16 Advanced Digitakt Ideas, Tips and Tricks (video)

my experience of using the LFOs on midi CCs directed toward audio track is that it explodes into glitchiness and freezing.

This is with midi clock send and receive disabled.

Loop - can you explain why you don’t get midi crashes doing this please? What are your settings.

I’d love to use the RK-002 cable to avoid crashes too - but the jury is out whether it can prevent crashing…

As I mention in the video I didn’t try out the RK-002 so I couldn’t say if there are issues with that or not. Yes - I made sure clock send/receive were disabled. When trying out the Bome script I had no freezes. With the LFOs there was some oddness that I couldn’t recreate - when I shut off all the non active CCs as I show in the video it didn’t recur - though that may not be it… I don’t know. MIDI loopback was done in the spirit of a fun “hack” not after testing all the possible use cases.

Needless to say the manual doesn’t say “plug the MIDI out into the MIDI in”… so if there’s something in your workflow that causes freezing - that I’m not doing - that might be it. I’m not saying you’re doing something bad or wrong BTW - it may be that you’re doing something that triggers a bug that causes a crash.

1 Like

Just remember to not tap double stop when you are midi looped.

Plenty of owl drawing tutorials out there already though, not too much on how owls fly and hunt and such… Imnsho

Hey - that’s a good comment - I didn’t notice that - thanks! I’ll add that to the description and a comment to the video. Plus after tracking the midi messages going out and back in I figured out why this happens (MIDI CC 120 looping back to Digitakt - it doesn’t like that) and will update the Bome script so that it filters that message out.

1 Like

Hey SoundGoonie - after a good comment from Baztek - this may be the issue you encountered when you tried this (there may be others of course…) - double tapping the “Stop” button indeed freezes Digitakt with a loopback. I did some MIDI tracing and it’s because of a MIDI CC message sent out that Digitakt really doesn’t like to receive back. The solution is to filter out that message - I’ll update the Bome script. If you use a regular MIDI cable unfortunately the only solution is not to tap stop twice :confused: unless Elektron issue an update that solve this (though looping back shouldn’t be their “problem”… so who knows). Re RK-002 - I don’t know if they do that as I have not tried their cable but I’ll email them and tell them to add it just in case they’re not aware of this.

2 Likes

Double tapping stop sends a “TELL EVERYONE TO STOP!!”-message, so it does tell all midi connected devices to tell everyone to stop, which is itself, so it tells everyone to stop, which is itself, so it tells everyone to stop, etc etc etc.
It’s not really a bug at all, it is as it should be…

Just got the RK-002 in the mail today preflashed with the Digitakt Polymux + Euclidian DUY patch and I am able to double press stop without any crashes. No crashes at all in fact! Haven’t looked into routing a bunch of midi LFOs to audio tracks yet, but so far so good!

Great!

Agree - like I said, it’s not a problem really until you plug MIDI out to MIDI in… perhaps thought they’ll find a way around it since it’s such a useful thing

1 Like

Just tried doing some midi loopback, and as mentioned by another user in the DT RK-002 thread, the Polymux + Euclidian DUY patch breaks loopback currently.

But, there is another DUY patch example that shows you how to filter MIDI CCs (120 being the culprit for the ALL SOUNDS OFF crash).

The RK-002 thread has some examples of how to set up poly-muxing with Reason and the pizMidi vst suite (free!!!) if any of you are interested.

Also, Loopop I love all your videos! They are all really excellent!

2 Likes

Thanks!

Any idea on how to reproduce the modulating ratchets on Octatrack?
I thought it could be done using the rtrg length, but it seems not to work :unamused:

In the microtiming menu (hold trig + left or right arrow) you can set up to four ratchets per step with the up/down arrows.

Brilliant video. The Digitakt GAS increases…

1 Like

This is all great news - but very keen to hear if the LFOs work from midi to audio. That is one of the key things preventing me pressing the ‘buy’ button!

Any experience so far?

Love watching you’re videos on YouTube, fantastic work.

Rob

1 Like

The entire loopback is just a fun trick and should be seen as that - I wouldn’t make a buying decision based on that… as you saw I was alerted to an issue that I was happy to be able to fix, but I’ve not thoroughly battle tested this… happy to try and solve any other issues that can be recreated if they come up but no guarantees…

1 Like

Thank you! This is very helpful! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Acid-Nab get some!

1 Like