come out w/a sampling analog machinedrum built into an accordion with licensed D-beam technology but only 2 outputs

How about analog/digital/hybrid sampling machine drum with velocity sensitive drumpads and step seq? Not sure a keyboard makes sense on a drum machine!? This would, of course, be a direct competitor to the Tempest, more than anything else out there…[/quote]
yeah… you’re right… they should come out w/a sampling analog machinedrum built into an accordion with licensed D-beam technology but only 2 outputs[/quote]
I always hear people dissing D-Beam. I’d never played a synth with it until this week when I got my V-Synth. I have to say I kinda like it. I don’t know why it’s always getting picked on :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Elektron said today on their facebook
“The Machinedrum should be back in stock next week.”

1 Like

Looking at the flashing of the LEDs in the vid, it seems to me that it’s making transient rather than sustained sounds. And the large number of different colours suggest perhaps quite a large number of different tracks. It looks like it has the standard size screen rather than the smaller A4 one. And of course the classic red chasing lights along the bottom.

I think it could be a different take on a drum machine. In the same way as A4 doesn’t ‘replace’ the MnM, so the new drum machine would be different enough in significant ways not to ‘replace’ the MD.

yeah… you’re right… they should come out w/a sampling analog machinedrum built into an accordion with licensed D-beam technology but only 2 outputs[/quote]
I always hear people dissing D-Beam. I’d never played a synth with it until this week when I got my V-Synth. I have to say I kinda like it. I don’t know why it’s always getting picked on :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: [/quote]
i think it’s gimmicky but perhaps it’s the best way ever to modulate filter cutoff w/o touching anything. it does make the user look infinitely cool… .wave hands around while making synth face. :wink: i’m not into any of that gestural stuff… for example i think the new gestural stuff in cubase is just idiotic nonsense and a waste of resource that should’ve been directed towards features that users actually want and bug fixes…
but i was obviously joking anyways… though accordions are deadly serious in some situations

I always hear people dissing D-Beam. I’d never played a synth with it until this week when I got my V-Synth. I have to say I kinda like it. I don’t know why it’s always getting picked on :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: [/quote]
i think it’s gimmicky but perhaps it’s the best way ever to modulate filter cutoff w/o touching anything. it does make the user look infinitely cool… .wave hands around while making synth face. :wink: i’m not into any of that gestural stuff… for example i think the new gestural stuff in cubase is just idiotic nonsense and a waste of resource that should’ve been directed towards features that users actually want and bug fixes…
but i was obviously joking anyways… though accordions are deadly serious in some situations[/quote]
D-Beam is really hard to recreate the same movements, you have to hold you arm out which is a torture technique in some countries, and there’s lag between moving and the controller values changing. In fact the V-Synth doesn’t have ANY great realtime controls. The XY pad I can never glide my finger tip smoothly over it. The mod stick is too firmly sprung, its an abs exercise machine. The plain old Moog mod wheel is great but the V-Synth controls are wow, bad.
You can tell I love my V-Synth, I can say these things because of the affection I have for it.
B

If you want the best sounding drum machine you have to go analog! It doesn’t mean it’s like a 808/909 that would be to limiting!

[/quote]
On what basis do you draw that conclusion ?
I wouldn’t call analog drums the pinnacle of all drum design.
What about FM based drum synthesis ?
Sampling ?
Sampling combined with synthesis ?
Physical Modelling ?
Digital Hybrid methods are all equally as feasible also.
I’d hardly put a lot of analog drum machines at the pinnacle of the beat making experience myself.
It is a pretty broad generalization to make.
I could list machines like the MPC3000, MPC60, Forat 9000 / LinnDrum / Roland R8, Yamaha RY30, Kawai XD5, Any 4 OP Yamaha FM Synth, Machinedrum, Sequential Studio 440, Emu Sampler, Akai Sampler, Tassman 4, Microtonic, Maschine and so on and so forth easily on par with any equivalent in the analog domain. Personally I don’t feel one is better than another, they all have applicable uses and inherent strengths and weaknesses.

1 Like

yup for sure. and the confidently digital Monomachine does some real nice frequency drums, in its own way.

as a delighted Machinedrum user, i would be only too happy if some kind of hybrid analog beast were to be offered as a further audio exploration device. would love that.

also mokomo’s mention of a granular mixer … that sounds like a pretty right on idea. sequencing fx, parameters, etc from a range of sources… what a magnificent instrument concept, music-making via mixing.

