16 Advanced Digitakt Ideas, Tips and Tricks (video)

Hi! I spent quite some time studying Digitakt on my own, on this forum and in other groups, and here’s the result:

I have to admit almost every time I came up with an idea, I saw it here somewhere, but there’s at least one new way of making polyphony happen and hopefully a few other fresh ideas :wink:

53 Likes

Just watched this over coffee. Thanks for making this little box the gift that keeps on giving :slight_smile:

1 Like

Really nice vid. Invaluable for a digitakt noob! :wink: Thanks!

3 Likes

Solid. I like your work. So much better than most YT’ers all up in my face with the big bold text and clickbaity titles, chockful of wack tired ideas. Thank you sir for being such a classy bro!

3 Likes

Really enjoyed this video, learned some stuff, thanks!

1 Like

Sharp ! Thank you

1 Like

When using all 8 tracks for polyphony, the setup process is streamlined by using the trig page to assign notes.

1 Like

Great video, as always!

1 Like

I :heart: Loopop!!!

2 Likes

Right? One chill bro. Nothing turns me off like seeing the faces of gear nerds. We are so unattractive. Focus on the gear

3 Likes

really nice vid cheers. didnt know the pwm trick, thats a nifty one :slightly_smiling_face:

the ‘granular’ part doesnt really work though… the lfo is in retrig mode in your example so you dont hear any change unless you turn a knob. may as well turn the sample start offset knob!

put that baby on S/H

bravo!!! nice work!!

1 Like

Nice video, as always.

The single cycle PWM stuff was new to me, need to try that out when I get the time.

1 Like

Wonderful video!!!

1 Like

I might be dense, but I don’t get the “multiple LFO” trick using MIDI loopback. Basically he said to set up the loop, and there you go. (Draw the rest of the f’ing owl.) How does this help with multiple LFO’s?

Haven’t watched the vid but probably meaning that you can use up to all 8 midi channel lfos to control various parameters on an/a few audio track/s if the midi is set up accordingly.

Hey - I try to aim for multiple experience levels so sorry if I left too much of the owl un-drawn… the methods in this video address two limitations of Digitakt: (1) Only one LFO per audio track (2) not all audio track parameters are addressable as targets by that one LFO.

The way both those problems are solved are by pointing the MIDI LFOs to the audio track parameters, by way of their MIDI CC number (as listed at the end of the manual).

So, for example, the compressor dry/wet mix isn’t addressable as an LFO target, but it can be controlled via MIDI CC 118, via MIDI coming in from the MIDI IN.

What I do, is assign the LFO in one of the MIDI tracks to CC 118. These MIDI instructions get sent out through the MIDI OUT port.

The twist is that, rather than sending MIDI out to an external device, I then connect that back to the Digitakt by plugging the MIDI OUT back into the MIDI IN.

So now, the MIDI track LFO is controlling an Audio track destination parameter.

7 Likes

How does it behave though?. If I had the track lfo set to filter freq for instance and used a midi track to control something else would both happen together or would they interupt each other in the way trigs do?.

They would just run independently depending on how you configure them (say, BPM based or free running, triggered or not, etc). Each would do its own thing, not interrupting the other.

1 Like