4K Monitor Built-in Audio Output/USB Hub

Hi, I’m about to upgrade my desktop monitor with an LG Ultrafine (27UP850N) that has USB-C power delivery and headphone out. It has a USB hub built in too. Anyone with experience using this setup - audio quality and ability to use the monitor’s built-in hub to manage their other USB devices? In my case, an SSL UF1. I’m looking to simplify my desktop and with one cable from my notebook to the monitor is a tempting minimal setup… if it works.

I have a similar setup with a Gigabyte monitor with built in usb hub. It does occasionally drop connection from the PC , but I haven’t spent much time trying to diagnose or fix. The issue is more with a laptop’s connected via usb c than the pc which is connected via usb and display port. It is mainly a work or gaming setup.

Audio quality from the monitor is pretty naff. Using an external hub plugged into the monitors hub seems to work fine. I think they will also vary how much power they will have available via the hub, but power is more a how fast do you want a laptop to charge via usb c.

I reckon go for it. It probably won’t be perfect, but they are definitely a convenience adder.

2 Likes