Now I want a FxKeys…FX unit with attached keyboard

How about analog/digital/biological super FX/mixer unit with velocity sensitive cupholders and a half-step seq? Not sure a keyboard makes sense on an FX machine!? This would, of course, be a direct competitor to the Hartmann Neuron, more than anything else out there…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrj6pkQloJM effects on keys work pretty nice:) specially in a box and no computer needed

[/quote]
Sampling ?
Physical Modelling ?
I’d hardly put a lot of analog drum machines at the pinnacle of the beat making experience myself.
I could list machines like the MPC3000, MPC60, Forat 9000 / LinnDrum / Roland R8, Yamaha RY30, Kawai XD5, Any 4 OP Yamaha FM Synth, Machinedrum, Sequential Studio 440, Emu Sampler, Akai Sampler, Tassman 4, Microtonic, Maschine and so on and so forth easily on par with any equivalent in the analog domain. Personally I don’t feel one is better than another, they all have applicable uses and inherent strengths and weaknesses.[/quote]
I meant ‘electronic’ drum sounds are sounding best with analog! The examples you give are already covered in the Machinedrum…

How about analog/digital/biological super FX/mixer unit with velocity sensitive cupholders and a half-step seq? Not sure a keyboard makes sense on an FX machine!? This would, of course, be a direct competitor to the Hartmann Neuron, more than anything else out there…[/quote]

man, you really made me laugh :joy:

Not sure if anyone has pushed this idea forward yet, but could it be a hardware sequencer?

Lets be honest, Each time Elektron have thrown their resources into a piece of gear it has been with both an instrument and a sequencer in mind - spreading their resources across both.

If they were to throw all their R+D into a sequencer it could be something quite awesome.

Admittedly, to all of us that already own Elektron boxes it might not be all that useful, but to all those people with high end sound modules an Elektron sequencer could be highly desirable for live performances.

Something similar to a Cirklon?

[/quote]
Sampling ?
Physical Modelling ?
I could list machines like the MPC3000, MPC60, Forat 9000 / LinnDrum / Roland R8, Yamaha RY30, Kawai XD5, Any 4 OP Yamaha FM Synth, Machinedrum, Sequential Studio 440, Emu Sampler, Akai Sampler, Tassman 4, Microtonic, Maschine and so on and so forth easily on par with any equivalent in the analog domain. Personally I don’t feel one is better than another, they all have applicable uses and inherent strengths and weaknesses.[/quote]
I meant ‘electronic’ drum sounds are sounding best with analog! The examples you give are already covered in the Machinedrum…[/quote]
No problems - I still the PM implementation in the MD is not as extensive as it could be - the flexibility for drum design in Tassman is excellent IMHO.
I’m not adverse to sampling custom kits from Microtonic into the OT either (another great sounding drum synth).
Granular synthesis can yield some interesting percussion noises also but I still prefer hybrid medium approaches and don’t know if there is a single do it all box that really covers all bases incredibly well.
Never had the opportunity of trying out a Tempest but I have a love hate relationship with the modern DSI sound myself - depending on the instrument.

1 Like

How about analog/digital/biological super FX/mixer unit with velocity sensitive cupholders and a half-step seq? Not sure a keyboard makes sense on an FX machine!? This would, of course, be a direct competitor to the Hartmann Neuron, more than anything else out there…[/quote]

man, you really made me laugh :joy: [/quote]
LOL yeah, I felt a little bit of deja-voodoo when I was typing up that reply! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

[/quote]
Sampling ?
Physical Modelling ?
Once I owned a Yamaha FS1-R and created what I call a once in a life time absolute hair dryer killer bass drum. That thing peeled the paint of the walls, never thought I could reproduce such a sound again. Lately, I sorta got the same vibe out of my Octatrack by using a 1 cycle wave, looped and trimmed with an appropriate dose of filtering, env’s and LFO’s. That’s digital stuff right?

1 Like

[/quote]
Sampling ?
Physical Modelling ?
I meant ‘electronic’ drum sounds are sounding best with analog! The examples you give are already covered in the Machinedrum…[/quote]
No problems - I still the PM implementation in the MD is not as extensive as it could be - the flexibility for drum design in Tassman is excellent IMHO.
I’m not adverse to sampling custom kits from Microtonic into the OT either (another great sounding drum synth).
Granular synthesis can yield some interesting percussion noises also but I still prefer hybrid medium approaches and don’t know if there is a single do it all box that really covers all bases incredibly well.
Never had the opportunity of trying out a Tempest but I have a love hate relationship with the modern DSI sound myself - depending on the instrument.[/quote]
I never heard about Tassman it seems to be a plug-in, thats boring for me! The things that I want with granular are to complex to put in a box. Just sample that for the OT.
What I wish is this:
http://www.cwejman.net/bld.htm
As engine for the analog machinedrum so you have Elektron paralock sequence control!

Tassman is Modular - stand alone or plug in that does both Analog and Physical Modelled Synthesis. The synthesis can be quite complex though as can the way the step sequencers operate within its environment.
It isn’t as classy to look at as Reaktor but it can sound damn impressive indeed and is one of the few applications with a firm focus on physical modelling synthesis.